Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Valve Layoffs

Gamasutra expands upon the story of Valve's firing of engineer Jeri Ellsworth with the report that as many as 25 staff were fired by the developer yesterday. Details are scarce, though after contact with some of those involved, they say: "the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues." They also have a speculative list of those who may have been let go by comparing the company's employee directory to a cached version from last month. Following up, Engadget has a statement about this from Valve Managing Director Gabe Newell:

"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

13. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 00:00 Warskull

ViRGE wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:42:
I appreciate Valve's right to privacy in this matter, but I can't help but wonder. Valve has never had a large layoff like this before; and if Gamasutra is right, it's apparently not across any single division. Valve should be rolling in money, so either their finances aren't as strong as we think, or something is afoot.

You don't mass fire people when things are good.

Perhaps their hardware projects were simply going to cost grossly more than anticipated. Their cashflow can't be bad with their domination of the PC market. However, it is possible their reach exceeded their grasp. The hardware project may have cost more money and manpower than they were willing to invest.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 23:43 Dev

ViRGE wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 23:22:
mag wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:39:
? If nothing is impacted, then why fire 25 people? Might as well have said nothing. My ASSUMPTION is that the mobile and hardware sections aren't doing as projected and they cut a lot of fat from those projects.....

Maybe 25 people are fired exactly because nothing is impacted. They were unnecessary. Superfluous. Excess.
If things are good, then your business is growing and you need more people. Which means if any individual position is necessary, you will typically cross-train them for where you do need them. Booming businesses don't have superfluous people.
And valve tends to hire people who are good in one area, but have broad expertise so they can switch around to different projects. I think they even mention that in their employee handbook.
So its even more likely at valve that one could change "positions" without losing the job

11. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 23:22 ViRGE

mag wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:55:
? If nothing is impacted, then why fire 25 people? Might as well have said nothing. My ASSUMPTION is that the mobile and hardware sections aren't doing as projected and they cut a lot of fat from those projects.....

Maybe 25 people are fired exactly because nothing is impacted. They were unnecessary. Superfluous. Excess.
If things are good, then your business is growing and you need more people. Which means if any individual position is necessary, you will typically cross-train them for where you do need them. Booming businesses don't have superfluous people.

10. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 22:38 Sepharo

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:40:
One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba! Gooba gobba!
*googles*

I dont understand

It's from Freaks.

9. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 22:07 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:40:
*googles*

I dont understand

8. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:57 jacobvandy

ViRGE wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:42:
I appreciate Valve's right to privacy in this matter, but I can't help but wonder. Valve has never had a large layoff like this before; and if Gamasutra is right, it's apparently not across any single division. Valve should be rolling in money, so either their finances aren't as strong as we think, or something is afoot.

You do when you decide they're just not needed anymore? It's a business, not a charity, you don't just keep people employed to be nice to them. And just because they're not canceling projects or changing any projects which they have discussed publicly, that doesn't mean they couldn't have decided to shift priorities in some other way. Like they had some engineers coming up with ideas and most of them stunk, so they pick the best ones to focus on, leading to excess staff that they didn't need after all being let go. Yes I'm speculating, but so are you.

Re: "they've never had a large layoff." And how would you know that?

7. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:57 Closed Betas

Definate drama coming here, someone didnt jump when told to jump...
it will be out soon enough

6. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:55 mag

5. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:45 Orphic Resonance

it was the HL3 team  

4. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:42 ViRGE

3. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:40 nin

We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

Can we discuss what's being worked on, then? How bout that?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

2. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:40 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 13, 2013, 21:39 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo