Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More Valve Layoffs

Gamasutra expands upon the story of Valve's firing of engineer Jeri Ellsworth with the report that as many as 25 staff were fired by the developer yesterday. Details are scarce, though after contact with some of those involved, they say: "the impression we get is that these cuts were driven more by company challenges than by individual performance issues." They also have a speculative list of those who may have been let go by comparing the company's employee directory to a cached version from last month. Following up, Engadget has a statement about this from Valve Managing Director Gabe Newell:

"We don't usually talk about personnel matters for a number of reasons. There seems to be an unusual amount of speculation about some recent changes here, so I thought I'd take the unusual step of addressing them. No, we aren't canceling any projects. No, we aren't changing any priorities or projects we've been discussing. No, this isn't about Steam or Linux or hardware or [insert game name here]. We're not going to discuss why anyone in particular is or isn't working here."

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

33. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 11:34 Armengar

i'd say something is wrong too. Valve wouldnt hire crap people. They can afford to be picky and choosy. The type of people working there would be naturally multi talented, and if they are in a good enough shape then they FIND projects to work on (and make more money).

Laying people off (outside of a takeover) shows the need to cut costs for one reason or another. If the cashflow is heavily in the black then you innovate and design new stuff. If it is flat or negative then you look to trim the fat.

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 09:48 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:17:
Captain negative. Companies never let people go unless something is wrong!

For one, Jason wasn't the head of steam, he was the head of business development. Yes, this put Steam deals on his plate. It also put engine licensing on his plate.
If you're looking for an issue, Steam isn't signing companies up very quickly these days. They're somewhat saturated, and larger companies are trending towards leaving and opening their own store.
Then there was the WarZ failure.
And how successful has engine licensing been?

There are reasons you can find other than "OMG VALVE IS FALLING APART!"

Captain apologist. Go back to basic school and learn how to read!

I said something is very wrong, I didn't say Valve is falling apart. Go back to basic school and learn to read a message before you reply to it.

And yes, there's a lot of reasons for Jason to be fired, still news of firing at Valve are relatively unheard of. There may be something wrong at Valve, there may be not, however Valve is far from falling apart.

31. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 09:17 Beamer

ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 08:18:
Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:27:
ASeven wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:05:
Well, guess Valve's work environment is no longer as good as it was painted. You don't fire these many people without a damn good reason, like finacial overstreching.
Makes you wonder doesn't it? Especially since Gabe is "obsessed" with employee health, and generally to get hired at valve someone has to be somewhat of a generalist, so people can move their desks somewhat freely.

If they are having money problems they have to be spending it like NUTS though. They are bringing in such a huge amount, and no real visible things they are spending tons on. They certainly don't spend it on the steam GUI. They aren't pumping out tons of money losing games. In one interview they talked about spending a million on a hardware lab, but that's not all that much compared to the billions they bring in. I find it hard to believe that they are running out, but like I said this makes me wonder.

Apparently the head of Steam was also let go. Also, if no projects were canceled as Gabe says then why fire people? It doesn't add up and firing the guy that made Steam a powerhouse indicates something is very wrong withing Valve.

Captain negative. Companies never let people go unless something is wrong!

For one, Jason wasn't the head of steam, he was the head of business development. Yes, this put Steam deals on his plate. It also put engine licensing on his plate.
If you're looking for an issue, Steam isn't signing companies up very quickly these days. They're somewhat saturated, and larger companies are trending towards leaving and opening their own store.
Then there was the WarZ failure.
And how successful has engine licensing been?

There are reasons you can find other than "OMG VALVE IS FALLING APART!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 08:29 Golwar

There are more reasons to fire people than just financial ones.
Perhaps some didn't bring the results, acted liked wannabe-stars among their colleagues, spilled company secrets, caused a bad atmosphere at work for whatever reason.

Yes, it is odd if they truly fired as many as 25 at one day. But perhaps Gabe just decided to sweep all those bad apples out in one session?
Anyway, we don't know for sure. I just doubt that finances are the reason.

29. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 08:28 Verno

Companies fire people all the time, firing one person from Steam is a non story to me, firing the whole team would be a story. The spread was across different groups so it looks like some house cleaning, in a big company you often have clashes of personality or people who just can't cut it. Gabe mentioned in an address last month that they have to be aggressive about firing people, I suspect it is really easy for people to slack or go lonestar in that environment.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

28. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 08:20 ASeven

http://youtu.be/yOSJjVD8dPI  

27. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 08:18 ASeven

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:27:
Well, guess Valve's work environment is no longer as good as it was painted. You don't fire these many people without a damn good reason, like finacial overstreching.
Makes you wonder doesn't it? Especially since Gabe is "obsessed" with employee health, and generally to get hired at valve someone has to be somewhat of a generalist, so people can move their desks somewhat freely.

If they are having money problems they have to be spending it like NUTS though. They are bringing in such a huge amount, and no real visible things they are spending tons on. They certainly don't spend it on the steam GUI. They aren't pumping out tons of money losing games. In one interview they talked about spending a million on a hardware lab, but that's not all that much compared to the billions they bring in. I find it hard to believe that they are running out, but like I said this makes me wonder.

Apparently the head of Steam was also let go. Also, if no projects were canceled as Gabe says then why fire people? It doesn't add up and firing the guy that made Steam a powerhouse indicates something is very wrong withing Valve.

26. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 07:35 Beamer

ViRGE wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 23:22:
mag wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:55:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:39:
? If nothing is impacted, then why fire 25 people? Might as well have said nothing. My ASSUMPTION is that the mobile and hardware sections aren't doing as projected and they cut a lot of fat from those projects.....

Maybe 25 people are fired exactly because nothing is impacted. They were unnecessary. Superfluous. Excess.
If things are good, then your business is growing and you need more people. Which means if any individual position is necessary, you will typically cross-train them for where you do need them. Booming businesses don't have superfluous people.

This is ridiculous.
Really, no superfluous people? Cross-training?
Bulllllllllllllllshit.

For one, in order to cross-train you need someone that WANTS to be cross-trained. If you have an Android guy that loves coding for Android and you say "hey, we canceled our Android plans, want to code for Windows instead?" you will probably get someone who says "actually, with Valve on my resume and Android being so popular, I can probably get a new job tomorrow, so no thanks."

And sometimes you just go down a road that is pretty isolated skills-wise. If you spend time working on a controller and hire controller people, then decide not to make a controller, possibly no hardware fab at all, all the engineers that are pretty controller specific really don't have much room. They're highly skilled, highly paid controller people, but lack the skills elsewhere. Sure, you can train them and they can learn, but you're paying them a fortune to be experts, why would you move them somewhere they are no longer experts and why would they want to go back from being an expert to being unskilled?

My company is doing this now. We are saying no jobs are being lost. This is true. But people will be fired. Good people. We have too many, say, IT people and not enough, say, finance people. Some of those IT people are very highly paid and very highly knowledgeable about their field. But we are way overstaffed in that field. They have no finance skills that warrant their paycheck, and if they wanted to be finance people they probably wouldn't have gone into IT. So they'll be let go, and their salaries will be used to hire finance people as experienced as they are. It's unfortunate, but we have a ton of expensive, experienced people sitting idle in some departments and other departments suffocating from a lack of them. We also have a finite amount of money we can spend on g&a. So we need to go through the difficult task of letting some fantastic employees go because their skillset isn't needed but other skillsets are. We could train them, but who wants to go from being a Senior Director of IT to an analyst in finance, which is about what their skill level would be, and why should we pay them $150,000 when an analyst should be making a third of that? We either severely overpay them, or we ask them to take a paycut (which is a huge insult.)

Seriously, what kind of nonsense are you spilling?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 06:29 Cutter

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:02:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:38:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:40:
One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba! Gooba gobba!
*googles*

I dont understand

It's from Freaks.
Yeah, google told me. But

It's from this scene. Freaks is..., well, freaky!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 04:27 Dev

23. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 04:05 ASeven

22. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 02:28 Snapdad

http://www.valvesoftware.com/jobs/job_postings.html

'We're always growing.'

Except this week. We shrunk this week. Other than that, ALWAYS!

21. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:45 Kastagir

shul wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:58:
I hope Gabe knows how to

Gabe doesn't know how to do anything. That's why there's no HL episode 3. That's why Valve has such a chaotic (i.e. nonexistant) management model. Steam is at a point now where it would be successful with or without Gabe Newell. What else is Valve good for these days?

20. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:40 El Pit

Kosumo wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 01:27:
Cutting the fat for an IPO (stockmarket listing) maybe?

Worst
Case
Scenario

Valve would go the way of ActiBlizz, Zenid, EAware. God help us all.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 El Pit

Gabe: "To stop all those rumors, I decided to talk to you and give you no info at all." Yeah, that helps.

So, why let people go? Because it's Valve, and Gabe just felt like doing it? Or because they didn't like the arrangement of their desks, but this time because of back problems Gabe wasn't able to just put the desks where the employees wanted?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

18. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 Sepharo

I'm sure they were let go very comfortably.  

17. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:27 Kosumo

Cutting the fat for an IPO (stockmarket listing) maybe?  

16. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 01:14 banddirector

I never did understand why they let the HL episodes just die on the vine.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

15. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 00:58 shul

So? Valve on kickstarter soon?

Anyway, this is sad. I thought valve were much more employee oriented than this. Firing more than 3 people at a time is suspicious and I am sad for the families impacted. I hope Gabe knows how to turn this around and if these are really company challenges those people will come back.

14. Re: More Valve Layoffs Feb 14, 2013, 00:02 netnerd85

Sepharo wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:38:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 22:07:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:40:
One of us! One of us! Gooba gobba! Gooba gobba!
*googles*

I dont understand

It's from Freaks.
Yeah, google told me. But

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo