Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DayZ Update

The DayZ Blog has an update on what the team behind the upcoming standalone zombie game based on the Arma II modification has been up to over the past couple of weeks. Word is Bohemia Interactive has expanded the development team, that internal closed multiplayer testing continues, and that their lead programmer continues the process of revising the game's architecture to use the client/server model. They also discuss the inventory system and art, and in looking forward to the game's release, and in answer to questions about clothing choices, say users should expect new content releases every week.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: DayZ Update Feb 18, 2013, 08:45 Muscular Beaver

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 16:35:
Hate to sound callous here, but... That pretty much falls into the learn2play category. You need to be more careful and stealthy when you have nothing to defend yourself with. That goes for hostile players and zombies alike. Also learn how to bug out, evasively maneuver, tactically retreat, i.e. run the hell away safely. And avoid big cities like the plague, they are the most dangerous places because there is lots of loot -> lots of players -> lots of fighting.

But if you're going to be so sensitive about dying and having to start over at a moment's notice, you're just not going to like the game, period. That happens to veteran/geared up players, too. Sometimes you just get got, so you live with it and move on. Getting better at the game just means increasing the average period of time in between that happening.

Oh, I dont care if I get killed by normal things like players or Zombies.
But I do mind very much so, if I get killed because I "fall" 40 inches, die because I get too close to a tree or lose months work because tents disappear or are not properly hideable. Not to mention all the "hacked" servers that simply have hacked items laying everywhere, so that you never really know if its hacked or if you really are that lucky to for example find several high capacity backpacks in a supermarket, while on other servers you search ages for a single tent.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 16:35 jacobvandy

Hate to sound callous here, but... That pretty much falls into the learn2play category. You need to be more careful and stealthy when you have nothing to defend yourself with. That goes for hostile players and zombies alike. Also learn how to bug out, evasively maneuver, tactically retreat, i.e. run the hell away safely. And avoid big cities like the plague, they are the most dangerous places because there is lots of loot -> lots of players -> lots of fighting.

But if you're going to be so sensitive about dying and having to start over at a moment's notice, you're just not going to like the game, period. That happens to veteran/geared up players, too. Sometimes you just get got, so you live with it and move on. Getting better at the game just means increasing the average period of time in between that happening.

14. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 16:27 xXBatmanXx

Also, when you accept that fact that 99% of the ppl you come across will shoot first and ask if you are friendly later, the game becomes even more of a survival quest and more fun, imo. I am so excited for the standalone!

That is what makes the game not fun to me. Start out with nothing, get shot. Done. Restart. That isnt' fun.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 08:41 JayDeath

zombiefan wrote on Feb 17, 2013, 00:20:
DayZ was a fun distraction, but the engine is shit.

Not the zombie apocalypse game that I'm still waiting for. I want barricading, scavenging, and a dynamic that allows for people to team up; not shoot each other dead the second they see one another. DayZ had that at the start, until everyone decided fuck everybody else. They need to work out the cooperation mechanic before I sign on. I want PVE and GVG (groups vs groups).

There is a game in the works called State of Decay that sounds like it will have fortifications to build and defend.

I am still playing the DayZ alpha and loving it. I have almost 400 hours logged and I can't seen to stop playing it. The game gets really fun when you team up with other players. Also, when you accept that fact that 99% of the ppl you come across will shoot first and ask if you are friendly later, the game becomes even more of a survival quest and more fun, imo. I am so excited for the standalone!

Steam: Henry Krinkle

Why isn't there a remake of Westworld?

12. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 07:36 Raptor

I sense great bitterness here, someone paid too much for DayZ before?

A quick google or reading the linked page or youtube pretty much explains what the new DayZ standalone project is about, what it looks like and what the goals are, so I don't understand the guessing that still goes on about some of the aspects.

And as for the player killing aspect of it, then I thought Rocket didn't really want to artificially cut into this mechanic much. It just shows that people are complete bastards.
Although I think that something should and probably is being done to encourage working together more then it just shows that an average person these days is incapable to play any game differently from general running and shooting - whatever the rules or settings.

The measures to force this to play out any differently are probably too great to fluidly fit into the overall mechanic without being too apparent and restrictive.

11. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 01:30 jacobvandy

They have said they're working on it. Trimming animations to make player control a lot more responsive and/or completely re-doing the worst looking bits.  

10. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 00:20 zombiefan

DayZ was a fun distraction, but the engine is shit.

Not the zombie apocalypse game that I'm still waiting for. I want barricading, scavenging, and a dynamic that allows for people to team up; not shoot each other dead the second they see one another. DayZ had that at the start, until everyone decided fuck everybody else. They need to work out the cooperation mechanic before I sign on. I want PVE and GVG (groups vs groups).

9. Re: DayZ Update Feb 17, 2013, 00:19 netnerd85

Dmitri_M wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 21:59:
The standalone product's engine won't satisfy players.
Have you seen the videos of it so far? the graphical improvements are really great.

As for the movement, well, that probably won't change, no.

8. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 23:44 Bhruic

The standalone product's engine won't satisfy players. People who have come to BI's engine thanks to DayZ probably expect some huge improvements to the engine for the standalone, but they don't realise that when BI say they're going to make improvements it's all very understated.

The main enhancement of note is switching the majority of the game to the server. That's going to eliminate a large amount of the hacking that goes on in the game, which will definitely contribute to the overall enjoyment. I don't think that aspect will be understated.

If anyone is expecting a large improvement in the visual aspects, then yes, they will probably be left wanting.

7. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 22:54 LittleMe

The standalone product's engine won't satisfy players. People who have come to BI's engine thanks to DayZ probably expect some huge improvements to the engine for the standalone, but they don't realise that when BI say they're going to make improvements it's all very understated.

If it's lucky it'll feature ported features from VBS, but that's about it. BI have supported their products wonderfully over the years. The problem is most of that support is band aiding and tiny incremental improvements of the dated engine.

They need to throw out all of the code related to animation and player movement and start over. Keep the player's view attached to the head, independent of the gun (unlike every other FPS) but quit relying on the peculiar movement system where animations cannot be paused once they're initiated. Will BI discard something that has been present in their engine since the late 1990s? No. By now it's probably reams of uncommented mess that no one could even begin to unravel or correct.

I agree with with what you say there, especially the first two paragraphs. But I think they will and indeed are starting to throw out the old clunky code for animations, etc that's burdened us for so long. Maybe for DayZ II they will make an entirely new engine but I'm guessing that's only if sales are very good.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 21:59 Dmitri_M

If it's lucky it'll feature ported features from VBS, but that's about it. BI have supported their products wonderfully over the years. The problem is most of that support is band aiding and tiny incremental improvements of the dated engine.

They need to throw out all of the code related to animation and player movement and start over. Keep the player's view attached to the head, independent of the gun (unlike every other FPS) but quit relying on the peculiar movement system where animations cannot be paused once they're initiated. Will BI discard something that has been present in their engine since the late 1990s? No. By now it's probably reams of uncommented mess that no one could even begin to unravel or correct.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2013, 22:05.

5. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 18:43 The Half Elf

If you take a look at anything that is a content update and/or patch that's been released lately they have made sure to use the word FREE. It all marketing buzz to promote the game.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 17:57 Kosh401

Rocket/Dean has said on Reddit he's hoping for free content updates along the lines of how content was added freely to Minecraft. Specifically just this week, he also said he hoped the Standalone sells so well that literally everything will be free for the lifetime of the game (I took this to mean heavy development stuff, like the underground shelters, new maps, etc.).

We'll see, either way I can't wait to give this a go. It'll be worth the price of admission.

3. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 16:16 netnerd85

jacobvandy wrote on Feb 16, 2013, 15:47:
Lol, funny how people have been brainwashed to think "content updates" means paid DLC...
No it's just the expectation. "content update" is marketing jazz for DLC, I've never seen it used to describe free shit.

Patch or Update can mean free content. I think the dark ages are behind us though, it seems a few companies are starting to give us free stuff again - yay!

2. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 15:47 jacobvandy

Lol, funny how people have been brainwashed to think "content updates" means paid DLC...  

1. Re: DayZ Update Feb 16, 2013, 14:32 netnerd85

This means that, on release, there will be less weapons in the standalone - but it allows us the ability to continue each week to release content updates with new weapons and items
Not buying DLC clothes

@Ray23estRay - If there will be any further map releases for DayZ in the future,will they be released as DLC content for money?
We are starting our planning process for this, but we don’t have any idea how we would monetize it. There are issues with the DLC model we would want to avoid. We’re hoping we will be so successful in sales, that we can just release as a free content update.
You already make a ton of money on the mod

Not sounding good.

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo