Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 16, 2013, 04:05 eRe4s3r

If cars were using induction I'd be totally for that.... I just don't think the Tesla car series is there yet. Range is too low, Charging time too high, costs WAY too high. And you can't just park it out in front, it'd be stolen faster than you can get out. Given that the batteries cost like 10k to 30k and contain more chemicals than cola and pepsi products combined....

Tech is not there yet. So I think there is no reason to buy it.. especially li-ion battery packs.. given their plethora of issues with shock and temperature.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 16, 2013, 01:10 Flatline

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 22:50:
The funny thing is that an Audi A6 is terribly out-dated and in-efficient. Compare the Tesla to a Toyota Prius and things look very different...

Also your math is kinda flawed. a 85kw battery for the Tesla for example, needs to be charged with 102kw since about 20% is lost on charge.

Any way you look at it, a tesla is a terrible idea. Less range, higher cost. There is also the tiny problem that trying to find a recharge location is going to be very challenging in the rural areas....

It's still a maturing technology though. If you don't work at it, it'll never "get there". The supercharge stations are a big step forward, bringing your charge time down to reasonable levels.

The physics is there. Electric cars are insanely efficient from a physics standpoint. Last I heard something like 98% efficiency at the top end, and 90% or higher efficiency is totally achievable, vs the 20-30% efficiency of modern combustion engines. They're also a fraction of the size and weight of a modern internal combustion engine. What's *not* there is the battery technology, the chemists, but that's improving. Ten years ago batteries didn't perform like they do now, in another ten years the chemistry will probably be there to eliminate a lot of the issues with modern batteries, or we'll have moved onto something else.

Tesla is the first "practical" electrical car line that has hit the market. Is the technology mature? Not really, but that we've gotten to this point is a good thing. Personally, I think that the solution in the long term is probably to ditch most batteries and run induction cables through the road so that you're pulling power from a very smart grid instead of storing power in your car. If you need to travel off the grid, internal combustion or a small fuel cell would be adequate.

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 15, 2013, 22:50 eRe4s3r

The funny thing is that an Audi A6 is terribly out-dated and in-efficient. Compare the Tesla to a Toyota Prius and things look very different...

Also your math is kinda flawed. a 85kw battery for the Tesla for example, needs to be charged with 102kw since about 20% is lost on charge.

Any way you look at it, a tesla is a terrible idea. Less range, higher cost. There is also the tiny problem that trying to find a recharge location is going to be very challenging in the rural areas....

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 Bodolza

I don't get why people are saying the Tesla's are overpriced. A similarly equipped (but slower) Audi A6 will run you about $65K. That's the same as the most expensive Tesla model after tax credits. Premium gas is running around $4.50 gallon around here. Assuming a light 10K a year driving, the Tesla will end up being a couple thousand dollars less than it's competitors after just one year of use, and it just gets cheaper in comparison year after year.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 15, 2013, 09:04 wtf_man

Top Gear already showed their tech was rubbish and Tesla is suing them too. I'm not sure the NY times is all that off... although they aren't all that trustworthy either.

That said... Like Top Gear showed... the fricken roadster is just too heavy to handle worth a crap... and if you drive it like you're going to have some fun with it... the range is decreased considerably (It doesn't matter what the exact numbers are).

If I were to go electric... I'd want to see more Hydrogen Fuel Cell cars. Honda (I Think) has some pilot program running down in Los Angeles where they have fuel cell stations available in the area. Add Hydrogen cell pumps to existing gas stations (Along with solar and verticale windmills (they look like a giant cork screw) to offset some of the conversion cost), and almost any current body styled car can be designed to have a fuel cell system.

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 09:17.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 15, 2013, 06:35 eRe4s3r

The joke is in Europe these cars are absolutely insanely overpriced as well.. you pay 5 times more per mile/km than with normal fuel. That's one reason why Germany pushes for renewable energy but not electrical cars. Over here, with our winters you'd lose about 50€ per week simply because the batteries drain during cold.

Another one of those technologies that sound good on paper, until you do the math. Even if OIL was scarce and super expensive. Meaning, above 4€ per liter. Even then electricity powered driving would STILL be more expensive.

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 14, 2013, 21:59 Cutter

The Tesla cars are sweet inside and out - there's a dealership here and I checked one out over Xmas for the hell of it - but they still cost far too much and really aren't practical outside of city driving. And why would I want to pay 70k for a car I only drive in town? I'd rather have an MDI Air Car for 5k-10k.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo