Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We ended up laying low last night, and will go out to celebrate Valentine's Day over the weekend (after being married for a while, practicality starts to influence the romance). This weekend is also the President's Day weekend, so hopefully we won't have trouble getting into a restaurant amid all the celebrations this will inspire.

Inspired Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Steampunk Tower.
Links: The pleasure of finding things out about Richard Feynman.
Stories: Ex-mayor's $1 billion gambling woes stun San Diego.
Golfer Picks Out Black Widow Venom with Tee, Finishes Round. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Science: First bionic eye gets FDA blessing.
Anti-anxiety drug found in rivers makes fish more aggressive.
Media: Beercade: The Last Barfighter.
Robot Chicken: A Critical Component.
How Single Cats Are Spending Valentine's Day.
Follow-up: Secret funding helped build vast network of climate denial thinktanks.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2013, 07:21 1badmf

you guys probably won't read this, but your posts are a bit short-sighted cutter and creston. tracking space objects isn't just about last minute interventions. you guys have been watching far too much tv if you think that's the case. it's more about plotting future impacts; nothing we've detected so far has a high likelihood of impact anytime soon, but i know of at least one that has a reasonable likelihood of impact in about 2080. we may not have the tech to stop an impact today, but in 70 years? probably, esp. if we know it's coming. that's the value of the tracking programs, not what we can stop tomorrow.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2013, 01:07 Creston

Observatories simply for near earth or middle earth objects? No.

I agree. It probably wouldn't even cost that money to monitor everything (in government terms, anyway, considering NASA currently spends less than 10 million on it.) But what's the point? So you can see them coming? And then what? Contrary to Hollywood's belief, there really isn't anything we can do to stop an asteroid from hitting Earth.

Shooting a nuclear weapon at them will cause more damage and cost more lives from the fallout in the atmosphere than an asteroid impact of the size that's small enough to be destroyed by a nuke. And that's IF there is a nuke that can be launched at it to intercept it, which isn't a given.

The only benefit an observation system would have is for warning purposes, but it's not like people really have a place to go to evade an asteroid strike, unless they have or live near a nuclear bomb shelter. The thing that hit today did little more than break glass, and people aren't going to listen to a warning to stay away from windows anyway.

And that's not even considering the fact that these thing typically break up in the atmosphere and thus are very liable to alter their course by hundreds of miles, at which point your warning is wasted.

There's really no point in watching for something if you can't do anything about it. It's just wasted money.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 21:54 Cutter

Yosemite Sam wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 18:34:
I've always said they are wasting money searching for extrasolar planets that we will more then likely never ever be able to actually visit when we should be mapping out our own system. This isnt about funding in general, but on what they are spending the funding they already have. Messed up priorities IMO, hey I think it's really cool too that they are finding planets around other stars, but it's trivia with zero benefits or applications in our world.

There are many benefits to astrophysics and we've learned a ton from it so it's not been money that's been wasted. Much as I'm opposed to space travel - which I consider a waste for a multitude of reasons - I wouldn't say that astrophysics or astronomy is a waste by any measure. Hell we wouldn't have satellites and the energy infrastructure we have today without it. The academic research is worth it. Observatories simply for near earth or middle earth objects? No.

Here's just one salient example of why it isn't a waste....A fascinatingly disturbing thought

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 21:36 Cutter

jimnms wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 20:25:
Typical media overreaction and blowing shit out of proportion getting people scared for ratings. This afternoon I over heard a news report on a TV that it was the size of a school bus. From what I've read on astronomy sites and blogs say that the meteor was less than 2 meters in size and wouldn't have been detectable anyway.

Oh absolutely. If it was the size of a school bus it would have done a hell of a lot more damage. The big one passing by earth atm is only 50 yards long and that would cause some major devastation from its kinetic impact. This does not warrant - much as the astronomers would love - billions in funding to watch the skies for near earth asteroids. Sorry, but if something of the dinosaur extinction level event is headed for earth best just put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye because Bruce Willis and co. will not be saving the day.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 21:06 nin

This afternoon I over heard a news report on a TV that it was the size of a school bus.

Pictures (among others) here

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 20:25 jimnms

1badmf wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 19:36:
It's Xur and the Kodan Armada, they've broken through the frontier!

Meteor finally does some damage, now suddenly everyone is all about increased funding and space vigilance. Watched the news for 20 minutes today and already saw the calls going out for it.

I've always said they are wasting money searching for extrasolar planets that we will more then likely never ever be able to actually visit when we should be mapping out our own system. This isnt about funding in general, but on what they are spending the funding they already have. Messed up priorities IMO, hey I think it's really cool too that they are finding planets around other stars, but it's trivia with zero benefits or applications in our world.

doesn't have to be one or the other, and in fact there have been several programs to map the debris in the solar system, each more sensitive than the last. i remember seeing a time-lapse animation of our knowledge of the solar system not too long ago, and the dots swirling around the sun grew exponentially as the 90s rolled around and those programs went underway.

we've mapped everything down to a few hundred feet across that's within the orbit of our planets; the real problem is we don't have the tech to see all the big bastards that are out in the kuiper belt and oort cloud. it's not a matter of funding - our technology just doens't have the sensitivity.

Typical media overreaction and blowing shit out of proportion getting people scared for ratings. This afternoon I over heard a news report on a TV that it was the size of a school bus. From what I've read on astronomy sites and blogs say that the meteor was less than 2 meters in size and wouldn't have been detectable anyway.

Steam Profile

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 19:36 1badmf

Meteor finally does some damage, now suddenly everyone is all about increased funding and space vigilance. Watched the news for 20 minutes today and already saw the calls going out for it.

doesn't have to be one or the other, and in fact there have been several programs to map the debris in the solar system, each more sensitive than the last. i remember seeing a time-lapse animation of our knowledge of the solar system not too long ago, and the dots swirling around the sun grew exponentially as the 90s rolled around and those programs went underway.

we've mapped everything down to a few hundred feet across that's within the orbit of our planets; the real problem is we don't have the tech to see all the big bastards that are out in the kuiper belt and oort cloud. it's not a matter of funding - our technology just doens't have the sensitivity.

14. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 18:52 Creston

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 13:17:
Creston wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:53:
That story is so awesome. I love those Russian guys who see this bright-as-fuck thing come straight at them and they just keep on driving. I'd have probably flipped my car trying to swerve out of the way. (and then looked like a total ass once I realized it was like 100 miles away and wasn't even coming at me.)
Creston

Michael Bay had to be admitted to the hospital for a severe and long lasting erection after watching those videos. True story!

Rotfl

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 18:34 Yosemite Sam

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 18:45.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 18:16 Dades

- DADES - This is a signature of my name, enjoy!

11. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 16:47 xXBatmanXx

jimnms wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:34:
If you're following the meteor in Russia this morning, this site has lots of pictures and videos, and seems to be getting updates as more roll in.

http://zyalt.livejournal.com/722930.html

That story is so awesome. I love those Russian guys who see this bright-as-fuck thing come straight at them and they just keep on driving. I'd have probably flipped my car trying to swerve out of the way. (and then looked like a total ass once I realized it was like 100 miles away and wasn't even coming at me.)

Creston

EXACTLY what I was thinking watching some of the vids....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 16:17 Yosemite Sam

Really good video of the sound explosion from the meteor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfpol2YP838

EDIT pretty cool how there are two distinct trails, like it either broke in half as soon as it hit the atmosphere, or there were two objects together.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 17:31.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

9. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 15:53 1badmf

it was just the finale to the latest die hard flick. bruce willis stars in an avant-garde new dual role as both mcclain AND harry stamper.  

8. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 13:17 NegaDeath

Creston

Michael Bay had to be admitted to the hospital for a severe and long lasting erection after watching those videos. True story!

7. Re: Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 12:53 Creston

jimnms wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:34:
If you're following the meteor in Russia this morning, this site has lots of pictures and videos, and seems to be getting updates as more roll in.

Creston

6. Meteor Feb 15, 2013, 12:34 jimnms

Steam Profile

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 Cutter

Feynman was one interesting cat. Read Tuva or Bust! And watch Ghengis Blues - full version up on Youtube btw. I will definitely be picking that book up and you should too!!!

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 11:21 Creston

Rather than go out, I decided to just cook at home for my wife and I. Top sirloin, pork chops, crostinis, bacon, all on the stone grill.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... I can still taste it. Drool Sure beats standing in line at a restaurant for three hours to get a table!

Creston

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 10:57 PHJF

Man I never had a problem with cold weather before but this winter is killing me. Skin is all dried up and my eyes are constantly sore.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2013, 10:08 xXBatmanXx

Took last night off, new furnace comes today and have a funeral to attend, so needed a little extra time to get things done. Was also nice to hang out with the wife who made dinner and dessert.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo