Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam for Linux Leaves Beta

Valve announces the official release of Steam for Linux, supported by a Steam for Linux Community Hub and a sale where over 50 Linux titles are now 50-75% off. Here's word:

The Steam client is now available to download for free from the Ubuntu Software Center. Ubuntu is the most popular distribution of Linux used by millions of people globally and known for its well-designed, easy-to-use customer experience.

“The introduction of Steam to Ubuntu demonstrates growing demand for open systems from gamers and game developers,” said David Pitkin, Director of Consumer Applications at Canonical. “We expect a growing number of game developers to include Ubuntu among their target platforms. We’re looking forward to seeing AAA games developed with Ubuntu in mind as part of a multi-platform day and date release on Steam.”

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

13. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:58 SirKnight

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:18:
I thought Linux was the choice OS of those wishing to avoid DRM, closed systems and proprietary software.

What's next for Ubuntu, the Metro interface? Oh wait...

It is, but there is no law that says you can not use proprietary software with linux. The NVIDIA linux driver is closed and not free and many people are fine with that because it allows full acceleration and features that the free drivers do not have.

I like the idea of free software and will use it if I see fit, but I also see the need for non-free software and I have no issues using it. Stallman on the other hand would probably kill himself before using non-free software.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:58 Beelzebud

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.html

However, if you're going to use these games, you're better off using them on GNU/Linux rather than on Microsoft Windows. At least you avoid the harm to your freedom that Windows would do.

Thus, in direct practical terms, this development can do both harm and good. It might encourage GNU/Linux users to install these games, and it might encourage users of the games to replace Windows with GNU/Linux. My guess is that the direct good effect will be bigger than the direct harm.

I don't think you'll ever see him using it, or telling people to use it, but he's pretty clear that it isn't an entirely negative thing to have, and actually will do more good than bad.

11. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:54 deqer

Wow, I didn't expect it so quick. Good work, Valve.

I guess Valve knows how to push their employees.

"<Valve> What? You're not done that yet? I thought you know this stuff?"

"<Employee> I do, I do. Let me get back to you on that. *goes home, and does homework*"

10. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:52 SirKnight

Panickd wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:48:
Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:31:
Even Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the Free Software Foundation) has said that Steam on Linux is a good thing.

I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

Yeah I don't see how Stallman would approve of Steam at all. Now if Steam was "Free Software" and distributed only "Free Software" then he would be all hot and bothered by it.

9. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:48 Panickd

Beelzebud wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:31:
Even Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the Free Software Foundation) has said that Steam on Linux is a good thing.

I'm going to need a link to back that up because that sounds like pretty much the polar opposite of what Stallman stands for and pretty much anything he's ever said.

8. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:31 Beelzebud

Optional Nickname! wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:18:
I thought Linux was the choice OS of those wishing to avoid DRM, closed systems and proprietary software.

You thought wrong. Even Richard Stallman (creator of GNU and the Free Software Foundation) has said that Steam on Linux is a good thing.

Entertainment software isn't the same as production software that you'd use to run a server farm.

7. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:28 RollinThundr

Amazing how quick they can put something out when they "feel" like working on it.  

6. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:26 jacobvandy

Yeah, to be clear, ALL of the games on sale are for Windows + Linux, and MOST of them have Mac versions also. Steam doesn't sell them separately, so you buy the game once and get them on all platforms it's available for.  

5. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:22 theyarecomingforyou

Draugr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 15:17:
If it has a steamplay tag then it works across any supported OS.
Exactly. Only shitty publishers like Activision charge separately - as far as I'm aware Call Of Duty is the only franchise that has games on Steam that ONLY run on Mac (as in there is no Windows support).

The vast majority of developers / publishers use SteamPlay, which means that games are playable on every platform from a single purchase.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

4. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:18 Optional Nickname!

3. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:17 Draugr

If it has a steamplay tag then it works across any supported OS.  

2. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 15:06 Beamer

Buying a Linux version doesn't give you access to the Windows version, right?

Edit - it seems that isn't true - you get access regardless of platform. That's how every site needs to do this. Microsoft, you want a 3 screen experience? Can't charge us for each screen. Or, at worst, you can only charge us a nominal fee for all 3 screens.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Steam for Linux Leaves Beta Feb 14, 2013, 14:55 Verno

There's some decent indie stuff in that list, never thought I'd see the day this stuff happened for Linux.  

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo