Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues?

Steam forums and Mod DB have indications that a recent Half-Life update may have broken mod support in Valve's first-person shooter. This originates from the creators of the Cry of Fear mod, and there are a couple of threads about support for that mod, and according to their post, the problem seems to impact other mods, and a fix may be out of their hands: "We're not sure if we can release a hotfix for these problems, since it's a lot of changes made to the engine that causes it." Thanks Ant.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 19, 2013, 03:44 mystery8

I keep an old installs of Half-Life 1.0.1.6 and 1.1.1.0 (Pre-Steam) for just this reason. It doesn't have the updates and fun stuff like 1920x1080 support, but it gets the job done and can run mods.

Hope they correct this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 15:01 Undead Scottsman

No, that's an entirely different issue. I was just responding to the guy who was talking about Valve "Lucasing" Half-Life

Mod support is a combination of the file structure changing (which Valve will fix or provide a way for people to easily fix) and I'm guessing engine code changes (which I have no clue if Valve can fix it, but here's hoping)

11. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 11:35 Creston

Undead Scottsman wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 07:58:
The new content thingy got fixed. What happened is the "High Definition Content Pack" that originally came with Half-Life: Blue Shift, got permanently added to the game, without a way to turn it off. Valve has since added a menu command to turn it on and off though.

And that broke the mods? Weird.

Creston

10. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 09:10 nin

Undead Scottsman wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 07:58:
The new content thingy got fixed. What happened is the "High Definition Content Pack" that originally came with Half-Life: Blue Shift, got permanently added to the game, without a way to turn it off. Valve has since added a menu command to turn it on and off though.

Yea!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 07:58 Undead Scottsman

8. Workflow Feb 18, 2013, 04:02 headkase

An improvement you say?

http://xkcd.com/1172/

There's an xkcd comic for every situation.

7. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 18, 2013, 00:57 jimnms

The forum posts linked mentioned that the path has changed from steamapps/user/half life to steamapps/common/half life, but I just checked my Steam directory and I still have half life under my username, and not in the common dir.  

Steam Profile

6. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 22:30 Wallshadows

I heard it had to do with a new installation path from someone on Team Speak. If that's the case, wouldn't Valve have to edit the installer to its original path or is it an issue between the installation path between Windows and Linux?

Granted, this would wipe out the HL folder and force a reinstall if it makes sense outside of my head...

5. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 22:10 nin

I noticed HL for linux uses different models and textures for the characters

Really? Wonder why they'd do that...making changes to HL vanilla is getting into Lucas territory.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 21:57 SirKnight

I noticed HL for linux uses different models and textures for the characters. I liked the originals better (despite the fact that they are chunkier and less detailed).  

3. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 21:33 eRe4s3r

This is actually kinda horrible.. there is no way any of the old mods will be updated ever. Valve just in 1 fell swoop wiped out one of the most important modding legacies in gaming history... let's hope they fix it, because if not.. that's a lot of negative karma...  

2. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 21:21 jacobvandy

This happened when they ported it to Linux recently.  

1. Re: Half-Life Update Causing Mod Issues? Feb 17, 2013, 20:15 Techie714

Wait, HL is still getting updates? WTH? LOL  

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer