Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

PC Brütal Legend Nears

The Double Fine Action Microblog reveals that Brütal Legend is being prepared for release for PCs, confirming suspicions fuelled by recent discovery of a Steam database entry for the musical action/strategy game (thanks nin). Pre-purchases of the regular version of the game and a "Soundtrack Edition" are now being accepted on Steam for 25% off the normal prices, and word is the PC edition is a "shinier, bad-asser, heavy metal-er Brütal Legend." Steam reflects the following modest system requirements:

Minimum:

Processor:1.8 GHz dual core CPU
Memory:1 GB RAM
Graphics:256 MB GeForce 8800, Radeon 3850, or Intel HD 2000 Graphics
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:4 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection

Recommended:

Processor:Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz, or AMD Athlon 64 at 2.2 GHz
Memory:1 GB RAM
Graphics:512 MB GeForce 220, Radeon 4550, Intel HD 3000 Graphics
DirectX®:9.0c
Hard Drive:4 GB HD space
Sound:DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Other Requirements: Broadband Internet connection

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 23:48 Jerykk

Doesn't this game have a lot of licensed music? If so, it would be tricky for DF to own the IP because they'd have to pay licensing fees and go through a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 23:48 Dev

Redmask wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:41:
Right, I was asking if anyone happened to know which of those million things it was but oh well. I'll go check out some reviews on the console versions and see how it turned out.
I don't know. But here's some other methods to find out besides just asking here:
Search around on google and in news articles about the game. Use date ranges to limit it to recent hits.

Back DF's adventure game if you haven't already.
http://www.doublefine.com/dfa
That gives you private access to a private backer forum where Tim reads and often responds to posts. You could ask there.

Or perhaps its all under a NDA and no one will talk.

19. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 22:25 entr0py

My opinion of Brütal Legend after finishing it is that, like many of Tim Schafer's games, it's worth playing for the story and artistic merit even though the game-play isn't actually any fun. Really just a bunch of buttons you need to press before the game will show you the next cool thing.  

18. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 21:48 Bumpy

Cool. Playing this at the comfort of my PC will be nice. I support PC.  

17. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 21:41 Redmask

Dev wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:53:
nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:35:
Redmask wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:27:
I thought EA had distro rights on this?

They were the original publisher. Although if it didn't sell as well as they hoped (which was rumored), it's possible DF bought it back on the cheap, afterwards.

Or that EA didn't bother to license the PC rights, or that there was an exclusivity period, or that the contract said if they didn't bother with PC the rights for PC would go back to EA after a specified time, or that DF licensed the PC rights from EA.

Could be a million things. And since DF has had experience with how difficult it is to get back rights (psychonauts), they may well have started writing into contracts terms to help them get PC rights if a company doesn't bother with PC.

Right, I was asking if anyone happened to know which of those million things it was but oh well. I'll go check out some reviews on the console versions and see how it turned out.

16. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 21:30 Sepharo

I actually thought this was already on PC for some reason and was just wondering the other day why I didn't have it yet.  

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 13, 2013, 21:09 Lorcin

Hmm interesting - hated the RTS elements on console when I hit it and the game gathered dust until I sold my xbox.

Now it has mouse control!

But Jack Black is even more annoying than ever.

Wish they'd made it straight action and got someone like Corey Taylor to do the main voice.

14. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 13, 2013, 19:58 HorrorScope

Shhhh.

13. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 19:53 Dev

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:35:

They were the original publisher. Although if it didn't sell as well as they hoped (which was rumored), it's possible DF bought it back on the cheap, afterwards.

Or that EA didn't bother to license the PC rights, or that there was an exclusivity period, or that the contract said if they didn't bother with PC the rights for PC would go back to EA after a specified time, or that DF licensed the PC rights from EA.

Could be a million things. And since DF has had experience with how difficult it is to get back rights (psychonauts), they may well have started writing into contracts terms to help them get PC rights if a company doesn't bother with PC.

12. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 19:35 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 19:27 Redmask

10. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 19:25 saluk

Not having a ps3 or xbox, I have been waiting for this. I've been waiting since it was first announced and hoped it would come to the pc sooner.

Licensing was the issue, anytime you work with musicians and their labels you are dealing with a host of unreasonable people.

With SS2 released and BL finally on pc, I think I can call this week a win, even with the Aliens travesty.

9. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:41 Dev

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:49:
SirKnight wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
This game was pretty fun on the 360. It's been a long time since I last played it.

I was just going to say, isn't this like five years old? Is anyone waiting on a five year old game?

Creston
I think the point is at least partly putting something out there that can get some more sales and help fund the adventure game.

8. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:12 Grumpy Sod

PropheT wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:06:
There's a soundtrack edition of the game, although it doesn't really say what the soundtrack comes with...

They originally released the Tim Schafer written tracks as the soundtrack album, I'd imagine it's that.

7. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 17:06 PropheT

There's a soundtrack edition of the game, although it doesn't really say what the soundtrack comes with... I can't imagine it's the entire thing, since the game's soundtrack is huge and probably worth more than the cost of the game itself.

I liked this game a lot, but it's weird that it's coming out now. It's so old that I sold my original copy and re-bought it when I found it for $10 in a bargain bin a year ago.

6. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:49 Creston

SirKnight wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
This game was pretty fun on the 360. It's been a long time since I last played it.

I was just going to say, isn't this like five years old? Is anyone waiting on a five year old game?

Creston

5. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:45 Cutter

It was pretty funny. I'll probably grab it when it hits $5.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

4. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:42 Suckage

I'm giving this another shot.  

3. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:40 Parallax Abstraction

For $15, it's a pretty good deal. I thought this game had such a great idea and it was ruined by the flow-breaking RTS components. Maybe they're better when you have mouse control available.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube (Watch/Rate/Comment on my shows!)

2. Re: PC Brütal Legend Nears Feb 13, 2013, 16:01 SirKnight

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo