Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

System Shock 2 on GOG.com

GOG.com now offers digital distribution of System Shock 2, following the revelation that the classic action/RPG was being tweaked for re-release for current computers on the DRM-free marketplace. For the uninitiated (which is unlikely around here), here's what Jason "loonyboi" Bergman wrote here about the game, going on 13 years ago:

Boy am I ever hooked. I haven't enjoyed a single player game this much since Half-Life, and I can't recommend the game any more highly. Of course, it should be pointed out that the game is certainly not for everyone. It's definitely more RPG than action...there's quite a bit of action in it, but if you aren't willing to put up with the skills and inventory system you ain't going to get far. If you can make it past that, you'll find yourself totally addicted, much like I am right now. Oh, and one other thing - make sure you've got a great sound setup for this one. The positional audio is some of the best I've ever heard. Really creepy stuff.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

14. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 12:45 Dev

Rosco wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:38:
this certainly has my curiosity piqued:
(got this from the GOG site for the game)
"Minimum system requirements: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, 1.8 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9.0c, 2GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard."
They must have really put some work to this, I originally played this game on a Voodoo 3, AMD K6-2 400Mhz, DirectX 6 or 7.0. My entire hard drive back then was only 2 GB!
More than likely thats just what win 7 needs to be comfortable. I don't think they tweaked the graphics that much.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 12:41 Dev

Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 12:08:
JeffCO wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:59:
I'm looking for the best mods to play this game for the first time. I'm seeing different mods on different sites. Is there one site that has the best mods?

First here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

Then follow what's here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

The site is getting hammered by so much traffic they had to temporarily limit access. It should be back up tomorrow. Mirrors are showing up here.
Thanks for the mods links for the system shock games

12. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 12:38 Rosco

this certainly has my curiosity piqued:
(got this from the GOG site for the game)
"Minimum system requirements: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8, 1.8 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 9.0c, 2GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard."
They must have really put some work to this, I originally played this game on a Voodoo 3, AMD K6-2 400Mhz, DirectX 6 or 7.0. My entire hard drive back then was only 2 GB!

Consoles are schwag.

11. Re: System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 12:16 Atomic

Outstanding linkage, thanks!

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 12:23.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

10. Re: System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 12:08 Mad Max RW

JeffCO wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:59:
I'm looking for the best mods to play this game for the first time. I'm seeing different mods on different sites. Is there one site that has the best mods?

First here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4141.0

Then follow what's here: http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=4447.0

The site is getting hammered by so much traffic they had to temporarily limit access. It should be back up tomorrow. Mirrors are showing up here.

9. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 11:55 Sho

Man, I envy you. To play SS2 was ridiculous amounts of fun even the third time, but to play it again for the first ...  

8. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 11:40 NegaDeath

One of those games I keep hearing about but have never played. Might give this a go. 4 day weekend demands a new game to play.  

7. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 11:32 Rosco

Well, that settles it for me, I know what I'll be doing this weekend now!  
Consoles are schwag.

6. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 10:46 Kajetan

wtf_man wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 10:01:
It really saddens me that Bioshock didn't follow this formula, and wasn't a true "spiritual successor".
Sadly Crowdfunding for video games wasnt that popular in 2007

5. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 10:01 wtf_man

It's definitely more RPG than action...there's quite a bit of action in it, but if you aren't willing to put up with the skills and inventory system you ain't going to get far.

It really saddens me that Bioshock didn't follow this formula, and wasn't a true "spiritual successor".

But like I said in yesterdays thread, If they've figured out how to untangle the license, it would be great to see a SS1 remake or SS3.

4. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 Reactor

I don't instabuy much, but this one I'm happy too.  

3. System Shock 2 Mods Feb 14, 2013, 09:59 JeffCO

2. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 09:50 SykesN.

Yes! Been waiting for this one. So many hours lost in this game back in the day.  

1. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Feb 14, 2013, 09:41 nin

Excellent!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo