Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3

Eurogamer has word that Markus "Notch" Persson is the reason that Age of Wonders 3 is in development, saying the Minecraft creator and Mojang founder stepped up because he's a big fan of the role-playing strategy series. "We noticed Minecraft's random title-screen blurb mentioned Age of Wonders, so I thought what the heck and I sent Notch an email," explains Triumph Studios' Lennart Sas. "We had a demo for Age of Wonders 3 and talked to various parties including traditional publishers. There was certainly interest but the prospect of having Notch help fund was a dream come true, as he's a fan of the game and didn't insist on owning it like many of the publishers do these days when they fund development."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 15, 2013, 06:33 Orphic Resonance

Sepharo wrote on Feb 15, 2013, 00:50:
Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 22:54:
Minecraft is perfect because it is how it is and you can't question it with many people.

I've never called it perfect it's far from that, it's one of the buggiest games out there.

dude you are an apologist, end of story

yes the features are woefully unfinished

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 15, 2013, 00:50 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 22:54:
Minecraft is perfect because it is how it is and you can't question it with many people.

I've never called it perfect it's far from that, it's one of the buggiest games out there.

21. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 22:54 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 20:43
See I tried to say this in a previous thread and got a lot of flak for it. I like Minecraft but man, they really just throw everything at the wall, hope something sticks and move on to the next round. The community is totally driving that game. [/quote:

If you're referring to our discussion, I gave you flak for calling the game "essentially digital lego" and claiming it was "unfinished". Notch talks/talked about features he'd like to add on twitter all the time. Some of them were added some of them weren't and of the ones that were added I don't recall there being a concrete definition of how they would operate. I see character XP, towns, dungeons, and enchanting in the game... My friends who still play the game use that stuff all the time and I don't think they consider those features unfinished.

It is essentially digital lego, sorry but I do believe that is how most people will relate it subconsciously. Not because you put shapes together but because it appeals to that sort of creative building side, there isn't really a game behind it. I was referring to a series of discussions but ours was one yes. I've noticed a trend with Minecraft, people tend to try to explain away all of the games issues with the same answers "sandbox game", "not the creators intention", "that wasnt a promised feature" and so on. Minecraft is perfect because it is how it is and you can't question it with many people. I'm a fan of the game but it has a lot of fucking problems, bullshit they never finished or stuff they just throw in without much thought and leave the community to clean up. I really doubt is anyone playing an unmodded experience and getting that sort of longevity out of the game either, even just considering the sandbox elements.

Oh well, we've done this before with similar results, such is life

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

20. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 22:44 Redmask

Given Notchs standards for his own products, I'm not sure how I feel about him funding other games. I know a lot of people like Minecraft but I thought it was a goddamn mess that could not possibly be called a complete game without snickering.

Then again I also like the Age of Wonders games and want another so maybe they will just take his money and do what they want.

19. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 20:43 Sepharo

Verno wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 14:35:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:38:
no they still havent delivered on that or on many other promises (character upgrades, dungeons, towns, and so forth have only got the most minor upgrades in the past 2 years.. its pretty sad considering how much money flows into that company due to that game)

with that said, the community has picked up all the slack, pretty much

if you decide to play i strongly recommend http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1585216-thaumcraft-303-updated-122013/

that mod is easily 10x better and more well made than original minecraft itself.. combined with a few other mods, it actually becomes something of a real game

See I tried to say this in a previous thread and got a lot of flak for it. I like Minecraft but man, they really just throw everything at the wall, hope something sticks and move on to the next round. The community is totally driving that game.

If you're referring to our discussion, I gave you flak for calling the game "essentially digital lego" and claiming it was "unfinished". Notch talks/talked about features he'd like to add on twitter all the time. Some of them were added some of them weren't and of the ones that were added I don't recall there being a concrete definition of how they would operate. I see character XP, towns, dungeons, and enchanting in the game... My friends who still play the game use that stuff all the time and I don't think they consider those features unfinished.

18. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 20:04 Julio

I guess we just call it Notchstarter instead of Kickstarter. I'll be buying AOW3, looks like it's going to be great.  

17. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 17:20 Fibrocyte

finga wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 08:55:
Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 04:29:
I have a problem, because I'd much rather see it go into improving or expanding minecraft. Maybe doing minecraft 2. He's got his own company, why not re-invest more into that?
The community already did expand Minecraft much further than I think Mojang ever would have. It's called Feed the Beast, and it's definitely not for everyone. Minecraft is bottled lightning and heaping more stuff onto it wouldn't necessarily improve it.

Mojang is not feeling the burning need to turn their success into a big corporate games-making machine, and whether people like their games or not, that's a rare thing. They *are* working on two games, but they're obviously super-intent on doing things their way. Throwing money at the solutions that Mojang is looking for... won't really fix those problems.

It's like suggesting that money is the only thing Valve needed to make Half-Life 3. Well, Valve could spend ungodly amounts of money on that game if they wanted to; maybe they've already done that and found it's not solving their development problems. This isn't the kind of business where loads of capital necessarily make a great game, especially when we're talking about indie games. There's an element of finesse to some kinds of game development that brute force wads of cash won't make happen.

Yea, but Notch the shyster got rich off of the game and the community didn't.

16. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 14:35 Verno

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:38:
no they still havent delivered on that or on many other promises (character upgrades, dungeons, towns, and so forth have only got the most minor upgrades in the past 2 years.. its pretty sad considering how much money flows into that company due to that game)

if you decide to play i strongly recommend http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1585216-thaumcraft-303-updated-122013/

that mod is easily 10x better and more well made than original minecraft itself.. combined with a few other mods, it actually becomes something of a real game

See I tried to say this in a previous thread and got a lot of flak for it. I like Minecraft but man, they really just throw everything at the wall, hope something sticks and move on to the next round. The community is totally driving that game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

15. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 13:38 Orphic Resonance

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 13:10:
I have a problem, because I'd much rather see it go into improving or expanding minecraft. Maybe doing minecraft 2. He's got his own company, why not re-invest more into that?
The community already did expand Minecraft much further than I think Mojang ever would have. It's called Feed the Beast, and it's definitely not for everyone. Minecraft is bottled lightning and heaping more stuff onto it wouldn't necessarily improve it.
But have they actually implemented full mod support yet like they promised? I haven't played minecraft in a while, but that was the status last time I checked, just partial mod support.

14. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 13:10 Dev

But have they actually implemented full mod support yet like they promised? I haven't played minecraft in a while, but that was the status last time I checked, just partial mod support.

13. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 09:09 Beamer

Maybe, but he decided not to fund psychonauts 2 after learning it would be more than a couple million.

Yeah, 9 times more than "a couple million."
And more than the original game earned.

Not sure how anyone can judge him negatively for that. Even if I had a few billion I doubt many games would be worth $18 million that I'd never see again.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 08:55 finga

Mojang is not feeling the burning need to turn their success into a big corporate games-making machine, and whether people like their games or not, that's a rare thing. They *are* working on two games, but they're obviously super-intent on doing things their way. Throwing money at the solutions that Mojang is looking for... won't really fix those problems.

It's like suggesting that money is the only thing Valve needed to make Half-Life 3. Well, Valve could spend ungodly amounts of money on that game if they wanted to; maybe they've already done that and found it's not solving their development problems. This isn't the kind of business where loads of capital necessarily make a great game, especially when we're talking about indie games. There's an element of finesse to some kinds of game development that brute force wads of cash won't make happen.

11. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 08:19 Golwar

For a developer who made and makes no games that I'm currently interested in, Notch has an excellent taste of games he wants to support.  

10. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 06:24 Cutter

Well I hope he's blowing at least some of it on coke and hookers!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 05:57 Sho

He used his money to _found_ his own company, how's that for investment?  

8. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 04:29 Dev

NKD wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:34:
But unlike you and me, he's wealthy enough to where he can not only buy games he wants, but ensure games he want come into existence in the first place.

It's the most logical thing for a very wealthy gamer to do, actually.
Maybe, but he decided not to fund psychonauts 2 after learning it would be more than a couple million.

finga wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:06:
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

If he wants to invest in games rather than in a stock market or in buying lavish crap, then why do you have a problem?

You think he randomly chose this? Read the post again. It wasn't random.
Sorry, poor word choice. I should have said arbitrarily. It seems random to me, but he's not doing it randomly.

7. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 00:34 NKD

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:47:
Notch:
There's other things to do with your money than randomly backing (or refusing to back) other games.

He loves games, and has more than enough money to buy any and all games that exist. But unlike you and me, he's wealthy enough to where he can not only buy games he wants, but ensure games he want come into existence in the first place.

It's the most logical thing for a very wealthy gamer to do, actually.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 14, 2013, 00:06 finga

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:47:
Notch:
There's other things to do with your money than randomly backing (or refusing to back) other games.
Thanks, Captain Obvious.

If he wants to invest in games rather than in a stock market or in buying lavish crap, then why do you have a problem?

You think he randomly chose this? Read the post again. It wasn't random.

5. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 13, 2013, 23:12 Wallshadows

It's a tarp!  

4. Re: Notch Backing Age of Wonders 3 Feb 13, 2013, 22:09 Bhruic

Never been a fan of Minecraft, but gotta give Notch credit on this one. AoW is one of my favourite series, so having a 3rd entry in the series (please don't suck!) should be great.  

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo