Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer

This trailer offers a new look at Star Trek: The Video Game, the upcoming Kirk and Spock co-op action game. The clip features gameplay footage, and commentary from Paramount's Brian Miller, executive producer on the game. "Kirk is this brash cowboy character, whereas Spock is the exact opposite and when you break down Star Trek to those elements, you had to make a co-op game," Miller explains. "There was no other game we could possibly make."

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 18, 2013, 08:33 InBlack

I hope the goddamn new movie features some scientific mystery. You know as in Science-Fiction. Everyone forgets what a big part of Star Trek that always was, people just remember "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN"

This comment was edited on Feb 18, 2013, 08:45.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 18, 2013, 01:03 Redmask

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 16:32:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 14:44:
the series didnt need to be "rebooted", just modernized - and JJ failed utterly at that task although he probably had no one holding him back anyways
He didn't write the script/story. He directed the film. Very different. He was the director, not the set designer, stage dresser, costume designer etc.

If you don't think he had any influence on his best friend who wrote the script or through being the producer and director of the film, I don't know what more to say.

Over there, off in the distance, do you see it? It's bright and sparkling. Keep looking.

50. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 19:18 Orphic Resonance

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 16:32:
the series didnt need to be "rebooted", just modernized - and JJ failed utterly at that task although he probably had no one holding him back anyways
He didn't write the script/story. He directed the film. Very different. He was the director, not the set designer, stage dresser, costume designer etc.

Directed by J. J. Abrams
Produced by J. J. Abrams
Damon Lindelof

apparently you are not aware of what the role of a producer is

regardless of who you wish to blame or not, my opinion on the end result stands as it is

49. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 16:34 Ray Marden

The game looks like a crude movie tie-in game designed to be little more than a cash grab. I hope I am wrong, but I did not see any deep component to the game and it reminds me a lot of other tie-ins.

As for the new Star Trek, it is a good popcorn flick, but I think it is probably is a poor Star Trek film. It focuses on action and style, it feels like a generic science-fiction film wearing Star Trek clothing, it certainly does not respect the core ideas of Star Trek/Rodenberry, has a few absurd or illogical moments, etc. More than these items, they neither continued the Star Trek world nor refreshed it - they just tossed out yet another time traveling story, changed one point, and then basically agreed to retell the existing stories, but with minor tweaks.

It is a fun, stupid action film, but I really have no idea what it has to do with Star Trek or what it added to the overall story/series.
DS9 is the best in the series. Hands down.
Trying out Crossfire for the first time,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

48. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 16:32 netnerd85

47. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 14:55 Jivaro

I found the new movie entertaining for an "origin" movie. None of the Star Trek movies, TOS or TNG, were ever as good as any season of the shows, so I tend to look at the movies as separate entities. If future Star Trek movies featuring this cast are this focused on action they will still be entertaining but it is my hope that they do incorporate some of the focus on the moral and ethical issues that past movies have spent time on. Maybe I am not "trekkie" enough to be bothered if they don't, but I will say that I would speculate that it would, generally speaking, make them better movies.

Also...the Transformers movies were BAD movies. Regardless of whether you are a fan of Transformers or not, they were just bad. Bad casting, bad script. They had awesome CGI and action sequences, so if you could get past the bad they were probably enjoyable to you. The last Star Trek movie was not a bad movie in those ways. The casting was well done, the script was more then adequate, and CGI was excellent. You may not have liked the direction it took the franchise but to compare the Star Trek movie to any of the new Transformers movies as being similar is ludicrous. In my opinion of course.

46. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 14:44 Orphic Resonance

wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 14:18:
Perhaps I just look at the movie differently than most.

Maybe being light on the morality issues had to be done because they were establishing the timeline split... so it's really a beginning.

And technically... there were morality things brought up, they just were not "in your face". Resolution conflict with others and within ones self (Spock Specifically). Kirk's persistance to fight for what he believe's is right (taking on the Roumans instead of regrouping with the fleet).

If you don't like the movie because it wasn't being "preachy", like most episodes of either series, that is fine, and that is your opinion. But others feel that the essence of the original series characters is there, and there is more to come as the movies dig deeper into those characters. Remember, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were intended really represent different facets of one person.... which was brilliant of Roddenberry... and those facets have to really come out in order to start dealing with morality issues on a higher level. The first movie concentrated more on the timeline split than anything... now there's more room to explore other areas.

thats not how i see it

to me, the essence of star trek has always been about adventure, discovery, exploration, and mystery - its like "twilight zone" in space, with serialized characters.. the utopian ethics are not the primary focus IMO, but they do provide an interesting backdrop

the JJ movie was pretty much full-tilt popcorn action movie, which is not a problem on its own - but you could have tossed out every single star trek reference or idea and set it in some generic sci-fi setting and the movie would not have been any different nor would it have suffered in any way - and conversely, it did not gain anything from the star trek themes/characters/settings that were there

the series didnt need to be "rebooted", just modernized - and JJ failed utterly at that task although he probably had no one holding him back anyways so you have to wonder if anybody is at the helm anymore to begin with - in other words, star trek is most likely dead at this point.. the new re-animated corpse is not the same, in any way shape or form, yes thats my opinion but i know plenty of other fans share it

with all of that said - i think the new movie may be trying to go against the purely superficial action of the other one.. it seems like it has the possibility to be more cerebral, but who knows - im willing to give it a shot

but ultimately i think of star trek as more of a serial show, and all of the movies are much less iconic to me.. i appreciate all the series, (tos - tng - ds9 - voyager - enterprise) in different ways, ive seen all of them.. my personal fav was DS9, i think it realized the most star-trek-ness in the best way, but thats my personal opinion

then again im not stupid enough to think my personal opinions are the same thing as "the way it is" in actual fact - and on that basis, i disregard the subjectivity of others just as easily.. especially the drooling morons that cant tell the difference

45. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 14:18 wtf_man

Perhaps I just look at the movie differently than most.

Maybe being light on the morality issues had to be done because they were establishing the timeline split... so it's really a beginning.

And technically... there were morality things brought up, they just were not "in your face". Resolution conflict with others and within ones self (Spock Specifically). Kirk's persistance to fight for what he believe's is right (taking on the Roumans instead of regrouping with the fleet).

If you don't like the movie because it wasn't being "preachy", like most episodes of either series, that is fine, and that is your opinion. But others feel that the essence of the original series characters is there, and there is more to come as the movies dig deeper into those characters. Remember, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy were intended really represent different facets of one person.... which was brilliant of Roddenberry... and those facets have to really come out in order to start dealing with morality issues on a higher level. The first movie concentrated more on the timeline split than anything... now there's more room to explore other areas.

44. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 13:50 nin

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 13:41:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 13:00:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 10:35:
Star Trek always was about ethics. Not just action.
TOS was in a time where the world simply wasnt ready for more advanced ethics. And even the stuff they implemented, like colored and Russian people on the bridge, was a huge deal back then. Also it was a 60s theme. You cant expect a 60s series to be like the ones from nowadays. TNG on the other hand made it much clearer.

The remake is an abomination in all kinds of ways, real fans havent accepted it. Only the ones who thought they are real fans and people who werent fans before - exactly like it was planned. This has nothing to do with Star Trek. Even Transformers has more in common with it than real Star Trek.

I certainly recognize that Star Trek was intended to be morality plays all along, and I even said so. I also recognize that the 60's series had their limitations, yet pushed the limit for their time, and the 80's series had could deal with things that weren't a big deal in the 60's. Hell, the TV execs wouldn't let a woman be the 1st officer (Pilot pitch episode), and it was pushing the envelope for Kirk and Uhura to kiss on the air, back then, which neither would be a big deal in the 80s.

That doesn't mean that liking the action portions of the series (either the 60's or the 80's) makes anyone less of a fan... and claiming that they are not a 'real fans' because they don't agree with people regarding the new movie, or that one series vs. another is any more intelligent over another... is asinine. Everyone has a right to their opinion on what the like or don't like... and it is possible to enjoy action while appreciating the morality side as well. People like you look like arrogant asshats that obviously didn't absorb ANYTHING that "Star Trek's "advanced" Ethics" tried to teach.

Who the hell are you (or anyone else) to say whether I'm a "REAL" fan or not? I was probably a fan before your were even born.

I said it already. Because Star Trek, how Roddenberry intended it, was about that, and not only about brainless action and lens flares.
Its like putting a VW engine into a Ferrari and then wondering why many people say it isnt a real Ferrari anymore.
Get a clue.

Eventually a franchise grows large enough (star wars being another example) where it appeals to a wide range of people for different reasons. To say that one group is more correct/a better group of fan/etc etc is at best just your opinion (and at worst, rude).

You may not like the Abrams changes to Trek like I didn't like the SW prequels, but it's understood large properties can't always be everything to everyone. Times change, people change and age, and so does the material that comes out of these endeavors.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

43. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 13:41 Muscular Beaver

wtf_man wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 13:00:
TOS was in a time where the world simply wasnt ready for more advanced ethics. And even the stuff they implemented, like colored and Russian people on the bridge, was a huge deal back then. Also it was a 60s theme. You cant expect a 60s series to be like the ones from nowadays. TNG on the other hand made it much clearer.

The remake is an abomination in all kinds of ways, real fans havent accepted it. Only the ones who thought they are real fans and people who werent fans before - exactly like it was planned. This has nothing to do with Star Trek. Even Transformers has more in common with it than real Star Trek.

I certainly recognize that Star Trek was intended to be morality plays all along, and I even said so. I also recognize that the 60's series had their limitations, yet pushed the limit for their time, and the 80's series had could deal with things that weren't a big deal in the 60's. Hell, the TV execs wouldn't let a woman be the 1st officer (Pilot pitch episode), and it was pushing the envelope for Kirk and Uhura to kiss on the air, back then, which neither would be a big deal in the 80s.

That doesn't mean that liking the action portions of the series (either the 60's or the 80's) makes anyone less of a fan... and claiming that they are not a 'real fans' because they don't agree with people regarding the new movie, or that one series vs. another is any more intelligent over another... is asinine. Everyone has a right to their opinion on what the like or don't like... and it is possible to enjoy action while appreciating the morality side as well. People like you look like arrogant asshats that obviously didn't absorb ANYTHING that "Star Trek's "advanced" Ethics" tried to teach.

Who the hell are you (or anyone else) to say whether I'm a "REAL" fan or not? I was probably a fan before your were even born.

I said it already. Because Star Trek, how Roddenberry intended it, was about that, and not only about brainless action and lens flares. These ethics depicted in Star Trek influenced many generations.

Its like putting a VW engine into a Ferrari and then wondering why many people say it isnt a real Ferrari anymore.
Get a clue.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

42. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 13:00 wtf_man

41. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 12:42 datachasm

i loved the new Trek, i consider myself a Trek fan... i love TOS, i can abide TNG which simply was not nearly as good (imo), and the rest are blah. yes i mean DS9, Voyager, Enterprise. none really capture the thrill of TOS, but the movie does. not really a fan of Nero... he seemed like the same old TNG villian, just another anthropomorphic butthead. i like how Kirk really stands out as a leader driving the crew to do things they might not like... excellent. also i loved Pike's involvement.

that having been said... dunno about this game. i was plenty stoked about it at first but the more i see the more wary i am.

i can live without "driving" the Enterprise 3rd person... c'mon! co-op from the bridge is what i would wanna see. i can imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg for lazy game design on this one.

40. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 Muscular Beaver

wtf_man wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 21:44:
NewMaxx wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 21:29:
but to at all call it a "Star Trek" movie is pushing it a bit...which is why it's a "reboot."

So you are saying that TOS really isn't Star Trek, and TNG, onward, really is?

I find that rather insulting.

The only reason TOS was campy was because it was extremely low budget, and the television execs didn't understand it, so they put in a shitty time slot, which is why it got cancelled with only 3 seasons. It only caught on when the syndicated re-runs ran early enough for kids to watch it... then the ratings went through the roof, and Star Trek, as the cult classic was born. The ratings in the early 70's were so much higher than the original air-dates, that they made an Animated Series with most of the original cast doing the voices.

Saying or implying that it "isn't really Star Trek", or it isn't "as intelligent as the newer series" is outright blasphemy!

- Mojo Jojo

39. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 10:19 Muscular Beaver

This trailer makes finally clear what the target audience of all this remake shit is.
Thanks at least for that.

- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2013, 07:38 Rigs

Wow...just wow...I'm talking about some of the comments here, not the trailer, btw...

What we need to do is just agree here and now that, like every other geeky/nerdy debate (Mac vs PC, PC vs Console, Apple vs MS, Coke vs Pepsi, Black vs Whi...wait...) some of us are going to like the new Star Trek movie(s) and some of us aren't. Personally, I liked it very much and it's a fav of mine. I thought the TNG movies just didn't have the 'punch'-factor like the previous TOS/TMP-era movies did, for whatever reason. There were nice glimpses and near misses in all of them but not one movie that people can stand up and say, 'Yeah! That kicked ass!'.

Generations was ok, in parts, glaring plot holes excused. It was nice to see the 'D' in movie form, but it kinda pissed me off that they turned around and blew the damn thing up! They get themselves out of tight squeezes for over 7 years in the series and in one movie, they manage to blow the damn thing to hell?! It felt forced and really unnecessary to me. It was cool, no doubt, but sad that they had to take it that far for their first damn movie...

Then, of course, the 'fan-fav' of the TNG movie circuit, First Contact. You know, for me, personally, the Borg were never a big draw for me to watch. Yes, BoBW was cool to watch, if for seeing all the ship kitbashes all blown to pieces that you'd never seen before, but the Borg themselves were kinda...'meh'. I get it, they're evil. Fine. But it seems like they try to stuff it down my throat whenever they get a little screen time. Dark, moody theme music, funky dark, mechanical look. All well n' good. Just the premise of what they are and how they work in the universe is just kinda plain. You see it in the games, they're always the 'evil race'. No if's, and's or but's about it. No room for much character development. The space combat scene in the beginning is awesome, yes. Of course it's the highlight but the rest of the movie kinda drags on after. And, once again, some of the plot leaves itself looking like Swiss cheese when looked at more closely. This would probably be the closest to TNG's Wrath of Khan as Nemesis just totally missed any redeeming qualities that put it any where near there...

The movies after FC seem to blend together and really aren't very memorable or likeable. Insurrection I found to be on par with TMP's Final Frontier (ouch), just not very enjoyable and certainly not something I'd grab to introduce someone to the Trek universe. Nemesis was a little better but still not that memorable. They had such a diverse history from the series and the TNG universe itself to pull from, like exploring anything for any of the episodes in the TNG series and yet they kept thinking NEW things up instead, which I thought was just dumb. Why no go back and explore some of the more memorable episodes and expand on them? They had the chance to really do some good stuff and choose to just be ho-hum about the whole thing. Not to mention actually going out of their way to retcon some serious head-scratchers. The one that sticks in my mind the most right now is the use of a fucking JOYSTICK in Insurrection to control the Enterprise! That right there showed how much the producers really cared about what they were doing and the movie they were making. I have no doubt the cast would have loved to go back and do something from their series past but Mr. Bigshot himself, Rick Berman, always had the final say in everything and he decided to just pour mud on something that could have been great... (I liken him to Brain Fargo, whom I will NEVER forgive for killing 'Secret of Vulcan Fury' and canning the 'Klingon Academy' dev team just a month and a half after release, shortly after the second patch. Not to mention FORCING them to use the practically broken 'Starfleet Academy' code to build 'KA' from in the first place...)

As for this game, it looks pretty interesting but seeing how the industry as a whole and recent big releases have been lately, I'll hold my opinion until there's something more substantial to give it on...

nin wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:54:
How about a kickstarted updated to egatrek? That was the shit back in the day...

Funny you mention that, nin, as I've been working on an 'update' to it for a while now. Just design wise as I don't know programming but I have a lot of ideas on how a modern 'EgaTrek' could look like and work. There have been other fan-made games out there in the same spirit as 'EgaTrek'. Check out TrekCore and this list for more. Actually, I feel that the game 'Rules of Engagement 2' is very much in the spirit of a Trek type of game. I play it quite a bit still today, albeit in DOSBOX, but it runs fine and is very detailed. I once had the physical version of it, which had three manuals, one being like over 200 pages and the other around 100. Wish I still had it now! I can't find the manuals anywhere online for 'ROE2'. The first one, yes. Not the second. But if you guys are looking for something like 'EGATrek' just maybe a little better graphics and a little more depth (including managing captains, ships and combat strategy), you can't go wrong with 'ROE2'....

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

37. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 06:50 netnerd85

1AngryGamer wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 05:20:
You people will pre order anything. Sucker born every minute. This game will suck

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 00:16:
I like it. Looks good for a coop game, despite the blurry console textures and Randy Pitchford stand in marketing dude.

Will wait and see.

Could you girls be anymore hissy & pissy?
Why the fuck did you quote me? Did I say I pre-ordered it? No fucking way.

36. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 05:20 Angrius Maximis

You people will pre order anything. Sucker born every minute. This game will suck

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 00:16:
I like it. Looks good for a coop game, despite the blurry console textures and Randy Pitchford stand in marketing dude.

Will wait and see.

35. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 00:35 Orphic Resonance

Redmask wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 23:24:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 20:46:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:10:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:40:
I think people nit pick too much. I'll leave it at that. I think this is just meant to market the license and have some fun. It definitely isn't aimed at diehard fans of the original series.

Have diehard Star Trek fans accepted the reboot on a whole? I found it to be atrocious, the recasting of most of the characters was decent enough but everything else felt so opposite of what Star Trek should be. Just look at that freeze frame from this video clip, pretty movie accurate. How did something that god awful ever get approved.

As far as I can tell most fans have accepted it. I have. I liked it.

It was ok, felt like an extremely generic action movie with a Star Trek theme and featured some ridiculous JJ Abrams tropes from his other work. Not that Star Trek movies haven't been terrible before, it was at least a mildly entertaining action movie but it was far from the kind of real ST movie I want to see.

exactly.. the JJ movie was crap - it had no katra

34. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 17, 2013, 00:16 netnerd85

Will wait and see.

33. Re: Star Trek: The Video Game Trailer Feb 16, 2013, 23:30 Ant

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 14:45:
Anyone else remember the really good Star Trek RPG/adventures that Interplay made (before they started to suck)? I want more Star Trek games like that.
I do. I loved its space combat scenes, but adventure game = meh for me.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo