Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Linux Leaves Beta

Valve announces the official release of Steam for Linux, supported by a Steam for Linux Community Hub and a sale where over 50 Linux titles are now 50-75% off. Here's word:

The Steam client is now available to download for free from the Ubuntu Software Center. Ubuntu is the most popular distribution of Linux used by millions of people globally and known for its well-designed, easy-to-use customer experience.

“The introduction of Steam to Ubuntu demonstrates growing demand for open systems from gamers and game developers,” said David Pitkin, Director of Consumer Applications at Canonical. “We expect a growing number of game developers to include Ubuntu among their target platforms. We’re looking forward to seeing AAA games developed with Ubuntu in mind as part of a multi-platform day and date release on Steam.”

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 16:54 Dev

Info on virtual setup to get the tux item. Sounds like TF2 doesn't play well in a virtual box, but it works well enough to get the tux. Kinda like a hackintosh worked well enough to get the earbuds but couldn't actually play the game lol.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3078518
guide 1
guide 2

A few different guides. One of them talks about linking your existing TF2 content so you don't have to redownload.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 12:40 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 12:02:
Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:04:
BTW, if anyone has a remote interest in TF2, log in in the next 2 weeks from linux:

Through the end of the month, play the Free-To- Play Team Fortress 2 on Linux and get a free Tux item in-game.

I think its similar to how they gave away earbuds for mac logins when they first released that client. Easy enough to do it without changing your current OS, give a live USB drive a try, or install the free virtual box and setup a virtual linux install.

The "Win8 thing" which is a joke to begin with, is what motivated them to actually finish something for a change.

They finish plenty of things, just not always the things we want.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

31. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 RollinThundr

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:04:
BTW, if anyone has a remote interest in TF2, log in in the next 2 weeks from linux:

Through the end of the month, play the Free-To- Play Team Fortress 2 on Linux and get a free Tux item in-game.

I think its similar to how they gave away earbuds for mac logins when they first released that client. Easy enough to do it without changing your current OS, give a live USB drive a try, or install the free virtual box and setup a virtual linux install.

The "Win8 thing" which is a joke to begin with, is what motivated them to actually finish something for a change.

30. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 10:29 WaltC

Dev wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 06:00:
It isn't that quick, they've been working on it off and on for years. Though I think the win 8 thing pushed a few of them to wheel their desks over to the linux corner.

Yea, the "Win8 thing"... Rolleyes Hopefully Gabe has begun to notice how many more of its Steam customers are running Win8 than are running Linux. I'm running Win8 and all of my Steam games run just fine--in fact, there isn't one Windows game I can download from Steam that won't run on Win 8. Even GoG is now certifying its titles compatible with Win 8. He apparently is pissed off because Microsoft opened an on-line store, although he never opened his mouth about Apple's...;) Go figure, people can be weird. The fact that Newell has never bothered to explain his seeming panic over Win 8 is surely understandable--it's embarrassing!

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

29. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 07:15 TheVocalMinority

Wikidd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:36:
Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

That just goes to show how little you know about Stallman. He's long espoused a three tier form of copyright; he only thinks "tools" should be totally free. He's always been quite happy for entertainment to enjoy much stronger protection, except with much reduced terms.

Here's a speech from almost 11 years ago where he outlines his ideal copyright system: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-and-globalization.html

Here's his view on Steam for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

As you can see, he thinks Steam is a bad thing but he'd rather people used non-free software on a free operating system than non-free software on a non-free OS. That's been his view on people using non-free applications since forever.

At times it feels like RMS is as misrepresented as Marx.

Where does this stuff come from? When there was a discussion about Stallman after the article at the second link above was covered here there was an attempt to paint Stallman as a kooky fringe element in the free software movement. This time we have an attempt to misrepresent Stallmans views (whilst claiming others are misrepresenting them, which is cute). That first link does not support the assertion that Stallman believes it is only the tools that should be free, which is complete nonsense. The speech isn't even about free software, it is about copy-write, and as far as I could tell on a quick scan pretty much in line with the view of the Pirate Parties (i.e. limited copy-write protection from commercial reproduction).

Again, nice try...

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

28. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 06:04 Dev

27. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 06:00 Dev

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:28:
Amazing how quick they can put something out when they "feel" like working on it.
It isn't that quick, they've been working on it off and on for years. Though I think the win 8 thing pushed a few of them to wheel their desks over to the linux corner.

26. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 15, 2013, 00:03 deqer

Creston wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 22:23:
What the hell is it updating? The internet??

Creston
This joke might have been funny had you used it for something bigger than 110mb.

25. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 22:25 Creston

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:06:
Buying a Linux version doesn't give you access to the Windows version, right?

Edit - it seems that isn't true - you get access regardless of platform. That's how every site needs to do this. Microsoft, you want a 3 screen experience? Can't charge us for each screen. Or, at worst, you can only charge us a nominal fee for all 3 screens.

Please. This is Microsoft. Not only will they charge you separately for 3 screens, but they will charge you a fucking fee for having screen 1 talk to screen 2 and screen 2 talk to screen 3. They are the ones who invented the fucking words "Seat Licensing."

Creston

24. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 22:23 Creston

So is this why Steam is downloading a 110 flippin' MB update? That's like twice the size of the actual frakking client. What the hell is it updating? The internet??

Creston

23. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 19:02 mag

crypto wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 18:40:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
The NVIDIA linux driver is closed and not free ...

Drivers are free.

Free as in beer, but not free as in speech.

22. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 19:02 Grokk

crypto wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 18:40:

Drivers are free.

He meant the other free.

The drivers might not actually cost anything, but you're still installing a compiled product with proprietary code in it.

Eg: You're able to use them without spending any money, but you cannot modify / reverse engineer or do other things to make it better or different.

21. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 18:40 crypto

Drivers are free.

20. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:36 Wikidd

Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

That just goes to show how little you know about Stallman. He's long espoused a three tier form of copyright; he only thinks "tools" should be totally free. He's always been quite happy for entertainment to enjoy much stronger protection, except with much reduced terms.

Here's a speech from almost 11 years ago where he outlines his ideal copyright system: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyright-and-globalization.html

Here's his view on Steam for Linux: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

As you can see, he thinks Steam is a bad thing but he'd rather people used non-free software on a free operating system than non-free software on a non-free OS. That's been his view on people using non-free applications since forever.

At times it feels like RMS is as misrepresented as Marx.

19. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:28 Atomic

Product leaves beta days/hours after people are laid off? Does this solve a mystery?  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

18. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:05 Beelzebud

SirKnight wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:01:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

Yeah he says it's better IF you're going to do it anyway, but this does not mean he thinks it's a good thing in general.

The point is that even Stallman recognizes that it's a good thing, because it will bring more people to try out Linux. He's not going to start wearing the TF2 Linux t-shirt, but it does contradict the notion that he's completely against it.

17. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:04 Mashiki Amiketo

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 16:01:
FTL for $4.99.

If you do not yet own FTL, go own FTL. Now.
Yeah that's a fun little game, kept me from going bored while traveling and was even playble on my 4yr old laptop.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:02 avianflu

I think we have to embrace the fact that linux is what it is now in 2013, rather than the giant promise that it held 15-20 years ago.

Anything like a Steam client would have been anathema in the old days -- when open source was the bedrock of the internet -- but these days? Everything is closed system and retail.

15. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:01 SirKnight

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:58:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

Yeah he says it's better IF you're going to do it anyway, but this does not mean he thinks it's a good thing in general.

14. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 16:01 Beamer

FTL for $4.99.

If you do not yet own FTL, go own FTL. Now.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo