Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny Announced for Consoles

The Destiny Website now offers the promised first details about Bungie's upcoming mystery game. This will be a first-person shooter, but our hopes that Bungie's emancipation from Microsoft might lead them towards the light of the PC (the proper platform for FPS games) are dashed for the moment by word that this is coming to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, promising: "Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay, including story, cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes combined with public and social activities." This will be an online game, and there are previews on Wired.com (thanks Neutronbeam) and Kotaku outlining Bungie's ambitions for this project. Here's a trailer.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 19, 2013, 00:44 2nd_floor

Myth and Myth 2 (didn't play Myth 3) were such fantastic games. Could they not do a reboot of the Myth series? I guess it wouldn't work on consoles maybe, to much fine mouse/keyboard control?

To the poster on page 1 or 2 who said "Halo: Destiny", couldn't agree more, laugh, from this trailer anyway!

Almost as good of a laugh or initial disappointment as World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria!

Although I do agree with Bungie (if this is what they are getting at), that gaming is not (or soon will not be) just about PCs at your desk and consoles in the living room anymore. It is much more connected to phones, tablets, Facebook, anything portable/online now, and they want to make a game that somehow connects and can be played or enjoyed (comparing characters maybe, or a mini-game, if not full out played) on anything portable, shareable, etc.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 19:57 SectorEffector

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
You're grown men. Stop being petty, stop exaggerating, and stop blindly hating. I'm all for thinking Halo games suck, but I'll never say to someone at Bungie "gee, aren't you guys stupid for being one of the most successful studios of all time!"

Bringo. And I read a press release from today saying the PC version is officially planned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

44. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 17:48 yuastnav

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 12:39:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 05:39:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 05:02:
They revamped the equipment system, the skill system, the combat and the party system.
In this case: Revamping = dumbing down. A lot!

In comparison to Gothic, Risen 2 was nice and simple action game with a few RPG elements. I am GLAD, that the sales of Risen 2 weren't nearly as high as expected. As with Gothic 4: Arcania, the attempt to gain a broader audience for a once dedicated niche RPG franchise was not very sucessful. RPG fans do not want a watered down gameplay and "casual" players have no interest in a game they knew only as a complicated and time consuming RPG.

Not really sure what you're talking about. In the Gothic games, your armor was always full body. In R2, you could choose individual components, each with their own unique attributes and bonuses. That's not dumbing down. That's the exact opposite of dumbing down. Same with the skill system. In R2, they added a bunch of active abilities, in addition to the attributes and passive skills. They also added skill checks during dialogue, something sorely lacking from the Gothic series. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down. Then they added a proper companion system, unlike the Gothic games where you only had companions for certain quests. The new companions are much more fleshed out and have unique abilities that compliment the player. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down.

The only part that was actually dumbed down was the animals' day/night cycle reactions. Unlike Gothic, the animals in R2 never sleep, which was disappointing. Oh, there was also the fact that you could only choose from two factions instead of three, but this was compensated by the fact that the story missions were generally much more open-ended.

Damn you Jerykk, you actually kinda make me want to play Risen 2 now. :>
Well, I still hope that they get away from that action/adventure with rpg elements fantasy rpg to something else, like an action/adventure with rpg elements in a science fiction setting. :p
[edit]
I think I do remember that someone from that mentioned in an interview a long time ago, something about science fiction. Oh well, who knows what will happen. Still sad that KaiRo departed.

43. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 12:39 Jerykk

Kajetan wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 05:39:
They revamped the equipment system, the skill system, the combat and the party system.

In comparison to Gothic, Risen 2 was nice and simple action game with a few RPG elements. I am GLAD, that the sales of Risen 2 weren't nearly as high as expected. As with Gothic 4: Arcania, the attempt to gain a broader audience for a once dedicated niche RPG franchise was not very sucessful. RPG fans do not want a watered down gameplay and "casual" players have no interest in a game they knew only as a complicated and time consuming RPG.

Not really sure what you're talking about. In the Gothic games, your armor was always full body. In R2, you could choose individual components, each with their own unique attributes and bonuses. That's not dumbing down. That's the exact opposite of dumbing down. Same with the skill system. In R2, they added a bunch of active abilities, in addition to the attributes and passive skills. They also added skill checks during dialogue, something sorely lacking from the Gothic series. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down. Then they added a proper companion system, unlike the Gothic games where you only had companions for certain quests. The new companions are much more fleshed out and have unique abilities that compliment the player. Again, exact opposite of dumbing down.

The only part that was actually dumbed down was the animals' day/night cycle reactions. Unlike Gothic, the animals in R2 never sleep, which was disappointing. Oh, there was also the fact that you could only choose from two factions instead of three, but this was compensated by the fact that the story missions were generally much more open-ended.

42. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 11:14 Creston

I love RPS' translation of the dude's quote.

I’m sure what he meant to say was, “We couldn’t be bothered to make a PC version,” but for some reason it came out as, “Blurble flurble flipple-flopple ploooooooo.”

Creston

41. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 10:34 Creston

Wow, it's good that you guys managed to flee Microsoft and become independent, Bungie. Nobody would have ever expected you to make another FPS. Rolleyes

My prediction of "Call of Duty in Space" was fairly accurate, methinks.

Creston

40. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 08:36 John

Klaus Flouride wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:40:
I was excited until I read the online only part. Fuck that shit.
Agreed. I'll pass.

This space is available for rent

39. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 08:10 Omni

More space aliens halo clone shooter with a fake as fuck patriotic generic shit story.

fuck me senseless they sure are creative.

Also consoles.

38. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 07:14 Reactor

Yawn. I'm going back to play more System Shock 2.

+1

37. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 05:39 Kajetan

36. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 05:02 Jerykk

Gothic 1 is probably my most favourite game of all time and this is basically the same game that Piranha Bytes did over and over again. I didn't finish Risen, nor did I even buy Risen 2. Why? Because I am sick and tired of them making the same game, over and over again. I want something new.

Risen 2 was actually the biggest departure from the norm for PB. They revamped the equipment system, the skill system, the combat and the party system.

35. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 Bhruic

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 22:34:
But that's not the argument the original poster made.

Yes it was. The argument was that they have a warped view of what the FPS genre should be. And the argument has a lot going for it, as the lack of PC support certainly demonstrates that warping - not to mention some of the quotes already posted in this thread. If you disagree, by all means, make an argument against that, but strawmaning the argument doesn't help in the slightest.

You're grown men. Stop being petty, stop exaggerating, and stop blindly hating. I'm all for thinking Halo games suck, but I'll never say to someone at Bungie "gee, aren't you guys stupid for being one of the most successful studios of all time!"

And continuing the strawman. Seriously, point out a single person in the entire thread who's said anything even close to that. I guess I should say try and point out, because no one has.

34. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 03:34 yuastnav

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 22:34:
[...]
But that's not the argument the original poster made. He called them idiots for making the game millions of people love.
[...]
I'm all for thinking Halo games suck, but I'll never say to someone at Bungie "gee, aren't you guys stupid for being one of the most successful studios of all time!"

In a sense he is right though. They are idiots for making the same game, if this is true, not because it brings them a lot of money but because they do it's the same game.
Gothic 1 is probably my most favourite game of all time and this is basically the same game that Piranha Bytes did over and over again. I didn't finish Risen, nor did I even buy Risen 2. Why? Because I am sick and tired of them making the same game, over and over again. I want something new.
And this is also how I feel about Bungie. If they want to make the same game to shill the masses with the same concept/gameplay so it makes them money - fine. But I will still think they are idiots because remaking the same game shows because they fail to innovate and are incapable of coming up with something new. Maybe I am wrong, maybe it will be completely different. If not then it is not unreasonable for calling them idiots.

To be honest though: I wouldn't even care; let them make their stupid game. But the fact that Jason Jones has the audacity to say "And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to." instead of being honest and saying someting like "We will not bring this game to the PC because we don't know anything about how to make a successful PC shooter/don't know how to make something new/don't want to make it for the PC just because/some other reason." is rage inducing. You call the other poster arrogant and stupid? Saying that no one plays shooters the way they used to is arrogant and stupid. Either there is a massive reality distortion field around him he is purposefully saying stupid stuff like that to troll PC gamers.
Because this is what that sounds like. It's on the level of 4chan trolling. Which doesn't speak in his favour and makes them even more forgettable.

33. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 02:06 Kajetan

Jerykk wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 01:39:
I'm not sure how they can make that statement with a straight face.
When marketing not only markets your game, but begins shaping your thoughts and actions, thats when you start talking bull. Just look at Randy Pitchfail. This guy was talking smack for years and now he starts to believe in his own lies, resulting in this horrible failure named Colonial Marines.

32. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 01:39 Jerykk

I don't have an issue with this game being Halo-esque (despite the fact that I don't like Halo), nor do I have an issue with the game being console-exclusive (since I don't care about it). I do take issue with Bungie's ignorant statement regarding shooters on PC, though:

Bungie saying stupid shit

I'm not sure how they can make that statement with a straight face. Nobody likes using M/KB for shooters anymore? Really? Tell that to the millions of PC gamers who play TF2, CS, CoD, BF, Planetside, Tribes, UT, Quake, Natural Selection, etc, on a daily basis. Seriously, Jason Jones must be the most retarded person in the games industry. Amazing stupidity.

31. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 18, 2013, 00:47 Straylight

Beamer, as we say in the DAYZ community. You have my beans sir.

30. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 22:59 jacobvandy

So I guess it's too much to ask for a grown man like yourself, Beamer, to understand basic logic and thus avoid crafting your argument around a straw man fallacy? I never called them names, I stated my opinion on this new project of theirs:

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:51:
So they were brainwashed by Microsoft's Xbox Division and now that they're on their own again, they still have that warped view of what the FPS genre should be. Great... Really makes me interested in the horse crap you're pushing (not).

That you had to make shit up to rail against does make it easy to believe you're just a pissy fanboy with his own agenda to get across.

29. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 22:55 Flatline

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:17:
Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:48:
Yawn. I'm going back to play more System Shock 2.

I'll celebrate that with some Witcher...

An entirely agreeable alternative!

28. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 22:34 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:31:
Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
But to say that they are idiots for making another Haloesque game is asinine. This is their wheelhouse. This is what they do best. This is what they love doing. This makes them millions upon millions of dollars (no speculation needed.)
No, their idiots for making it for current-gen consoles and not releasing it on PC. And there's nothing wrong with criticising a company for whoring itself out.

I don't blame Bungie for sticking to a similar style of game but I resent them for making the same shitty mistakes.

But that's not the argument the original poster made. He called them idiots for making the game millions of people love. Not for selling out, and not for not releasing that game for the PC.

Again, it's like saying that Maroon Five sucks for not making albums more like Converge.
If you want to argue that Maroon Five just sucks, that's fine, I'm with you. But arguing that their new album sounding like their last album instead of sounding like a small niche that you personally love is just... arrogant and stupid.

And to the guy claiming I'm some huge Halo fan, the last Halo I played was 3. Didn't play Reach, didn't play 4. If I'm some huge fan, odds are pretty high I would have played 4 instead of Borderlands, FTL, Orcs Must Die 2 and Saints Row 4 - the games I've put endless hours into since Halo 4 was launched.
It's amazing that people here are mature adults and still fall back to the "if you don't hate everything about something that must mean you must love it" argument that Xbox and PS3 fans always do on message boards.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 22:04 Tumbler

And lot of the language they used plus the phone interaction have me concerned. How do you keep people coming back for 50 to 100 hours of game play month after month. Then that phone message thing saying Venus is awesome tonight. It sounds like an mmo. No sub but the only way you can have that much content is to make those cookie cutter missions in mmos. They could be talking about something like planet side 2 which would be interesting or maybe dust 514. I hope it's something like borderlands where there is a sp story to play through and others can join you on the fly.  
99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo