Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games

Wargaming announces it has stepped in to rescue troubled developer Gas Powered Games from the brink of closure following the cancellation of the Kickstarter for Wildman, GPG's Hail Mary action/RPG/RTS:

14th February, 2013 - Wargaming, the leading free-to-play MMO developer and publisher, today announced its agreement to acquire Seattle-based developer Gas Powered Games, the maker of memorable and critically acclaimed franchises such as Dungeon Siege, Supreme Commander and Demigod.

Wargaming will take full ownership of Gas Powered Games, bringing into its fold a contingent of veteran developers, including CEO and company founder Chris Taylor. The acquisition will further bolster Wargaming's push into multiplatform expansion, including the recent acquisition announcement of Chicago-based Day 1 Studios and MMO middleware provider Big World Pty Ltd.

"Gas Powered Games' heritage and development pedigree shows us just how valuable an addition Chris and his company will make to the Wargaming family," said Victor Kislyi, CEO of Wargaming. "Gas Powered Games has a long track record of providing incredibly engaging AAA gaming experiences and we can't wait to start working with them."

"Wargaming growth in recent years has been tremendous, and we're looking forward to joining one of the fastest growing gaming companies in the world," added Chris Taylor, CEO of Gas Powered Games. "I'm sure our experience and expertise will help us contribute even more to Wargaming's global success."

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

18. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 14:05 jdreyer

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:41:

Again how are they getting all this revenue to buy up devs? Aside from World of Tanks and World of Warplanes I have never heard of any of the titles they've published.

It's a good question. I didn't think that WoT was really that popular. I suppose they could get a loan and amortize the purchase. Also, I'm sure that GPG probably didn't cost that much, being on the brink of insolvency.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 14:04 HoSpanky

Ehh, I think Planetary Annihilation is your best bet for another TA-style game, not Chris Taylor. If it can live up to the proposed system (don't have big enough guns? mount engines to an asteroid and crash it into an enemy planet! 40 player multi!), I'll be glad to pay full price for it, even with a massive backlog of games on steam.  

16. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 13:55 Orphic Resonance

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:41:
Again how are they getting all this revenue to buy up devs? Aside from World of Tanks and World of Warplanes I have never heard of any of the titles they've published.

it must be MAGIC!!

15. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 13:41 RollinThundr

jdreyer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:04:
Here's a list of games they've published.

From the About on their site:

Founded as a privately held company in 1998, Wargaming has shipped more than 15 titles and employs over 1200 professionals across such key regions as North America, Europe, Russia, Asia and Australia.
Currently, Wargaming is focused on its team-based MMO war series dedicated to the mid-20th century warfare that will include the company's flagship armored MMO World of Tanks, launched in April 2011 and currently boasting 45 million players worldwide.

It will be interesting to see how they use GPG. I might start up a petition to petition them to finish Kings and Castles.

While I'm glad GPG got saved, I'm a bit worried about the fact that Wargaming is primarily MMO and also this part: "The acquisition will further bolster Wargaming's push into multiplatform expansion." I liked SupCom 2 (which was multiplatform), but it is inferior to SupCom 1 in many ways.

14. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 13:19 Cutter

Jedi Master wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:36:
Don't forget their new World of Warplanes MMO as well.

If they oversee GPG "hands off" and let them do Wildman, this would be good. If they just see them as another resource to give WOT/WOWP modules to work on...

How so? If GPG managed themselves correctly they wouldn't be in this position to begin with. I suspect they just want the IPs and will cut everyone else loose in short order.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 13:04 jdreyer

Here's a list of games they've published.

From the About on their site:

Founded as a privately held company in 1998, Wargaming has shipped more than 15 titles and employs over 1200 professionals across such key regions as North America, Europe, Russia, Asia and Australia.
Currently, Wargaming is focused on its team-based MMO war series dedicated to the mid-20th century warfare that will include the company's flagship armored MMO World of Tanks, launched in April 2011 and currently boasting 45 million players worldwide.

It will be interesting to see how they use GPG. I might start up a petition to petition them to finish Kings and Castles.

While I'm glad GPG got saved, I'm a bit worried about the fact that Wargaming is primarily MMO and also this part: "The acquisition will further bolster Wargaming's push into multiplatform expansion." I liked SupCom 2 (which was multiplatform), but it is inferior to SupCom 1 in many ways.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:53 Despoiler

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:15:
Wargaming has done what? League of Legends and World of tanks? Where are they getting all these resources to buy studios left and right? Considering they just acquired Day 1 Studios as well. Is League really that successful?

Riot Games does League of Legends.

11. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:51 Darks

Well, this took me by surprise. I knew he had something brewing, but never expected this.

I say good luck to him on his new endeavor and I hope it all works out. Going to be interesting to see if they keep the doors open in Seattle or bring them in-house.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

10. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:43 w00tie

http://www.geforce.com/landing-page/free-2-play

Something tells me they're rolling in the cash right about now.

9. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:38 Omni

Well that was something else for sure. Maybe Wargaming liked what GPG did with AoE:online and want them to make something similar.

But I don't even know.

8. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:36 Jedi Master

Don't forget their new World of Warplanes MMO as well.

If they oversee GPG "hands off" and let them do Wildman, this would be good. If they just see them as another resource to give WOT/WOWP modules to work on...

7. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:33 SpectralMeat

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:14:
Supcom FA was, and is, the bomb, yo. I hope they do more like that, and less like Supcom 2.
If there will be any more SupCom game it is not going to come from GasPowered Games or Wargaming, as the SupCom license is not theirs anymore if I remember correctly.
Anyways keep an eye on Planetary Annihilation that is your next SupCom game.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 bhcompy

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:15:
Wargaming has done what? League of Legends and World of tanks? Where are they getting all these resources to buy studios left and right? Considering they just acquired Day 1 Studios as well. Is League really that successful?

Wargaming is responsible for World of Tanks, but not League of Legends.

That said, it looks like they may be looking at a MOBA or a Guild Wars type game with these acquisitions.

As far as resources, well done free to play games are cash cows right now, apparently. LoL is the most played game worldwide and World of Tanks does fairly well. The key to both is their international appeal. LoL is huge in southeast/east Asia and WoT is huge in Europe/Russia.

5. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:18 Creston

It beats going out of business, but from everything Chris has said, about the last thing he wanted to do was to sell out to a publisher.

I figure he'll stay for 6 months to a year, then split, and form another independent studio. I can't imagine he'll thrive at all under corporate oversight, especially not with a publisher that does MMOs.

I just hope all the guys who got laid off will get their jobs back. (or have hopefully already found employment elsewhere.)

Creston

4. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:15 RollinThundr

3. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:14 Gas Bandit

Supcom FA was, and is, the bomb, yo. I hope they do more like that, and less like Supcom 2.  

2. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:09 Tim

ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:05:
Well, this was unexpected.

The name or the acquisition? Chris pretty much said something was in the offing but I didn't think of this part. company at all.

It's good news, i'd like GPG to stick around almost as much as I'd like to see a resurgence of classic hardcore RTS'. So many happy hours spent playing SupCom FA + Black Ops mod..

1. Re: Wargaming Acquires Gas Powered Games Feb 14, 2013, 12:05 ASeven

Well, this was unexpected.  

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo