Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Warframe Open Beta

Digital Extremes announces this weekend will be an open beta stress test for Warframe, their upcoming free-to-play co-op third-person shooter. No key is required to participate, and the event will commence tomorrow at noon eastern time, and will run all the way until Tuesday morning. As an incentive, this will include the opportunity to acquire a weapon exclusive to the stress test:

In celebration of this Open Beta weekend, we have designed an exclusive weapon -- available this weekend only in the market for just 1 credit! The BRATON VANDAL is a Limited Edition rifle that has been tuned and customized by the Tenno. Its colorful design makes it easily distinguishable from the standard Corpus BRATON and has lower fire rate than the standard model, but higher damage per shot. The VANDAL is the first choice among many Tenno for its reliability and mobility-an more refined version of an already popular model.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 19:40 Hump

Ripperjack wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:28:
This game is blatiant Pay 2 Win rubbish, which rewards you for using your daddy's credit card, rather than developing any skill.

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Play FireFall and Defiance instead.

same horseshit was being spread about Tribes: Ascend. It usually turned out to some asshole who never played the game and/or can't comprehend that F2P is a totally viable (and, IMO, much less expensive) business model. Are there "pay-to-win" games out there? No doubt. but you should probably try it out before yelling this tired reactionary cliche every time a F2P game is announced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 19:28 Fantaz

Apparently this game is what Dark Sector (the original tech demo) was supposed to be. They turn it into a cool F2P shooter. Looks interesting, and I like the asian drums soundtrack.  

7. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 17:40 bigspender

This game is blatiant Pay 2 Win rubbish, which rewards you for using your daddy's credit card, rather than developing any skill.

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

wtf are you talking about? For starters the game is ONLY PVE!

the game is a blast and I haven't dropped a single dollar into it. I would recommend waiting for the final release though since they haven't finished adding in all of skills and maps and guns etc, it lacks a little variety atm.

6. Re: Warframe Open Beta Feb 14, 2013, 14:08 descender

I couldn't decide if it looked better or worse with the color correction off... maybe I'll run a few maps later with it off again.

I've never seen that setting change so much in a game before. It's been in TF2 for a long, long time... and seemingly did nothing.

I had to disable bloom/lens flares too... I just don't understand why every light has to be overbearingly bright and glowing in my face... Skyrim suffered from the same exact problem (with no simple way of disabling it either).

Do people really see the world like this? That must be awful.

5. Re: Warframe Open Beta Feb 14, 2013, 14:01 Slayblaze

The first thing you have to do is go into the video options and disable the Color Correction, otherwise everything has a blue/green tint for some odd reason, and looks way too dark. There might be a certain appeal to that spooky super-dark look but being able to actually see everything realistically is far better, and there are still areas of dim lighting.

I've had a LOT of fun in Warframe's CB for the past couple months now, there have been a few pretty major changes in that time, most of which offered big improvements. For the truly-free player there's plenty of gameplay, and you can upgrade two frames to max level for free as well as plenty of weapons. For non-paying players the only limit is in how many max-level frames and weapons you can craft so you only have fewer options but no disadvantages over paying players.

4. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 13:23 descender

There is no paywall, or pay to win in this game... this is just nonsense. It's 100% PvE, so there is nothing to win.

I've put nearly 100 hours into this beta and have not even had the inkling of spending any money. You can find everything in the game through blueprints and craft everything that costs money in the store.

Their interface needs some work, navigating around the solar system map is both clunky and un-intuitive. I want to go to Uranus, oh... Obviously I must visit Venus first, that makes sense.

There are some balance issues with the game as well, the dash-slide-slash move that every single warframe gets is very overpowered and trivializes a lot of the content. The brightness/contrast/color correction in the game is very odd too, the game is super dark by default and attempting to fix this just makes it look washed out and strange.

Still having fun playing it though... despite the issues.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2013, 14:09.

3. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 10:55 thestryker

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Curious if you have actually played this game making a comment like that. I think I put in around 10 hours or so without feeling a hard pay wall. There are two things that I think should be changed 1) item slots are only through paid currency 2) armor/weapon upgrade items are overly rng, but can be bypassed via p2w. You can get armor/weapons through some farming and in game reward currency. Game is 100% coop/pve so anyone who likes that concept should consider giving it a go.

Defiance has auto aim that cannot be turned off, no in game voice settings and an awful friend system, so I'm not sure why you'd think that is worth people's time in its current state. I hope it gets better, but right now it's most certainly not worth the upcoming $60 price of admission. Firefall was a lot of fun the last time I played it, much better pvp than pve imo, but very good game play overall, and shooter fans should definitely check it out.

2. Re: This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 10:42 kunic

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

The only thing in the game you really have to buy is more Warframe slots and more Weapon slots. But even then you're only spending ~10-15$ to get more than you need. Besides, how can a PvE-only game truly be pay-to-win? It's more of a pay for convenience than anything.

1. This is Pay 2 Win rubbish. Feb 14, 2013, 09:28 Ripperjack

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo