Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Destiny Announced for Consoles

The Destiny Website now offers the promised first details about Bungie's upcoming mystery game. This will be a first-person shooter, but our hopes that Bungie's emancipation from Microsoft might lead them towards the light of the PC (the proper platform for FPS games) are dashed for the moment by word that this is coming to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, promising: "Unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay, including story, cooperative and competitive multiplayer modes combined with public and social activities." This will be an online game, and there are previews on Wired.com (thanks Neutronbeam) and Kotaku outlining Bungie's ambitions for this project. Here's a trailer.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:31 theyarecomingforyou

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
But to say that they are idiots for making another Haloesque game is asinine. This is their wheelhouse. This is what they do best. This is what they love doing. This makes them millions upon millions of dollars (no speculation needed.)
No, their idiots for making it for current-gen consoles and not releasing it on PC. And there's nothing wrong with criticising a company for whoring itself out.

I don't blame Bungie for sticking to a similar style of game but I resent them for making the same shitty mistakes.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:30 Zardoz5

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:20:
They hopped out of bed with MS...and right into bed with Activision.

Here ya go.
Fast reply, haha! I knew about that deal but that is just an exclusive publishing agreement, where as Sessler talks about them buying Bungie outright. Perhaps he is just phrasing it in a incorrect manner, but he says purchase and acquisition of Bungie by Activision, which too me is not the same as the publishing deal you linked too.

I am I mishearing him or wat? I hope so, cause any company bought by Activision ends up being closed or their games turn to shit.

Edit: I need a twitter account to ask him what he meant.

24. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:20 nin

Zardoz5 wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:18:
DrEvil wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:14:
It really sounds like an "all-in" bet by both Activision and Bungie. If this doesn't work out, they're screwed (well, Bungie is anyway).
Today all in the hoopla around the announcement I ended watching a vid by Adam Sessler and in it he mentions the acquisition of Bungie by Activision. Several times... Is he off is meds or did that actually happen? Its the first time I've heard of Bungie being bought by Activision. The purchase references start about 3:39ish and he mentions the purchase again at 4:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zTEJwp6sg&feature=em-uploademail

They hopped out of bed with MS...and right into bed with Activision.

Here ya go.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

23. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:18 Zardoz5

DrEvil wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:14:
It really sounds like an "all-in" bet by both Activision and Bungie. If this doesn't work out, they're screwed (well, Bungie is anyway).
Today all in the hoopla around the announcement I ended watching a vid by Adam Sessler and in it he mentions the acquisition of Bungie by Activision. Several times... Is he off is meds or did that actually happen? Its the first time I've heard of Bungie being bought by Activision. The purchase references start about 3:39ish and he mentions the purchase again at 4:12.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8zTEJwp6sg&feature=em-uploademail

22. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:09 Fantaz

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 21:04:
Quboid wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:36:
Eirikrautha wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:01:
Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:00:
jacobvandy wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:51:
So they were brainwashed by Microsoft's Xbox Division and now that they're on their own again, they still have that warped view of what the FPS genre should be. Great... Really makes me interested in the horse crap you're pushing (not).

Yes, it should be what the know how to do best and what they created one of the best selling video game series and titles of all time.

I love when people say "oh, so they're doing something similar to what made them beloved and rich? What idiots!"

Is it sad that I knew this post was from Beamer before I even looked at the name?

Dude, I HOPE to God you are getting a cut of some game company's profits, and not just parroting the corporate line for nothing. I mean, at least a whore is making money... but a slut is just a slut...

Care to make an argument against what he stated, or is this just a drive-by ad hominem attack? What he stated is perfectly reasonable IMHO, but then I'm probably being paid too - after all, that's more likely than two people actually being dumb enough to have a different view to yours.

It's just standard assery from certain posters here.

They make the argument like "their warped view of what an FPS can be." They're one of the best selling FPS games of all time. Know all those FPS games we love on the PC?
Bungie blew it out of the water.

If people want to complain about them not innovating, they can probably make that complaint, though we have no clue with Destiny just yet, do they? And I wouldn't argue with them about it.

But to say that they are idiots for making another Haloesque game is asinine. This is their wheelhouse. This is what they do best. This is what they love doing. This makes them millions upon millions of dollars (no speculation needed.)

Sometimes I wonder if certain posters here write letters to Taylor Swift calling her an idiot for not making songs more like Opeth.

Spoken like a true Halo/Xbox fanboy.

21. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 21:04 Beamer

Quboid wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:36:
So they were brainwashed by Microsoft's Xbox Division and now that they're on their own again, they still have that warped view of what the FPS genre should be. Great... Really makes me interested in the horse crap you're pushing (not).

Yes, it should be what the know how to do best and what they created one of the best selling video game series and titles of all time.

I love when people say "oh, so they're doing something similar to what made them beloved and rich? What idiots!"

Is it sad that I knew this post was from Beamer before I even looked at the name?

Dude, I HOPE to God you are getting a cut of some game company's profits, and not just parroting the corporate line for nothing. I mean, at least a whore is making money... but a slut is just a slut...

Care to make an argument against what he stated, or is this just a drive-by ad hominem attack? What he stated is perfectly reasonable IMHO, but then I'm probably being paid too - after all, that's more likely than two people actually being dumb enough to have a different view to yours.

It's just standard assery from certain posters here.

They make the argument like "their warped view of what an FPS can be." They're one of the best selling FPS games of all time. Know all those FPS games we love on the PC?
Bungie blew it out of the water.

If people want to complain about them not innovating, they can probably make that complaint, though we have no clue with Destiny just yet, do they? And I wouldn't argue with them about it.

Sometimes I wonder if certain posters here write letters to Taylor Swift calling her an idiot for not making songs more like Opeth.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:55 Wowbagger_TIP

He's exactly right though. Making FPS games for the dude-bro console market makes them a shit-ton of money. By PC standards the games suck ass, but for consoles, they are considered good. They've found their niche, which is why Bungie is irrelevant to me.

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 17:43:
I believe it's coming to pcs later, like next year...

As another half-assed port I suppose?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

19. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:36 Quboid

- Quboid

18. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:32 bigspender

so bungie are making a game for consoles that nobody will care about in about 12 months time - which is probably when Destiny will be released.

are they morons?

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.

17. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:24 LArac

And if it does come to PCs it will be a port, so no need really.

16. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:17 nin

Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:48:
Yawn. I'm going back to play more System Shock 2.

I'll celebrate that with some Witcher...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

15. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:15 Fantaz

Flatline wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:48:

Yeh, no PC = no love from me.

The gameplay graphics in that video looks like standard outdated console graphics. PS4/720 next-gen games have been long overdue.

14. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:14 DrEvil

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:40:
1AngryGamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:33:
Well there's a no buy.

A new game on 10 year old consoles. GG Bungie

Zackly. And it's nothing more than Halo: Destiny anyway. Bungie is irrelevant.

And not only that, they're betting the whole company on this. According to a recent interview, they have over *350* in-house developers working on this. Holy burn rate Batman! On top of that, they've also said repeatedly there will be no subscription fee.

13. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 20:01 Eirikrautha

12. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:48 Flatline

11. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:40 Cutter

1AngryGamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:33:
Well there's a no buy.

Zackly. And it's nothing more than Halo: Destiny anyway. Bungie is irrelevant.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:33 Angrius Maximis

Well there's a no buy.

9. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:21 Graham

ITT: none of the millions of people who will buy, play, or enjoy Destiny.

It sucks that PC isn't the lead platform for this, but he's right in that Halo did kick off the era of the console FPS. Many of the things that we, as PC gamers, hate stem are listed as bullet points in that paragraph above.

But you must admit that it made them rich, and has helped to put gaming into the living rooms of a hell of a lot of people across North America and Europe. We can get all neckbeardy about it, but it doesn't make him any less correct. The only really debatable part of the quote above is that "because no one wants to..." Now that one is definitely up for grabs.

8. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:18 jacobvandy

Bungie didn't make themselves successful and rich (speculation), Microsoft did by making Halo THE game you get for an Xbox. It was a first-party title, meaning the publisher TOLD THEM WHAT TO DO. Now they go into interviews saying "Yeah, we made an FPS 12 years ago that sold really well, so we're going to follow that same formula now and you should expect to have your minds blown the same way all over again!"

Halo was not a great game. On PC it was average at best compared to everything else. It had great marketing, and tapped into a segment of the population that had no real alternative. If all Bungie is doing now, independently, is churning out more of the same for all platforms? Not. Interested. Even ignoring the asshattery they're spewing from their mouths, any game that has to be introduced as "from the developers of Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty" goes immediately on my ignore list.

7. Re: Destiny Announced for Consoles Feb 17, 2013, 19:00 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo