Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Valve Layoffs

Gamasutra expands upon the story of Valve's firing of engineer Jeri Ellsworth with the report that as many as 25 staff were fired by the developer yesterday. Details are scarce, though after contact with some of those involved, they say: "the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues." They also have a speculative list of those who may have been let go by comparing the company's employee directory to a cached version from last month. Following up, Engadget has a statement about this from Valve Managing Director Gabe Newell:

"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

View
47. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 17:21:
Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 14:41:
Yes, I'm mocking you. You've been trumpeting the industry collapse for like 3 years.
So I'm mocking "very wrong." It's very early to say this is a sign of things being "very wrong." We know Valve is valued at over a billion dollars. If they actually accepted a buyout, especially at less than that, things would be "very wrong."

Go back to school and understand being made fun of. Well, my guess is that happened to you plenty at school, so you probably do understand.

But my point was that it's so ridiculously premature to sit here and say "clearly something is very wrong." It isn't clear at all. In fact, there's plenty of discussion in this very thread about how it may not imply things being even kind of wrong, let alone very wrong.

Tell me, though, what the hell am I apologizing for that you call me an apologist? Especially weird that you call me a corporate apologist and backing you is RollinThundr, who calls me a bleeding heart liberal. Those two are diametrically opposite, so you two should get some kind of conference and decide which I am.

Because you are a god damn publisher apologist. That you aren't aware of that is either sad or laughable, likely both.

As for the crash, I mean, sales have been rising for the past 3 years and no publishers have closed or their stocks crashed, am I right?!

Christ, you're as dumb as you're an apologist if you still can say that there won't be a crash, especially now. Just a few days ago Codemasters effectively ceased to exist as a publisher, becoming a dev house only. Nintendo, MS and Sony are in dire financial straits with MS losing money like hell due to their console department. Nintendo expects lower than expected WiiU sales as the demand for it is sinking fast. Demand for the next-gen consoles isn't as high as people expected it would be.

Yeah, this industry is headed for a golden age, for sure.

And as others pointed out, since you have no grasp of business management or basic finances, with the sort of workforce Valve employs being talented in multiple areas that they could be easily transfered to other departments and with Josh being fired, the same guy that also made Big Picture, Steam Mobile, came up with Daily Sales and a lot of promotions that brought Valve a lot of money, yeah, something is not quite right at Valve, a blind man can see it, but then again, you go beyond blind and become dumb of mind on purpose sometimes.

Get some common sense and some intelligence and then you'll probably be taken a bit more serious around here.

You're as dumb as RollinThundr.

You: They're crashing
Me: They're not crashing
You: Oh yeah, it's the golden years!
Me: I never said they're the golden years.

There is middle ground between "crashing" and "golden years." You realize that, right?

Also, you ass, I'm pretty sure that no matter what people here think of me, they'd admit I tend to be pretty good with business management abd basic finances. You, on the other hand, have never once proven this. You've never joined in with the basic economics when we discuss a business plan here. You never join into any true business speculation. All you ever do is say "OMG, they're going to go out of business."

You've claimed to be an analyst, but there's zero chance that's true. Zero. Again, you don't join into any of the business plan discussion.

Lastly, Josh? You mean... Jason? And again, YOU CAN'T JUST TRANSFER PEOPLE TO DIFFERENT DEPARTMENTS! Some people are hardware people. Some people are Android people. When you cease doing hardware or Android work, typically they don't want to switch. Fuck, men, just fuck. You're like RollinThundr. Especially because switching them means taking them to an area they do not have as much ability to contribute, but paying them as if they did.

This is the real world. You can't just take someone expensive and move them to an area that they can't carry their weight. And, typically, when someone is at the top of their area, as people need to be to get into Valve, they aren't happy moving somewhere else and being at the bottom.

These people have Valve on their resume. They will be able to find excellent jobs quickly.

Man, it's crazy that you tell me I have no business sense. That's like Tara Reid telling me I have no sense of modesty.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Feb 13, 21:39 Re: More Valve Layoffs xXBatmanXx
  6. Feb 13, 21:55  Re: More Valve Layoffs mag
  11. Feb 13, 23:22   Re: More Valve Layoffs ViRGE
  12. Feb 13, 23:43    Re: More Valve Layoffs Dev
  26. Feb 14, 07:35    Re: More Valve Layoffs Beamer