Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Impire

Paradox Interactive announces Impire is now available, and those interested in purchasing Cyanide Studios Montreal's new strategy game can head over to any of the links provided on this page to pick it up. Here's a new trailer celebrating the release, and here's word:

NEW YORK — February 14, 2013 — Paradox Interactive, a publisher of games and summoner of malodorous fiends, today announced the release of Impire, a new action-strategy title developed by Cyanide Studios Montreal. Impire, which challenges players to build and maintain a sprawling underground lair while managing and commanding an army of demonic minions, is available today on digital distribution channels for $19.99. The game can be purchased at the following link: http://www.impiregame.com/buy

Impire tells the Impudent tale of Baal-Abaddon, an Impatient and Impulsive demon Imprisoned in an Impractical Imp body by the Impotent and Impaired sorcerer, Oscar van Fairweather. The situation is Imperfect, but not Impossible; Baal will have to Improvise to Impress allies, Impede and Impale raiding parties of Impolite heroes, and Improve his Impish body to reclaim his Imperial throne. Okay, we’re done.

Carve out your Impire with crafting and lair construction, assemble your minions into strategic squads, and venture into nearby lands to commit acts of unspeakable evil.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 11:47 SykesN.

I'm about 4 hours in and it's a mess. Way to much micro management for my taste. You spend an ungodly amount of time just feeding your minions only to have them fight a few times then send them back to eat some more. Should have been called Foodpire.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 avianflu

my kind of game but will wait for lots of reviews  

10. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 08:59 gilly775

I'd like to point out that the Eurogamer preview had the Devs mentioned this is nothing like DK. They said they pay homage to it, but the execution is totally different.

I for one like it. It reminds me of a cross between Evil Genius and the squad making abilities of Company of Heroes.

9. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 08:52 Cutter

coldcut wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 04:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 00:03:
Demo or bargain bin are the options here.
So if you get no demo, you'll buy it in any case from the bargain bin? You must buy a lot of games

90% of my purchases are bargain bin for games. Rare is the first day sale with products sight unseen.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 08:20 eRe4s3r

Thanks for this.. so another skip it is.. I guess I will try when there's a demo.. if that ever happens.  

7. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 07:50 mixma242

I haven't got very far into it, but I can say if you were hoping this is the spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper you would be very disappointed. The only real similarity is that both games are set in a dungeon, and opponents occasionally come in to try and wreck things.

You have more control over your units, and can do a lot of nice customization to your squads. The number of squads is limited (max of 5 squads, 4 units each), although you can have units that are not in squads. Units will not assist one another unless they are in the same squad, such as your healer will only heal it's squad mates.

The dungeon building aspect is very cookie cutter - rooms are based on blueprints so you can not shape an individual room. The layout and traps are pointless since invaders can dig in anywhere to enter, and every wave comes in at a different location.

The forums are alight with bug reports, and there is no manual. It's hard to know what some stuff even is supposed to do.

Combat is done well. You need a good combination within a squad to really do well, and some of the boss fights are impossible without thinking through your tactics (just trowing numbers at a boss will not work).

All in all it's a decent game for the price. It's not a Dungeon Management sim, it's a squad combat sim with some Dungeon management.

6. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 04:27 coldcut

Cutter wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 00:03:
So if you get no demo, you'll buy it in any case from the bargain bin? You must buy a lot of games

5. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 01:56 RaZ0r!

I dropped my $20 on the Tribes unlocks for now. Will revisit Impire down the road.  

4. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 15, 2013, 00:03 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

3. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 14, 2013, 23:40 eRe4s3r

I have the feeling that because they again didn't clone Dungeon Keeper even remotely it's going to end up a boring, repetitive game again. I will never get why people (developers) think that they can make a better Dungeon Keeper that is not like Dungeon Keeper.. so far they all sucked...

Mhh, gonna wait for youtube let's plays I guess.

2. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 14, 2013, 22:30 Keith

Steam posts seem to be mostly positive. Apparently there are some difficulties selecting groups, or controlling groups or some such. I was holding out on the pre-order for this. The description sounds some much like Dungeon Keeper that it sounded like a clone. Forums posts by the developers indicated there were some DK elements, but it also had elements of Dawn of War. Both high quality titles but I don't know how good the match up would be.  

1. Re: Ships Ahoy - Impire Feb 14, 2013, 21:22 eRe4s3r

Reviews?  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo