Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 20, 2013, 14:25 RollinThundr

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 20:30:
I just want to say that when the insanity of trollindundar shows up, you people brought this on yourselves...

Like I've said before, it's always liberals who can't accept dissenting opinion without resorting to name calling, or breaking out the race card when disagreed with. Same ol song and dance.

Still waiting on a budget to be passed by this administration. Congress has sent at least 2 to the senate floor, shame they're both still sitting on Harry Reid's desk because voting and passing a budget would give Obama and company one less thing to blame the GOP for.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 16:18 xXBatmanXx

shinchan0s wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 09:05:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:43:
Corporations are supposed to pay an alternative minimum tax of 20% if their deductions take them lower than that. Not sure why this didn't apply here, but Facebook should have paid $200m. It's shit like this (and offshoring profits to places like Ireland) that's a big contributor to the debt.

First year corps are exempt from AMT and NOLs can bring AMT taxes down to zero.

Dunno what the big deal is. ESOP deduction has been in the IRC for years (yes, before Emperor Obama and his jackbooted thugs took over). Besides, there is no corporate equivalent of EIC - the refund is probably all from estimated tax payments.

Don't know what the big deal is?

Did you look at the list I linked?

No big deal?

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 09:05 shinchan0s

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 19:43:
Corporations are supposed to pay an alternative minimum tax of 20% if their deductions take them lower than that. Not sure why this didn't apply here, but Facebook should have paid $200m. It's shit like this (and offshoring profits to places like Ireland) that's a big contributor to the debt.

First year corps are exempt from AMT and NOLs can bring AMT taxes down to zero.

Dunno what the big deal is. ESOP deduction has been in the IRC for years (yes, before Emperor Obama and his jackbooted thugs took over). Besides, there is no corporate equivalent of EIC - the refund is probably all from estimated tax payments.

19. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 08:23 InBlack

MUGWUMP wrote on Feb 18, 2013, 08:02:
...and while liberals/conservative bicker and point fingers, ALL of the politicians laugh on the way to the bank.

Big business owns the left and the right.

Yeah pretty much this. Corporations should not be allowed to lobby by law. It should be made as an amendment to your Constitution. After all are corporations allowed to vote? Politicians should not be allowed to recieve any campaign moneys other than from private citizens and even then there should be a fixed limit on the amount they are allowed to recieve and spend on campaigns or whatever. This of course will never happen without a revolution. I wish I could say good luck, goodbye and thanks for all the fish, but sadly Im not a dolphin...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 08:02 MUGWUMP

...and while liberals/conservative bicker and point fingers, ALL of the politicians laugh on the way to the bank.

Big business owns the left and the right.

17. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 03:33 jimnms

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 18:17:
That FB story makes me sick, and what makes me even more mad (in a time when the President is making TRILLION dollar increases to our debt and increasing taxes on the working man) is this: An article linked on that page citing the worst tax dogers in Corporate America....

Your turn Obama.....your turn....

It's actually the Congress job to set taxes, the budget and approve how much the president can be spent to get it all done. It's all political BS.

http://youtu.be/KIbkoop4AYE

Steam Profile

16. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 02:12 jdreyer

I just want to say that when the insanity of trollindundar shows up, you people brought this on yourselves...

I'm the kind of person opposed to name calling, but "trollindundar" cracked me up. And I actually like thundr, even though I think he's misguided.

Also, I'm the kind of person that likes to use logic and argument to try and bring people to my side. However, I read a study (grr, can't find it) recently that showed that ridicule was much more effective in converting people to a certain point of view. Political viewpoints can become as embedded as faith, and essentially logically unassailable. But the fear of being laughed at is so powerful that it can actually dislodge firmly held belief. Not sure if I can bring myself to do that, but now reason and logic seem like the harder way. Anyway, food for thought.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 18, 2013, 00:45 Bhruic

That FB story makes me sick, and what makes me even more mad (in a time when the President is making TRILLION dollar increases to our debt and increasing taxes on the working man) is this: An article linked on that page citing the worst tax dogers in Corporate America....

Yup, because if Obama were to try and do something about it (not that he can do much more than lobby congress about it), there's no chance that the right would end up hammering him for going after "job creators".

14. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 22:29 Creston

I hate the GOP and the Democrats equally for this fucking bullshit. Facebook gets 500 million dollars in REFUNDS, and at the same time every single citizen's taxes go up by 2%? That's just fucking horseshit.

And all Washington does is keep its bloated carcass in power, and there's nothing we can fucking do about it.

Creston

13. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 21:45 Dades

Liberals gurgle gurf obamacare liberals barry liberals media liberal stealin all the gunz liberals liberals.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

12. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 20:30 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 20:15 killer_roach

You have to understand why Facebook paid zero income tax. It's all legal, and a protection they won't have after a few years.

10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 20:02 Cutter

Why do you keep blaming the democrats for this nonsense when it was the GOP that introduced that sort of corporate welfare in the first place? When the GOP won't allow the democrats to remove it, nor actually make their big biz cronies pay any actual tax, much less increase it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 19:51 Orphic Resonance

yeh obama is just the other side of the coin that belongs to the same corporatocracy.. society did manage to exit from that feudalistic mindset for a little while, but by now its been effectively industrialized along with everything else

the problems begin and end with "we the people".. its not about making the "perfect" system because people are incapable of doing that - they just arent ready for utopia, they still want to be monkeys and fight over who owns the banana tree

thats why they are so fucking easy to manipulate, its why they bend right over and take it up the ass from the people who own the power to actually make things happen (i.e. piles of money)..

people are cock-puppets because they want to be... and when they refuse to acknowledge it, thats what seals the deal

8. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 19:47 jdreyer

That librarian lawsuit sounds like a classic SLAPP. Doesn't Canada have laws against that?  

7. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 19:43 jdreyer

I'd just like to point out that Obama only enforces the laws. It's the House's job to introduce and change them, and the Senate's job to refine them. If you think the Republicans are going to do anything to RAISE taxes on Corporations you're crazy. The Dems are also co-opted by corporations, but at least they would consider changing the law in this regard.

EDIT: What Redmask said. Also, this entire situation is a huge point in favor of publicly funded elections. Get ALL donations above say $200 per individual or corporation out of politics. Citizens United was a disaster, but it was completely broken before that anyway.

6. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 19:32 Redmask

Obama can't do anything about it. The republicans will blockade everything out of spite and both parties are beholden to the same corporate interests anyway. It is an unfixable situation, corporations own politics now, they are no longer of the people.

5. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 19:30 TurdFergasun

funny you didn't seem so passionate against going into iraq on a lie, which killed thousands upon thousands of americans and iraqis, ruined america's dwindling reputation around teh world and removal of financial sector oversight which seeded the current financial crisis you're currently bleating about. oh i guess that would be complaining about the actual cause and not shaking your fist at the first convenient target that doesn't fit your crooked ideology. get a grip you trog.

4. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 18:17 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Feb 17, 2013, 18:09 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 17:45:
Side note, it's funny that for all the complaints about sequel-itis and a lack of original IP, the biggest titles on KS are all sequels, either direct or spiritual.

That's true, but it's also for sequels that publishers weren't interested in.

Or even in some cases abandoned, or near abandoned, genres.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo