Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer

This trailer offers a new look at Star Trek: The Video Game, the upcoming Kirk and Spock co-op action game. The clip features gameplay footage, and commentary from Paramount's Brian Miller, executive producer on the game. "Kirk is this brash cowboy character, whereas Spock is the exact opposite and when you break down Star Trek to those elements, you had to make a co-op game," Miller explains. "There was no other game we could possibly make."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

32. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 23:24 Redmask

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 20:46:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:10:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:40:
I think people nit pick too much. I'll leave it at that. I think this is just meant to market the license and have some fun. It definitely isn't aimed at diehard fans of the original series.

Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole? I found it to be atrocious, the recasting of most of the characters was decent enough but everything else felt so opposite of what Star Trek should be. Just look at that freeze frame from this video clip, pretty movie accurate. How did something that god awful ever get approved.

As far as I can tell most fans have accepted it. I have. I liked it.

It was ok, felt like an extremely generic action movie with a Star Trek theme and featured some ridiculous JJ Abrams tropes from his other work. Not that Star Trek movies haven't been terrible before, it was at least a mildly entertaining action movie but it was far from the kind of real ST movie I want to see.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 22:32 Fantaz

Acleacius wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:36:
Hope it's great but something just doesn't feel right after that trailer. The way the developer acted like he was so excited about the game he just peed himself.

The camera view is ridiculous.

He's not a developer, he's some guys from the publishing side... the developer is Digital Extreme's and they aren't even really credited anywhere.

Bhruic wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 18:35:
I mean, you get to sit in the captain's chair! How awesome is that? And they have great spacedives! If there's one thing Star Trek is known for, it's their diving.

30. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 22:04 Cutter

TOS and TNG are the only real Star Trek work to date.  

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

29. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 21:44 wtf_man

NewMaxx wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 21:29:
but to at all call it a "Star Trek" movie is pushing it a bit...which is why it's a "reboot."

So you are saying that TOS really isn't Star Trek, and TNG, onward, really is?

I find that rather insulting.

The only reason TOS was campy was because it was extremely low budget, and the television execs didn't understand it, so they put in a shitty time slot, which is why it got cancelled with only 3 seasons. It only caught on when the syndicated re-runs ran early enough for kids to watch it... then the ratings went through the roof, and Star Trek, as the cult classic was born. The ratings in the early 70's were so much higher than the original air-dates, that they made an Animated Series with most of the original cast doing the voices.

Saying or implying that it "isn't really Star Trek", or it isn't "as intelligent as the newer series" is outright blasphemy!

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2013, 21:59.

28. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 21:29 NewMaxx

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 20:46:

notsureifserious.gif

It paid lip service to the diehard fans (he said "diehard fans," not "fans") but that's about it. To be fair, TOS was pretty campy and intended for a wide audience, so the reboot in that respect isn't too far off the mark. Fans of the more intelligent and nerdy parts of TNG, DS9, and Voyager, however, facepalmed their way out of the theater. There was literally only one part of the movie I actually liked and it came far too late, and was far too short. I can appreciate TOS for its time, of course, and likewise the reboot for its intent, but to at all call it a "Star Trek" movie is pushing it a bit...which is why it's a "reboot."

Keep in mind that there's a distinct difference between the series and the movies. I mentioned the series above - I was less a fan of the movies - but those who loved the movies (again, diehards) are liable to find even more at fault with this one, although in a way I think the goal of a wider audience was done well.

27. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 20:46 Silicon Avatar

I think people nit pick too much. I'll leave it at that. I think this is just meant to market the license and have some fun. It definitely isn't aimed at diehard fans of the original series.

Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole? I found it to be atrocious, the recasting of most of the characters was decent enough but everything else felt so opposite of what Star Trek should be. Just look at that freeze frame from this video clip, pretty movie accurate. How did something that god awful ever get approved.

The movie did a pretty good job of being movie Star Trek. Series Star Trek has a different feel and that hasn't been rebooted. I'd welcome a reboot of it too though. I still like TOS, but I'm ok with new things.

If I were still a big FPS guy this game would probably appeal to me. It seems ok for a movie-tie in game. I'm just more into RPGs right now.

26. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 18:40 The Half Elf

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 17:20:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 12:29:
Pre-Order the Season Pass and get 25% extra Len's Flares!

Who is Len, and why does he have so many Flares?

Creston
Shirley you must be joking, let me be Frank!

As for 'accepting' the reboot. As someone who HIGHLY DISLIKES TOS, I can tolerate the reboot, but there are just GLARING issues that just bug the the wrong way.

But it's better then The Phantom Menace and Aliens: CM so I can't bitch too much.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

25. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 18:35 Quinn

What I've learned from the 2 hours of playing Dead Space 3 is that co-op and storytelling just doesn't go together. My cousin and I were flying in space having no idea what the fuck we were actually trying to accomplish -- and we're both very story sensitive gamers! -- and we suddenly saw another NPC we were supposed to know hanging on an engine part. He towed it back to some other place and gave Clarke some bitchy remark, like the two had a close enough relationship for a bitchy remark, and my cousin and I still had no clue who the fuck the guy was...

No. Co-op and storytelling doesn't go together. I hope they fucking ditch this new thang that crept into the gaming industry. And fast.

PS: For all the smart-asses at the ready to tell me co-op is nothing new.. let me say that I know that. What is rather new, though, is this Dead Space 3 kinda thing. This singleplayer/co-op deformed hybrid. Ditch it. Burn it. Forget it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

24. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 18:35 Bhruic

I'd be less inclined to nitpick if the guy was less inclined to overly hype the game.

I mean, you get to sit in the captain's chair! How awesome is that? And they have great spacedives! If there's one thing Star Trek is known for, it's their diving.

23. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 18:03 Optional Nickname!

That trailer was very well done. By well done I mean in the sense that I don't want to beam that Paramount Executive into space, in a very wide and random, dispersal pattern after watching it.

22. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 17:57 nin

While many think the timeline split is lame... I am happy that they came up with *something* that wouldn't damage the original series stories, and I think that showed respect to the TOS IP, and the original cast.

That, exactly.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 17:42 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 17:22:
Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole?

I did. It wasn't TNG or DS9, but I thought it was pretty good, especially compared to having NO Star Trek whatsoever.

I liked it too, and I grew up on TOS.

While many think the timeline split is lame... I am happy that they came up with *something* that wouldn't damage the original series stories, and I think that showed respect to the TOS IP, and the original cast.

I also think the new cast and direction did well at capturing 'the essence' of the original characters. That had to be really difficult.

As for the movie having too much action... I say BS. The best TOS movie, IMO, was ST:II Wrath of Khan, and it was fairly heavily action oriented... and my two favorite TOS episodes are ship battles.. (Balance of Terror and Doomsday Machine)... So, all the TNG fans need to suck it up... Kirk ain't no Federation Diplomat!

(Not that I dislike TNG, but TOS was a different animal... while they still were morality plays... they weren't as diplomacy oriented)

20. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 17:22 Creston

Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole?

I did. It wasn't TNG or DS9, but I thought it was pretty good, especially compared to having NO Star Trek whatsoever.

Because the movie did so well, Paramount is actually talking/pre-producing another TV show, set after Voyager's timeline. So who knows.

I'm pretty excited for the next movie.

Creston

19. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 17:20 Creston

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 12:29:
Pre-Order the Season Pass and get 25% extra Len's Flares!

Who is Len, and why does he have so many Flares?

Creston

18. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 16:32 Flatline

saluk wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 16:08:

Some fans like it and some don't. I loved it. I don't get the whole "what star trek should be" thing when it's been so many things over the years. The whole alternate reality thing was a bit cheesy, but you can pick a handful of cheesier worse things in any series of the show. And if you don't like it, that conceit makes it pretty easy for you to just not accept it as canon - because it isn't really.

And the movie was on the whole a lot better than the last few next gen films. It's not even close to the worst of the Trek films.

This game on the other hand looks pretty bad. And the narrator sounds like someone watching the trailer for the first time and narrating it without having a clue about the game, the license, or any knowledge of game design whatsoever.

Time travel was so goddamn cliche in Star Trek that it was an uphill struggle to get me on board with the alternate reality thing. It's been done, very well, in a few instances (ST 4 and the DS9 episode where they went "behind the scenes" in the trouble with tribbles, that was EXCELLENT), but generally speaking I would have preferred a new reboot instead of an alternate reality.

As much as I like Simon Pegg, Scotty was there for comedy relief. In fact, it seems like a lot of characters were there for comedy relief. The reboot actually felt less like Star Trek and more like someone whose closest familiarity with Star Trek was Galaxy Quest. I don't understand why sci-fi has to have comedy relief in it these days anyway, but it seems to be the big thing. I'm fine with the occasional funny beat, but introducing goofy over the top characters for a laugh in an otherwise straight story is a hollywood cliche that needs to die.

17. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 16:08 saluk

Some fans like it and some don't. I loved it. I don't get the whole "what star trek should be" thing when it's been so many things over the years. The whole alternate reality thing was a bit cheesy, but you can pick a handful of cheesier worse things in any series of the show. And if you don't like it, that conceit makes it pretty easy for you to just not accept it as canon - because it isn't really.

And the movie was on the whole a lot better than the last few next gen films. It's not even close to the worst of the Trek films.

This game on the other hand looks pretty bad. And the narrator sounds like someone watching the trailer for the first time and narrating it without having a clue about the game, the license, or any knowledge of game design whatsoever.

16. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 15:36 Acleacius

Hope it's great but something just doesn't feel right after that trailer. The way the developer acted like he was so excited about the game he just peed himself.

The camera view is ridiculous.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

15. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 15:10 DangerDog

14. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 14:59 DangerDog

They've masterfully captured the blinding lens flare effect from the movies.  

13. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 14:54 nin

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:45:
Anyone else remember the really good Star Trek RPG/adventures that Interplay made (before they started to suck)? I want more Star Trek games like that.

How about a kickstarted updated to egatrek? That was the shit back in the day...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo