Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blood Revival Shelved

A post on The Postmortem has word from former Monolith CEO Jace Hall that hoa proposal to update the original version of Blood to work on modern PCs and other operating systems has been quashed by rights-holder Atari (thanks Polygon). Here's word on the fate of the old-school shooter:

Dear Blood Community:

I just got an unusually short, one sentence e-mail from Atari, letting me know that given the current set of circumstances, they are choosing to decline to proceed.

Obviously, I am disappointed. Particularly given Atari's continued encouragement along with the amount of time, effort and correspondence that I have put into this venture.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with ATARI, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.

Tears and Sadness, Jace Hall

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 17, 2013, 06:56 NKD

King of teh Monstars!  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 20:43 Hump

IP law sucks a bag of dicks.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 17:01 Wookiestick

This made me a little sad, I love Blood. It, in my humble subjective opinion, is one of the most underrated games of all time. Also, thanks to Jace Hall for pushing to make this happen-- you, sir, rock. I wish more devs had his philosophies.  

Love thy wookie.

24. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 16:50 siapnar

Jerykk wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 22:50:
On a side note, I'm not sure why people love Shogo so much. I don't remember it being particularly notable. There were better mech games out at the time (Heavy Gear, Mechwarrior and Earthsiege) and there were better shooters out there too.
The mech play wasn't really what grabbed me, it was the on foot gunplay, as ItBurn pointed out.

I just loved the meaty feeling of the dual pistols and way enemies reacted and died to gunfire. The blood sprays and over-the-top attitude of the game were also awesome.

The explosion and blood effects were ahead of it's time.
Just struck the right chord with me.

Granted, it had it's share of problems.

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

23. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 15:29 Acleacius

atari did we mention, you suuck?

Nothing should be a higher priority for Monolith, than NOLF 3!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

22. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 12:03 Ant

Fantaz wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 23:46:
zombiefan wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 23:06:
Fuck you, Atari.

And fuck Shogo. I want NOLF 3.

I wouldn't say that about Shogo, I'd love to see Shogo 2. But screw Blood... I'd much rather have a NOLF sequel.
NOLF and Cate Archer FTW! However, it needs to be good and funny.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

21. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 11:31 ItBurn

Shogo was great for the time. It wasn't a mech game. It was a first person shooter where you fought on foot, but also in a mech. Being in the mech just meant that you were much taller and had different weapons. The graphics today are so bad that I'd say it's unplayable.

Blood 2 got bad reviews, was unplayable because of bad performance at the time and was mostly hated by the fans. It's very different from the first game, but after a couple of years, I replayed it and it's a fun game with some unique ideas. Contrary to Shogo, it still holds up graphically and is definitely playable.

The first Blood is a marvel. Everything is done right. Levels, physics, weapons, humor, story, characters, atmosphere, blood effects, difficulty, online modes, full campaign coop, lots of content, simple/powerful map editor and the gameplay in general. It still looks good today, granted, it's not real 3D. It's kinda like a cartoon that always looks good regardless of its age. To this day, it's the most furious and hilarious deathmatch out there.

20. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 10:26 Lit_Reflex001

I was involved in the closed beta and actually got two of my ideas implemented.

One of them, blood spatter on the ground whenever blood came into contact with it, was scrapped probably due to repetitive graphics from the arterial sprays.

The other, well, let's just say if you ever kicked around a severed head on the ground, you can thank me and some programmer.

19. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 09:57 Burrito of Peace

Blood introduced me to Type O Negative.

Does anyone else remember the incredibly artifacted video of "Love You to Death" on the CD?

18. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 08:29 PHJF

Fuck you, Atari.

Hey don't you go forgetting Contract J.A.C.K., in all its mediocre glory.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 08:06 CutterZane

Ah yes, the videogame industry's habit of squatting on their own properties, shooting down any attempt by fans to generate interest in them again while doing nothing of the sort themselves...

And on that note, Dungeon Keeper 3 please EA. And don't turn it into a first-person shooter like the mangled Syndicate reboot

16. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 06:44 pagb

FUUUUUUUUU  

15. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 05:00 SM0k3

Shame.....I miss Caleb's dark humor, I'd be happy to shell out cash for it granted they didn't screw it up.  

14. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 02:07 Tanto Edge

ItBurn wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 21:35:
Sh*t. F*ck. I'd empty my pockets for this.

Me too, but what could we get for three feet of rubber hose and a broken tea cup?

How about the lint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

13. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 01:27 El Pit

Next:
Atari Shelved - Blood Revival Back on Track

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

12. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 16, 2013, 01:11 edaciousx

Shogo was really fun. blood 2 i heard sucked, blood 1 was fun, humorous gameplay.  

11. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 15, 2013, 23:46 Fantaz

Fuck you, Atari.

I wouldn't say that about Shogo, I'd love to see Shogo 2. But screw Blood... I'd much rather have a NOLF sequel.

10. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 15, 2013, 23:40 nin

fujiJuice wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 23:23:
Was that basically "wait till they go under and it shouldn't be a problem" at the end there?

Sounds like it, yeah.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 15, 2013, 23:23 fujiJuice

Was that basically "wait till they go under and it shouldn't be a problem" at the end there?  

8. Re: Blood Revival Shelved Feb 15, 2013, 23:06 zombiefan

Fuck you, Atari.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo