Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 15, 2013, 06:20 Golwar

I always wonder when Yahtzee rates JRPGs from an "adult's" perspective ... where is that perspective when he plays any other games?
Seriously, it seems rather dumb to criticize a game for its setting, that is fantasy per se, while games that claim to be realistic are full of unrealistic crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 18:32 Asmo

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:34:
Liking it in small spurts,

God forgive me... That's what she said... X D

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 16:56 The Half Elf

Ya know what's really going to be sad... didn't Gearbox say that the Wii U version was going to be the best looking version of the game? Wouldn't take much to make it true.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 14:24 Verno

Yeah that's fair, I'm a huge JRPG nut and studio ghibli owns but it's not for everyone. I don't think anything topped Xenoblade or Tales of Vesperia for me this gen, it was pretty weak all around except for the DS/PSP. I was thinking of grabbing Tales of Graces F or FFXIII-2 but the reviews for the former are really mixed and I hated FFXIII so I don't really want to reward them by picking up the latter. I guess for $10 or whatever maybe? I don't know, anyone play it?  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 13:42 Orphic Resonance

its clearly designed for 7-10 year olds, primarily.. and it suffers for that in a big way

im a studio ghibli fanboy so im down, but id suggest most adult gamers should probably look elsewhere

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 13:34 Ray Marden

He does nail all the main points, though. The game looks nice and they tried something slightly different with the hero, but...it takes way too long to get going, it clubs you over the head with explanations, it has drastic pacing issues, the combat mechanics don't work well together, you have a battle every ten seconds or so, and then it turns into a Pokemon game.

If you love JRPGS, this is your game. Otherwise, I feel the gameplay pales in comparison to the world - I might even wish that it was an action RPG of some sort.
It taunts you with its potential.
Liking it in small spurts,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 12:10 avianflu

I have tried repeatedly to like JRPG's because I like turn-based. So I have really really tried. But the hyper-adolescent plots are a big reason I avoid them. Its not like Mass Effect is the most mature story ever, but that is wholesale better than the characters and stories we get in jrpg's. Kuni looks amazingly artful, but I personally cannot get past the characters.  

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 Verno

I find TotalBiscuit to have more of a well rounded view on games, he has preferences but also retains some objectivity when looking at things. He also strikes me as more of a "core" gamer in that hes fairly competent at most games and digs beneath the surface of mechanics and whatnot.  

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 11:55 Pete

I was not aware that anyone actually took his reviews seriously. I always assumed it was more satire than anything.  
Doin' it Big

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 11:31 Jivaro

Yahtzee doing a review on a Japanese game? I already know how that is going to turn out...and 'poorly' is the first word that jumps out at me. I think I will take the word of folks that actually like the style and genre.

As I said in another thread, I dig his style and I do use his reviews for certain types of games, generally single player western RPG or action games. He just doesn't seem interested in multiplayer games enough to focus on anything other then the twerps you are bound to run into with any online game. As for Japanese games...well that is just low hanging fruit for his style of humor to pick off. Probably an amusing review from that stand point. As I want to avoid spoilers, I will wait until after I have played the game to watch it.

2. ni no kuni Feb 14, 2013, 10:04 Orphic Resonance

its pretty standard stuff, fairly well done but standard

the graphics are amazing tho, thats what keeps me playing - the art design is great and the story is ok

i would have preferred a bit more of a mature tale, even 'spirited away' seems more mature than this and thats saying something.. 'princess mononoke' is at the sweet spot imo

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 14, 2013, 09:28 Verno

While some of his criticisms are spot on, I think the only Japanese game Yahtzee has ever liked was Paper Mario. It has its warts but I'm still enjoying Ni No Kuni. There isn't much out there for next gen JRPG - Tales of Graces F, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Xenoblade, and The Last Story.  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo