Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today is Presidents' Day here in the U.S., where we celebrate our nation's leadership with low, low prices on mattresses. Actually, technically today is still the celebration of George Washington's birthday, as the federal holiday has never been officially changed. The idea of using the occasion to honor the legacy of all the country's previous leaders came from Richard M. Nixon, which probably qualifies as ironic, since Nixon typically ranks very high on polls ranking the worst presidents. Following that theme, and avoiding any living presidents to forestall needless political controversy, I will use my presidents' day to remember the dubious accomplishments of some consensus worst presidents: Nixon, Frankin Pierce, James Buchanan, Ulysses S. Grant, Andrew Johnson, and of course, Warren G. Harding.

R.I.P.: Embattled country star Mindy McCready dead at 37 of apparent suicide.

Presidential Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Ode to Pixel Days.
Science: Scientists unveil new detectors in race to save Earth from next asteroid.
Media: Show us your war (dog) face! Thanks reddit.
Gangnam~Style Cockatoo.
Baby boy laughs like dolphin!.
Follow-up: Showtime, Punxsutawney Phil.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 RollinThundr

Wondering why Jimmy Carter and The Obmessiah aren't on the list of worst presidents, both certainly belong there.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2013, 04:44 InBlack

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 13:46:
Why didn't hey call hemorrhoids assteroids instead?

Those are generally nicknamed Klingons...

I have a nifty blue line!

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 23:11 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 22:22:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:56:
Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 18:23:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 17:51:
Best part of President's day? x1.5 Holiday pay.

So, finally something you can thank the democrats for.

Thank them for what exactly? You want me to pat them on the back for trying to rid me of my pension and current pay increases? While they vote themselves record increases, lifetime benefits, and 100% pension?

Don't start that shit man.

Yeah, you're right. My bad. I keep forgetting it's always been the GOp that's pro-union.

LOL!

I haven't mentioned any party - but am getting very tired of the finger pointing. Read my tag line - it applies to both sides of the isle. It isn't a left vs right problem - it is an American People vs Govt problem....

Reminds me of a conversation I had last night over dinner/drinks with a friend who owns 2 restaurants. I have known him a long time, when he was just a bar tender a couple times a week at a local pub. We have very different views about the world, which is fine (I am a middle leaning Republican and I can only imagine he is a die hard liberal by the way our conversations usually evolve), but he isn't the type to look at things from more than 1 viewpoint. We were talking about the proposed minimum wage increase, along with that came the proposed business to business tax. They became the same discussion, and at one point he basically said "well, I am ok with both, cause I can just pass the increases onto the customer". I then responded, that is very Republican of you.

Now, I am not sure he caught the gravity of my comment, nor do I think he understands what it meant other than me trying ot be a prick with a shit eating grin on my facace....But it was quickly the end of the conversation as he got up and walked away....but I am not sure it was because he realizes I just made him what he thinks he hates the most, or if he was so upset about something I can't pinpoint that he no longer wanted to be in my company. I dunno.

There is a lot more to it I am sure, all of which I can't share here, but I don't agree with the min wage increase and I sure as hell don't agree with the b2b tax. oh well. We shall see what happens.

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2013, 23:30.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 22:22 Cutter

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 21:56:

Thank them for what exactly? You want me to pat them on the back for trying to rid me of my pension and current pay increases? While they vote themselves record increases, lifetime benefits, and 100% pension?

Yeah, you're right. My bad. I keep forgetting it's always been the GOp that's pro-union.

LOL!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 21:56 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 20:53 Kosumo

As a dope smoking hippie I totally back an asteroid detection system but not for interfearing with the asteroid as it's just doing its cosmic thing and we should not touch it, we should move the earth, then when its passed, move the earth back. (we can move the earth with love!) Crazy  

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 19:11 Wowbagger_TIP

PHJF wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 18:26:

or unions?
That's what he said, democrats

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

21. Re: New asteroid detector? Feb 18, 2013, 18:42 NewMaxx

Armengar wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:13:
Why bother with an asteroid detector? It isnt like we can do anything useful about them. They either burn up or obliterate the earth. Pretty much the only options with our firepower.

Umm...so people have enough advance warning to evacuate?

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 18:26 PHJF

or unions?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 18:23 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 17:51 xXBatmanXx

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 16:47 1badmf

i'm surprised all of you are so bleak about asteroid detection. the point has (almost) never been to spot the one on our doorstep and blow it up just in the nick of time - you've seen armageddon a few too many times if you think so. the likelihood of that happening is extremely low in any case. the main purpose of our tracking programs is to plot the orbits of all the ones we do see so that we can predict when one will hit earth.

can we stop one if it hits us next year? or even 5 years? probably not. but could we stop one if we predicted it was going to hit us in 100 years? almost guaranteed. i don't see how that's a waste of money at all.

creston are you dutch or are you american? you keep wavering back and forth like an amoral congressman.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 15:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 10:05:
To even things out - because we were short a holiday up here compared to the US - they gave us "Family Day". I have no idea what it means but if we were picking days for holidays most people would choose Halloween I'm sure.

I might choose the day after Halloween...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

15. Re: New asteroid detector? Feb 18, 2013, 15:16 mag

Why bother with an asteroid detector? It isnt like we can do anything useful about them. They either burn up or obliterate the earth. Pretty much the only options with our firepower.

For one like we just saw, you could warn people, "Hey. Stay away from windows."

For one a couple times bigger, you can say, "Take normal tornado precautions."

For the really enormous ones that we spot really early--we actually do have the technology to divert them, given ample lead time.

There's a wide gulf between planet killers and shooting stars that we can have people prepare for.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 14:28 Hoop

Letters were sent to every town cryer around the world to ring their bells extra hard so as to be heard over the sonic boom of passing asteriods. Also to forego "here ye here ye" & cut straight to "giant fucking asteroid" in a loud persuasive manner.  

Um .. Behind you...

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 13:46 Cutter

Why didn't hey call hemorrhoids assteroids instead?  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2013, 13:14 dj LiTh

RIP Dr. Jerry Buss  

11. Re: New asteroid detector? Feb 18, 2013, 13:14 Panickd

Because some of us like to be able to plan our days. I for one would like to know if an asteroid is going to interrupt vacation plans so that I can take it early.

10. Re: New asteroid detector? Feb 18, 2013, 11:36 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 11:24:
The scary part is I saw "Terry" and my brain somehow translated it to "Tyler Perry", so now we have an alternate plan of "Madea Goes To Space".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. Rotfl

Creston

9. Re: New asteroid detector? Feb 18, 2013, 11:24 nin

Hey, if we need to send someone up to save humanity, I'll sure as fuck send Bruce Willis before I send Terry Bradshaw Robert Duvall! What if there had been aliens on that asteroid? Bruce Willis would have kicked their ass!

The scary part is I saw "Terry" and my brain somehow translated it to "Tyler Perry", so now we have an alternate plan of "Madea Goes To Space".

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo