Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: etc. Feb 16, 2013, 01:15 Redmask

nin wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 21:23:
OK, now we're just flat out delusional:

Randy Pitchford &#8207;@DuvalMagic

@pazzoinsano No one likes to be called a liar, especially if their intent was pure and they always spoke the truth when they spoke it.

Lying for money is pure intent, it's totally fine as long as you keep your fingers crossed behind your back. You guys shouldn't be so demanding, the man is just trying to take money from your wallet with blatantly misleading claims about his games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 22:34 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 20:51:
Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:00:
Wait, so it didn't get dx11 I'd heard, but it didn't even get dx10 now too?

the difference between dx10 and dx11 is negligible.
Yes, but my point is that I don't like it when games stick to dx 9 because of consoles.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2013, 15:44.

20. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 21:23 nin

OK, now we're just flat out delusional:

@pazzoinsano No one likes to be called a liar, especially if their intent was pure and they always spoke the truth when they spoke it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 20:51 Orogogus

Beamer wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:02:
Then I saw a comment mentioning the vanilla looks better, so I checked - the original is on the left.

Doesn't it say SweetFX is on the left and vanilla is on the right? But I do think the SweetFX look worse after clicking the links. As thumbnails they look nice (and the vanilla looks washed out), but zoomed in it's all murky and harder to make anything out.

18. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 20:51 dj LiTh

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 14:00:

the difference between dx10 and dx11 is negligible.

17. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 20:23 NewMaxx

Those "improved" shots look infinitely worse.

I wouldn't go that far. It reminds me a bit of my friend who likes to wear sunglasses everywhere because he can "see better" - but the reality is that they diminish your contrast ratio, and that only hurts your perception by making everything appear better. I actually liked to play dark style when I had my CRT, but on a quality LCD it's a different story; the contrast ratio shouldn't be messed with as much as SweetFX does. It also seems to sharpen the picture (removes fog/blur), which is very much subjective, although frankly I'd take quality AA (injected if nothing else) and improved LOD over sharpness any day of the week.

All in all, a push in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of the "fixing" that a lot of people do to video on telesynced releases (if you know what I mean). I have no problem with the modding as again I think it's subjective...but things like this quickly lead into snake oil type deals faster than you can shake a stick at it.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 20:31.

16. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 18:59 KilrathiAce

Someone wasted their time to mod for Aliens Colonial Marines? I bet he put in more work than GearBox themselves...  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

15. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 16:34 Juzzam

So how about that LGR video?  

14. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:54 DangerDog

The problems with this game run much deeper than any lighting or texture improvement can overcome.

The first few levels makes you wonder why everyone is being so super critical of the game but after you get to the back end of the game you can see that they really dropped the ball.

The game itself plays like a highly polished mod, for a triple A title it feels like they needed at least two or three more passes to polish everything, add in some scripted events like they showed in the demo where marines are pulled into vents and killed, improve the AI of the Aliens and replace the apparent placeholder objects they put in the game to fill in dead space.

You could make a drinking game for every time you come across a cup with pencils and scissors in it or a generic craftsman toolbox and be shitface drunk half way through the game. With many of these objects floating above tables.

I still can't get over the six years of development and how far off the final game is from that early E3 demo.

13. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:32 jdreyer

So I thought "man, that looks a ton better." Mind was blown over how improved it was.

Then I saw a comment mentioning the vanilla looks better, so I checked - the original is on the left.

That is definitely making the images harsher and worse.

Really? The original shots look washed out w/o much contrast. I prefer the sweet FX shots. The deeper shadows look more like HDR, and the sharpener makes the details in the textures pop.

EDIT: Here's the DX 10 improvements on youtube (German). Maybe combining these two would work? Still wouldn't address all the glitches and other issues.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 14:38.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

12. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:22 jdreyer

Verno wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 09:48:

I've always profited from criticism and, thankfully, I have never been in short supply.

He's always profited from his bullshit salesmanship personality and we've never been in short supply.

I like Borderlands but damn, dude just lies his ass off all the time, you wonder if its pathological.

Upton Sinclair, dude.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 14:00 Dev

10. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 12:05 Wallshadows

The Gearbox forums are so entertaining since the release, one particular long-running topic which has modified movie quotes to trash the game such as:

Ripley: Do me a favor and run this game for me will you..

Hicks: What do I do?

Ripley: Hit start- or a-button, what's a-button?

Hicks: Start campaign.

Ripley: That's it.

Hicks: Okay we're hooked, now what?

Ripley: Let it load the game.

Hicks: It's real bad graphics.

Ripely: Hit enhancement.

Ripley: Keep looking.

Hicks: I don't know how the play this stuff.

Ripley: Just shoot the aliens with your pulserifle. The AI should be really sophisticated like Randy told us.

Ripley: What is it?

Hicks: I think Randy lied to us.

Ripley: That's not possible. What does it look like?

Hicks: Horrible.

Ripley: Pause it!

Hicks: You don't want to look at it.

Ripley: PAUSE IT!!

*Ripley looks to monitor and sees terrible alien AI+graphics*

Hicks: I'm sorry.

9. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 Beamer

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 11:01:
It's built on the Unreal Engine 3 so there have been various tricks used to improve visuals based on what would work on other titles sporting the same engine. Programs such as SweetFX were released the day after ACM released which pushes it a little more in the direction of the demo footage as far as visuals are concerned.

Comparison shots are included on the website.

It's not much, but I'll install these goodies and see if they can at least make an impact on the atmosphere and setting.

So I thought "man, that looks a ton better." Mind was blown over how improved it was.

That is definitely making the images harsher and worse.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 Cutter

"Eight year olds, Dude."

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

7. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 11:01 Wallshadows

It's built on the Unreal Engine 3 so there have been various tricks used to improve visuals based on what would work on other titles sporting the same engine. Programs such as SweetFX were released the day after ACM released which pushes it a little more in the direction of the demo footage as far as visuals are concerned.

Comparison shots are included on the website.

It's not much, but I'll install these goodies and see if they can at least make an impact on the atmosphere and setting.

6. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 eRe4s3r

How about some proper comparision shots? ;p  

5. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 InBlack

nin wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 09:44:
hey hey! Randy's back on twitter:

I've always profited from criticism and, thankfully, I have never been in short supply.

However, insult or threaten me and I want nothing to do with you. Expect block/ban/whatever I can do.

I am not blocking critique. I am blocking insults, threats and extreme rudeness.

I wonder what he considers extreme rudeness? Would ruining two favorite franchises for personal short term gain be considered rude to the fans and creators of said IPs?

Dont get me wrong. I think Randy is ok, he just needs to lay of the coke, because that shit affects your judgement and decision making with prolonged use...

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 10:40.

I have a nifty blue line!

4. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 09:48 Verno

He's always profited from his bullshit salesmanship personality and we've never been in short supply.

I like Borderlands but damn, dude just lies his ass off all the time, you wonder if its pathological.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: etc. Feb 15, 2013, 09:44 nin

hey hey! Randy's back on twitter:

However, insult or threaten me and I want nothing to do with you. Expect block/ban/whatever I can do.

I am not blocking critique. I am blocking insults, threats and extreme rudeness.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo