Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition

Hi-Rez Studios announces a new Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition is now available, which unlocks all the perks in the free-to-play first-person shooter with a single purchase. This is accompanied by an updated version of the game for all players, which adds new maps and more. This page offers the patch notes.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 16, 2013, 13:35 Bleeder

Yeah, the "ultra mobility and crazy fast skill shots" is what I feel is missing from Ascend.

Regarding deployables.. I didn't realize that the Legions game from GarageGames/InstantAction is now a standalone game being maintained over at http://www.legionsoverdrive.com

They just released the public test of it earlier this month, and.. there are deployables

Still no vehicles though

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 22:20 Orphic Resonance

Bleeder wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 21:11:
I'm curious what Tribes vets thought of Legions as compared to Ascend.

More/less true to the originals?

it felt more like an unhinged and very streamlined version of T1 - ultra mobility and crazy fast skill shots

no deployables and no vehicles made it stray a bit too far tho

they should have made it into a full game, it still felt like a demo, even at the end

22. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 21:11 Bleeder

I'm curious what Tribes vets thought of Legions as compared to Ascend.

More/less true to the originals?

21. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 15:41 gtrogers

shihonage wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 05:50:
gtrogers wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:04:
Hi-Rez has been doing a great job of listening to their community lately. They hired a community relations guy whose job it is to relay what the fans want to the devs. This patch today has a ton of new content and I've sunk countless hours into the game since it launched. I'm a T1 and T2 veteran and am loving my time with this game. A lot of players got burned out in the first year and got frustrated with the imbalance and lack of clear communication with the devs, but that's all changed now.

If you're considering trying Tribes Ascend, or returning to it after a long hiatus, now's the time! VGH VGW VGS!

Total Comments 1

Wow, Hi-Rez must be really desperate to revive this failure.

Ever since it exited beta, they spent several months driving away half of their playerbase by making it unplayable on 32-bit systems and ignoring large threads of complaints on their forums.

They never fixed year-old bugs and "charming" oddities, but kept piling on new ones with each new feature added. It's become an expected pattern.

I abandoned ship a couple of months ago. By the time they figured how to stop the game from crashing on 32-bit systems (at low texture quality!), server population has dropped into oblivion.

SMITE players will soon be enjoying the same kind of support as we Tribes: Ascend players did. If you want something that lasts, better stay the hell away from Hi-Rez.

I know how it looks with the whole "1 comment" thing. I specifically created my account to speak up for Tribes Ascend because it became fashionable to hate on the game and people (deservedly so) abandoned it early on, and haven't given it a second look. I, as a fan (not a Hi-Rez shill), am trying to speak well of the game to get new players.

The game is not perfect. There are bugs. But it's also fun as hell and everything has improved over the past several months, specifically their interaction with the community and the direction the game is headed. It deserves a second look, in my opinion. That's all I'm saying.

20. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 15:19 Crustacean Soup

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:02:
lack of expanding cone of fire on the automatic rifles is a huge deal.. its why all competitive players are forced to use them because they are unstoppable at mid-close range - point and kill, basically - nothing else comes close

its a pretty big issue IMO

Yep. Bullet weapons have pissed me off in this game from the first day. They've been nerfed, but they're still crazy effective, not to mention much easier to use than the slower weapons. They gave the Juggernaut an LMG at some point, that's about when I gave up completely.

19. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 10:04 Muscular Beaver

Even though this Tribes finally seems to be fast enough again, its another game that is patched to death.
No thanks.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

18. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 06:02 Orphic Resonance

lack of expanding cone of fire on the automatic rifles is a huge deal.. its why all competitive players are forced to use them because they are unstoppable at mid-close range - point and kill, basically - nothing else comes close

its a pretty big issue IMO

17. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 05:50 shihonage

gtrogers wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:04:
Hi-Rez has been doing a great job of listening to their community lately. They hired a community relations guy whose job it is to relay what the fans want to the devs. This patch today has a ton of new content and I've sunk countless hours into the game since it launched. I'm a T1 and T2 veteran and am loving my time with this game. A lot of players got burned out in the first year and got frustrated with the imbalance and lack of clear communication with the devs, but that's all changed now.

If you're considering trying Tribes Ascend, or returning to it after a long hiatus, now's the time! VGH VGW VGS!

Total Comments 1

Wow, Hi-Rez must be really desperate to revive this failure.

Ever since it exited beta, they spent several months driving away half of their playerbase by making it unplayable on 32-bit systems and ignoring large threads of complaints on their forums.

They never fixed year-old bugs and "charming" oddities, but kept piling on new ones with each new feature added. It's become an expected pattern.

I abandoned ship a couple of months ago. By the time they figured how to stop the game from crashing on 32-bit systems (at low texture quality!), server population has dropped into oblivion.

SMITE players will soon be enjoying the same kind of support as we Tribes: Ascend players did. If you want something that lasts, better stay the hell away from Hi-Rez.

16. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 04:13 yuastnav

So did they at least try to restore the balance?

I basically ragequit after they introduced a bunch of weapons while the other weapons that they have previously introduced, like the plasma rifle for the raider, where still fething unbalanced.

Don't get me wrong, I am not really that bad at this game, I was an okay shot, but it's just ridiculous when most raiders can hit kill you easily with that bloody plasma thing.
Maybe Hi-Rez thought that when they double the speed of the projectile they can just half the damage and everything is well but that's not really how it works and it was unfathomable for me why they didn't get that and why they didn't try to scale the stats non-linearly.

15. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 03:30 Scottish Martial Arts

"Game of the Year" is meaningless and needs to go away.

Seriously. The first time it ever showed up was in a 1999 repackaging of Half-Life 1 with Team Fortress Classic. In that case, Half-Life had won something like 60+ game of the year awards, and it unanimously was the "game of the year", hence the clever bit of marketing to call it the GotY Edition, rather than a Gold Edition, or something like that. Since then, however, if a game wins a single award, no matter how minor the award, nor how irrelevant the awarding publication, then it gets repackaged and called the Game of the Year Edition.

14. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 03:01 Fantaz

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 02:23:

I agree... to many, this was not their GOTY.

13. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 02:44 Jackplug

how can it be free to play when you have to purchase the new addition, duh!!!

Ascend isnt a Tribes game, they've turned it into another cod game with jetpacks cos of the amount of carbines in there thats taken all the skill factor away when dualing.

Just seen the video and wtf are conduats?? Tribes is about skiing, skill, offense and defense. I believe The old map he was taking about is canyon crusade and that looks fuck all like it, this one is the lame version!!

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 02:55.

12. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 02:23 Beelzebud

11. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 15, 2013, 02:23 ViRGE

Finally!

You now have my attention, Hi-Rez.

10. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 23:58 deqer

Like, water skiing?

j/k j/k. just wanted to troll all you brains for a moment there.

9. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 22:41 NKD

Trevellian wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:43:
Primalchrome wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:27:
DangerDog wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 20:13:
Still can't believe how badly they ruined the skiing and player movement from the original starsige tribes.
Skiing in Starsiege Tribes was a bug.... They didn't ruin it, they made it into a legitimate game mechanic rather than an exploit for the few.

This completely. I love how people still complain about them making a bug a legitimate feature.

Yep, the new skiing really separates the men from the boys when it comes to capping flags. You really have to know the maps to do the really extreme speed flag caps that make you really hard to tackle.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 21:43 Trevellian

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 21:27:
Still can't believe how badly they ruined the skiing and player movement from the original starsige tribes.
Skiing in Starsiege Tribes was a bug.... They didn't ruin it, they made it into a legitimate game mechanic rather than an exploit for the few.

This completely. I love how people still complain about them making a bug a legitimate feature.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

7. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 21:27 Primalchrome

6. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 21:04 gtrogers

5. Re: Tribes Ascend Game of the Year Edition Feb 14, 2013, 21:02 JeffD

As a fan of tribes 1/2, I think ascend is pretty awesome, and this GOTY edition is an absolute STEAL considering you normally would have to pay upwards of 60 bucks to unlock all that stuff. I spent 10 bucks on a vip membership for some weapons and bonus xp.. but I think im gonna nab the %19 edition as well.

I dont think skiing was ruined what so ever... skiing was a bug in the original series and many of us couldn't do it properly all the time. Ascend makes it much more easier and much more enjoyable. If anything, I consider the flags are always too open.. I liked a lot of the old maps where the map was in the base. Also I think vehicals need some work.

Still these guys have been spending a lot of time balancing maps and weapons and adding new content for a free to play shooter, we can only hope others in the future look twards ascend as a model.

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo