Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II Patch Plans

The StarCraft II Website has details on a new version 2.0.4 patch that's on the way for StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, saying this is due within a few days. This will include a bunch of enhancements Blizzard says will also be part of the imminent release of the Heart of the Swarm expansion on March 12th. Here's the outline of what this is about:

• An all-new user interface with new menu screens.
  • The launch of in-game Clans and Groups.
  • New Replay features, such as Watch with Others and Take Command.
  • A multitude of Editor improvements.
  • New matchmaking options: Training Mode, Vs. AI Mode, and Unranked Play.
  • All-new AI Options, including AI Communication.
  • Players Near You, so you can find other StarCraft II players on your local network.
  • New customizable Observer UI.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 17, 2013, 09:53 Styrbjorn

There is an option to change "Expansion Level" between HotS and WoL (if you own HotS of course). I'm guessing this means HotS players can play with WoL players, with the WoL units etc.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 16, 2013, 11:52 Ant

Optional nickname wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 09:26:
Blues, can we please get news on the status of Generals2? I don't like how news of that epic sequel is in the dark around here. I've blacklisted Blizzard.
There hasn't been any recent updates I saw.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 16, 2013, 10:35 RollinThundr

Krovven wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 15:35:
Flatline wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:35:
Dude. Splitting the single player campaign into 3 separate entities...

Dude. As has been pointed out countless times...SC2 WoL has as many missions (with 1 race) as all of the original SC missions combined (across all 3 races). Actually it has more, if you count the Challenge mission maps.

SC2 was a $60 game, HoS is $40...$40 has been the Blizzard standard expansion pack price for about the last 10 years.

So basically you only come around now to shill for Blizzard? I don't think you're fooling anyone Krowen, give it a rest.

28. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 16, 2013, 01:24 shinchan0s

Dades wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 22:02:

I was referring to Kaptain Krunch the rageaholic, no clue what you're talking about.

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

Quoting might help avoid confusion.

Anyway, just came in here to say that the new replay system proves Blizzard is out of touch. What kind of nerd is going to do this? Fix the User Map Settings and custom match system before moving onto gimmicky bullcrap. This is why your game is DYING, you retards.

27. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 22:02 Dades

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 20:39:
The fact that you all are interpreting such arguments as "sucking Blizzard's dick" and being a member of the "Blizzard defense force", says a lot more about you than it does about me. Honestly, Blizzard is engaging in pretty shitty business practices as of late, and I am no longer the fan I once was, but let's focus on the REAL shitty business practices (always-on DRM, pay-real-money-to-win Auction House), rather than imagining fake ones (shorting us on content to sell expansion packs by shipping a... long, full-length single-player game) in order to gratify and justify our own senses of outrage and disappointment at what Blizzard has become.

I was referring to Kaptain Krunch the rageaholic, no clue what you're talking about.

26. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 20:39 Scottish Martial Arts

Dades wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 18:09:
Hey look, the Blizzard defense force is back just in time for another expansion release, what a surprise. Time to fight the good fight for his favorite company!

I explicitly stated that there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons to hate on modern ActiBlizzard. Releasing two expansion packs for the full-length Starcraft 2 isn't one of them however.

Would it have meant more value to me had Blizzard released Starcraft 2 with 80+ campaign missions spread across three chapters, one for each race? Absolutely. I also recognize that that amount of single player content isn't feasible, and had it actually come to fruition, then Starcraft 2 would have been the longest RTS ever made by a wide margin. Since that isn't a realistic expectation, there were essentially two routes Blizzard could have gone: a initial campaign offering of 25-30 missions focusing on one race, or an initial campaign offering of 3 campaigns, one for each race, each between 8 and 10 missions long.

That Starcraft 2 would get expansions, and that those expansions would continue the story, is a given. In fact, had Starcraft 2 not received any expansions, people would be bitching that Blizzard wasn't supporting the game with new content, so the fact that you have to buy three SKUs to see the whole story isn't a valid complaint. Again, see the Wing Commander example from my previous post, which shows that using expansions to complete the storyline isn't anything new or dickish.

Blizzard certainly could have chosen to launch with three 8-10 mission campaigns for each race, and then released expansion packs with similar amounts of content that continued the story. They elected to launch with a single campaign for one race that had 25+ missions, and then to add campaigns of similar length in subsequent expansions, one for each of the other two races. Just as releasing expansions to finish the story isn't new, launching an RTS with multiple races but only a single campaign for one of those races isn't new either: see nearly every Relic RTS ever made, a list which includes some of the best RTSs around. One can certainly argue that you would prefer a campaign for each race -- albeit each campaign being only one third as long -- at launch. What one cannot reasonably argue is that Blizzard shorted everyone on launch content in order to sell expansion packs: WoL shipped with a campaign that was of the same length as SC1's three campaigns put together, and a far longer campaign than what was in, say, Homeworld or Dawn of War.

The fact that you all are interpreting such arguments as "sucking Blizzard's dick" and being a member of the "Blizzard defense force", says a lot more about you than it does about me. Honestly, Blizzard is engaging in pretty shitty business practices as of late, and I am no longer the fan I once was, but let's focus on the REAL shitty business practices (always-on DRM, pay-real-money-to-win Auction House), rather than imagining fake ones (shorting us on content to sell expansion packs by shipping a... long, full-length single-player game) in order to gratify and justify our own senses of outrage and disappointment at what Blizzard has become.

25. No subject Feb 15, 2013, 19:16 D_K_night

Well as they say, if you don't like it, well so sad.

Can't wait for the expansion myself, it's going to be awesome.

And before you guys rush in with "OOOH you're just a fanboi" - take a look at the games I've been playing lately:

- Assasin's Creed 3
- Hitman: Absolution

24. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 18:54 Verno

Dades wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 18:09:
Hey look, the Blizzard defense force is back just in time for another expansion release, what a surprise. Time to fight the good fight for his favorite company!

Nothing he said was wrong and he wasn't overly hostile/condescending for a change so leave it be. I'm sure there will be plenty of Starcraft release threads to fight in.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

23. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 18:09 Dades

22. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 18:04 Flatline

Oh wait we're back to sucking Blizzard dick because they're the most awesome of awesome? I didn't get the memo.  

21. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 16:47 Xero

Krovven wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:27:
Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:08:
I'm in no way support of Blizzard's practically yearly release of WoW expansions at one point

What?

WoW 2004, BC (January) 2007, WoTLK (Nov.) 2008, Cata 2010, MoP 2012.

The closest to your "yearly" expansions is 22 months. Maybe you are confusing WoW with Everquest, which has averaged an expansion roughly every 6-8 months for the last 10 years.

I did use the word practically. And I don't think it's too far off, but yes, if we go as far back to Everquest I can see the difference. But still, were talking about corporate Blizz now.

Currently playing: Skyrim

20. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 16:27 Krovven

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 16:08:
I'm in no way support of Blizzard's practically yearly release of WoW expansions at one point

What?

WoW 2004, BC (January) 2007, WoTLK (Nov.) 2008, Cata 2010, MoP 2012.

The closest to your "yearly" expansions is 22 months. Maybe you are confusing WoW with Everquest, which has averaged an expansion roughly every 6-8 months for the last 10 years.

19. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 16:08 Xero

Well, it's not just new, it's to be expected. All Blizzard titles gets expansions and that helps prolong the re-playability of the title and make them last for years.

I think the fact that they wanted SC2 to be THE RTS Esport title for years to come was based into the design decision that they could keep this game going for years and years later if they put out just 1 more expansion than the usual RTS demanded. In this case they are justifying the expansions with the amount of missions they include and continuation of the storyline on a more fleshed out campaign.

I'm in no way support of Blizzard's practically yearly release of WoW expansions at one point, nor the horrid Diablo 3 auction system idea. But in the case of an RTS where you beat the crap out of it with so many matches that any kind of change up or additional units keeps things fresh. I would of been all for a 3rd Warcraft 3 expansion after my 6th or 7th year into the online game...

18. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 15:43 Scottish Martial Arts

Dude. Splitting the single player campaign into 3 separate entities separated by nearly 3 year delay and charging 40 bucks for it is hardly a "pay once to play everything" solution.

"Dude", we're still having this retarded argument? Announcing plans for two expansions in advance is hardly splitting up the content. WoL had a full length 25+ mission campaign. Had WoL been 9 missions long, and subsequent expansions been 9 missions long, then you might have a point. But delivering a full games worth of content, with the caveat that the story will conclude in the expansions, is hardly new or exploitative. In fact, it's been the case for pretty much every commercially successful PC game since the early 90s and the advent of expansion packs to begin with. For example, the Wing Commander 1 (released 1990) storyline wasn't complete until you played through Secret Missions 1 and 2, but the content that shipped in the base game was by no means any less than a full game's worth. Same deal with Starcraft 2.

And the complaint that not every playable race gets its own campaign in the initial release? That's been fairly common with RTS titles since at least 1997 when Age of Empires released with 12 civilizations but only 4 campaigns. People seem not have minded so long as the campaigns that do ship have enough content to justify full retail price.

There is so much legitimate bullshit that Blizzard does these days to complain about, that it is utterly absurd to be bitching about Blizzard using expansion packs as subsequent chapters in one continuous story as if that's something new or egregious.

17. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 15:35 Krovven

Flatline wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:35:
Dude. Splitting the single player campaign into 3 separate entities...

Dude. As has been pointed out countless times...SC2 WoL has as many missions (with 1 race) as all of the original SC missions combined (across all 3 races). Actually it has more, if you count the Challenge mission maps.

SC2 was a $60 game, HoS is $40...$40 has been the Blizzard standard expansion pack price for about the last 10 years.

16. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 14:35 Flatline

Xero wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 10:07:
I mean in that it's their last title that will be treat like an old Blizzard game. Pay once to play everything.

Dude. Splitting the single player campaign into 3 separate entities separated by nearly 3 year delay and charging 40 bucks for it is hardly a "pay once to play everything" solution.

I'm cool if you find SC2 to be more awesome than tits, but be honest. SC2 was the turning point where you couldn't deny that Bliz was f*cking everything up.

15. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 13:00 Creston

I figured as much. Thanks Xero!

Creston

14. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 Xero

Creston wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 10:53:
So, can owners of HotS still play against WoL players? Or is this dividing their userbase?

Creston

Don't quote me on this but I believe you can. I remember playing original WC3 for a bit before I switched to the expansion... Generally they might update the original to matchup moreso with the new features/interface of the expansion. You just don't get the new content of course.

Misread your post. Generally the expansions override the original in all aspects because it's suppose to be more "tuned" or balanced. I think only WoL will play with WoL until they decide to upgrade, then you only play with HoTS players. This is standard in most games w/expansions that I know of though...

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 12:40.

13. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 10:56 Verno

I want a non-MMO Warcraft game, it was always my favorite of the Blizzard franchises.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

12. Re: StarCraft II Patch Plans Feb 15, 2013, 10:53 Creston

So, can owners of HotS still play against WoL players? Or is this dividing their userbase?

Creston

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo