Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Patched

The Path of Exile Website has patch notes for a new version 0.10.1 update that's now live in the beta of Grinding Gears' action/RPG (thanks Wowbagger_TIP). The new version adds new features and content along with bug fixes and balance changes. Here are the patch notes:

Version 0.10.1
Features/Content:

• All skill gems and support gems have received new art.
  • The 3d artwork for many shields has been substantially updated and improved.
  • Overhauled most of the sound effects so that they use pitch and volume variations to avoid being repetitive.
  • Added new music for the Act Three boss fight.
  • Improved all of the Duelist's animations.
  • The Unique bow Death's Harp now has a particle effect for its custom art.
  • Updated and shrunk the visual size of Frenzy, Endurance and Power charges.
  • Added magic-only skeletons for the Map necro boss that can raise magic monsters.
  • Pressing the alt (or highlight) key in trade while hovering an item now says "item level" rather than "level" to make it clearer.
  • On-hit effects can now apply even if they deal no damage.
  • Renamed "Angel Kite Shield" to "Angelic Kite Shield".
  • Overhauled the zombie audio.
  • Improved blood effects.
  • Continued to incrementally improve the art, effects, environments and sound.

End-game Map Changes:

• Added 11 new types of Maps: Arsenal, Arcade, Ghetto, Promenade, Temple, Colonnade, Bazaar,
  • Crematorium, Precinct, Shipyard and Shrine.
  • Map progression now extends to area level 77.
  • Maps which had the same level topologies as other maps now have their own new layouts.
  • The Labyrinthine mod now provides a more consistent increase in maps and is comparable to the Massive mod on applicable maps.
  • Some existing maps have had their bosses changed or reworked.
  • Some recipes for upgrading maps produce a different map than they did previously.

Balance Changes:

• Stun Threshold Reduction now has diminishing returns when it exceeds 75%. It's still possible to build very effective stun characters, but they cannot permanently lock down the hardest of bosses.
  • Increased the non-percentage Armour values on item mods to be the same as Evasion.
  • Boss totems now do more damage with Spark.
  • Increased the damage that Perpetus deals with Ethereal Knives.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where monsters affected by the Energy Shield aura would get too much Energy Shield in multiplayer games.
  • Fixed a bug with where social status messages could wrap around incorrectly.
  • Fixed a bug where players could not right click offline players on the friends list.
  • Fixed a bug where the Stun Threshold Reduction on Mortem Morsu was not limited to just attacks by that weapon.
  • Fixed a server crash related to currency items.
  • Fixed a server crash that would occur involving Bear Traps.
  • If you have a full microtransaction stash and purchase an additional microtransaction, a new microtransaction tab will now be added. This currently only works if you are not logged into the game client at the time. The addition of microtransaction stashes while you are logged in will be fixed in a future patch.

If you like this patch, please feel free to support us!

Thanks again for the great feedback and support. We couldn't do it without you guys.

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:48 Orphic Resonance

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:17:
LgFriess wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:52:
The problem is the passive tree. Well, ok, no, the problem is the way combat works. There is no other way to survive besides maxing out HPs and resists for most characters. Stuff like a summoner can get away with not, but beyond those builds, any character that has to melee or has the potential to get hit has a virtual requirement to max the HP and resist nodes. So the whole point of having this massive passive tree that enables you to plan all sorts of wonderful builds goes out the window as you have to plan 95% of your build around getting to the resist/HP nodes. That doesn't make for fun character customization.

I agree this is definitely a problem later on in the game. Most of my builds revolve around shitloads of HP or ES because you can't really survive without it in the long term. Maybe they can look at putting more life on gear so people could take more damage nodes but the trouble there is balancing it out for both Hardcore and Softcore.

yep this is definitely an issue... and one of the problems with f2p games is the constant balancing/rebalancing/re-rebalancing/etc. so it will be interesting to see if it ever gets resolved in a satisfactory way

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:45 Verno

Bhruic wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:29:
Something I wish people had told me as a newbie, RGB linked in a white is a chromatic so don't discount white drops, they are still important later on for links and currency.

Yeah, I didn't know about that one right away either.

A good place to go for that info is the wiki:
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

Click on the "Vendor Recipes" and you'll get a list of all the stuff you can sell to vendors for non-standard amounts.

Something to watch out for on your high level chars - 6S items sell for 7 jeweler orbs (don't have the be linked). Sometimes you'll find the merchants actually selling them, and they sell them for a lot less than 7 jeweler orbs. Simply buy them, immediately resell them, and you come out quite a few orbs ahead.

Thanks for the heads up on that page, definitely helpful. Another tidbit I didn't know, the game is weighted to drop currency items slightly more to equal levels. This is where that perception "my new characters drops are way better than my level 60" comes from apparently. Later on when you start doing all the side quest shit and outpace the zone level, your currency drops seem to taper off. With a bit of Item Rarity on a few newbie items and a few quick Silverbranch/Poison Arrow runs to 20, I had a stack of Alchemy orbs and other stuff.

Also helpful on the wiki is the page with zones that have waypoints handy, I always forget that shit. This page with the list of quest rewards is nice too so you can make alts to get the skill gems you want or etc.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

22. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:30 LgFriess

Thanks for the economy advice Axis/Verno.

And you have some great points there Bruhnic. HPs and regen rule all at this point. There are interesting builds along the way but you better hit those HP nodes.

I'm hoping armor/shield chaos resistance gets some sort of tweak.

21. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:29 Bhruic

Something I wish people had told me as a newbie, RGB linked in a white is a chromatic so don't discount white drops, they are still important later on for links and currency.

Yeah, I didn't know about that one right away either.

A good place to go for that info is the wiki:
http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Path_of_Exile_Wiki

Click on the "Vendor Recipes" and you'll get a list of all the stuff you can sell to vendors for non-standard amounts.

Something to watch out for on your high level chars - 6S items sell for 7 jeweler orbs (don't have the be linked). Sometimes you'll find the merchants actually selling them, and they sell them for a lot less than 7 jeweler orbs. Simply buy them, immediately resell them, and you come out quite a few orbs ahead.

20. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:17 Verno

Loving this game so far.

There are some improvements needed... animations could be better for example.

I'm also sort of waiting for the economy to figure itself out. Or maybe I just need to play more to get a better feel for it (level 47 marauder, end of Act II cruel and various low level characters). I find myself holding onto a lot of yellows, trying to figure out if I should keep them or dump them. Most aren't worth a trade to other players I don't think, but I'm hoping level 50+ will bring more valuable trades. I'm already noticing better orb drops. And it's not like I've actually needed anything other then what has dropped or I've been able to purchase from a vendor in order to progress. I just want to unload this stuff from my stash without screwing myself.

BTW, Bavariian in game if anybody wants to team up! I generally solo but would gladly team up with any fellow bluesnews people.

It's down right now but someone pointed this site out to me the other day - POE Exchange and it's helpful as a baseline. The trouble right now is that there is no in-game facilitation for trading other than P2P, the official trading forum is a mess due to its nature and lack of an alternative. Someone told me they're looking at putting in some sort of Bazaar style interface but it's still in the planning stages. Also people tend to lowball you and upvalue their own stuff so always be cautious when trading stuff.

The problem is the passive tree. Well, ok, no, the problem is the way combat works. There is no other way to survive besides maxing out HPs and resists for most characters. Stuff like a summoner can get away with not, but beyond those builds, any character that has to melee or has the potential to get hit has a virtual requirement to max the HP and resist nodes. So the whole point of having this massive passive tree that enables you to plan all sorts of wonderful builds goes out the window as you have to plan 95% of your build around getting to the resist/HP nodes. That doesn't make for fun character customization.

I agree this is definitely a problem later on in the game. Most of my builds revolve around shitloads of HP or ES because you can't really survive without it in the long term. Maybe they can look at putting more life on gear so people could take more damage nodes but the trouble there is balancing it out for both Hardcore and Softcore.

19. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:12 Bhruic

I've actually changed my mind on this game - it's definitely not as good as my original impressions of it lead me to believe. That's not to say there's no chance they'll fix it up, but as it stands now, it's not a game I'll play anymore, and definitely not spend money on.

Then there's the fact that Chaos resist is so rare, making HPs even higher of a priority, because unless you go CI (not possible for the majority of builds), you're going to have a negative Chaos resist on the higher difficulties. And there are very, very few passives to deal with it. And Chaos resist on items is a quite rare mod.

Again, these complaints aren't ones they can't fix, but they definitely make it so I have little interest in playing. They've got the skeleton of a good game there, so hopefully they will. I recognize it's only in beta, so it's certainly a game that I'll give another chance, but not one I'll play now.

18. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:00 Axis

Loving this game so far.

I'm also sort of waiting for the economy to figure itself out. Or maybe I just need to play more to get a better feel for it (level 47 marauder, end of Act II cruel and various low level characters). I find myself holding onto a lot of yellows, trying to figure out if I should keep them or dump them. Most aren't worth a trade to other players I don't think, but I'm hoping level 50+ will bring more valuable trades. I'm already noticing better orb drops. And it's not like I've actually needed anything other then what has dropped or I've been able to purchase from a vendor in order to progress. I just want to unload this stuff from my stash without screwing myself.

BTW, Bavariian in game if anybody wants to team up! I generally solo but would gladly team up with any fellow bluesnews people.

I'm not at my gaming rig but I'll link a page or two that will make your lives much easier in PoE.

For buying items, most people will ask for offers, and I offer low (like orb of chance). When they come back with the obligatory 'no thanks' I ask them what they WANT, since most people do have a good idea of what they want for it -- they're just fishing for 'strike it gold' offers from folks who don't know better.

For selling items, if you really don't know what you want for it then just take what seems reasonable if someone pm's you an offer. The link I'll provide gives some amazing insight on the current economies currency-wise, and once you do a bit of bartering you'll have a better idea what to look for. FOTM and streams will create a lot of wants and price shifts. I'm totally not into that crap build-wise, but it totally helps to pay attention to it when you are deciding when to sell something.

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:52 LgFriess

Loving this game so far.

16. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:50 Axis

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:46:
Zoom wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:39:
I didnt have that much fun since Titan Quest + Immortal Throne ! And that says a lot.
Finally the maze-like passive skill tree is not so impressive after getting used to it, and the active skill build was IMHO more interesting in TQ/IT. Here the gem system sounds like a good idea but is quickly limited, and the skills lack the huge variety that was found in TQ. Otherwise the game is pretty well executed now, grim, intense, very dark in mood (especially the last act !), and musics are top notch (again, act 3 really shines).
There is an obvious missing act 4 i guess (and it goes a lot like TQ here, on many aspects), this will hopefully come later.
That last patch brought a bit more shine and IMHO it's already quite superior to Diablo 3, or otherwise put it's what D3 should have been.

I think Diablo 3 hits all the right notes on presentation but that's where it stops for me. Skills are very visceral and have impact, there is great feedback on taking and receiving damage, stuff like that. They have the benefit of an army of animators, modelers and programmers just to baby sit the visual experience and honestly it is really well done for the most part.

The trouble is, like a great looking bimbo, after you're done with messing around for awhile there's nothing under the surface. What reason do you have to make another Level 60 Demon Hunter? None. What does your do differently than anything else? Nothing, very limited distinct permutations of the skillsets in those games and an over reliance on primary stat.

That's where POE is at its strongest, builds offer a lot of individual customization. The way gear, the passive tree and skill gems work together is very reminiscent of an evolved Diablo 2 in many ways while Diablo 3 feels like playing an MMO mashup.

I do wish that GGG could afford a couple more modeler/animators though, games aren't all about the looks but POE could use a bit more spitshine IMHO.

I agree, but GGG have always been about putting the core of what makes a great ARPG together in a way not seen since D2 and adding some much needed innovation to the genre. They plan on making most of the 'bling' things you'll be able to purchase.

Which is perfect, since I want my gameplay #1 with no P2W aspect.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:46 Verno

I didnt have that much fun since Titan Quest + Immortal Throne ! And that says a lot.
Finally the maze-like passive skill tree is not so impressive after getting used to it, and the active skill build was IMHO more interesting in TQ/IT. Here the gem system sounds like a good idea but is quickly limited, and the skills lack the huge variety that was found in TQ. Otherwise the game is pretty well executed now, grim, intense, very dark in mood (especially the last act !), and musics are top notch (again, act 3 really shines).
There is an obvious missing act 4 i guess (and it goes a lot like TQ here, on many aspects), this will hopefully come later.
That last patch brought a bit more shine and IMHO it's already quite superior to Diablo 3, or otherwise put it's what D3 should have been.

I think Diablo 3 hits all the right notes on presentation but that's where it stops for me. Skills are very visceral and have impact, there is great feedback on taking and receiving damage, stuff like that. They have the benefit of an army of animators, modelers and programmers just to baby sit the visual experience and honestly it is really well done for the most part.

The trouble is, like a great looking bimbo, after you're done with messing around for awhile there's nothing under the surface. What reason do you have to make another Level 60 Demon Hunter? None. What does your do differently than anything else? Nothing, very limited distinct permutations of the skillsets in those games and an over reliance on primary stat.

That's where POE is at its strongest, builds offer a lot of individual customization. The way gear, the passive tree and skill gems work together is very reminiscent of an evolved Diablo 2 in many ways while Diablo 3 feels like playing an MMO mashup.

I do wish that GGG could afford a couple more modeler/animators though, games aren't all about the looks but POE could use a bit more spitshine IMHO.

14. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:44 ItBurn

Diablo 3 still does the killing waaay better. In PoE, it's kinda disconnected and bland.
I agree about the gems, not enough variety and the skills are kinda bland also.
With patches like this, it makes me hopeful that they'll fix these issues.

13. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:39 Zoom

12. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:32 AngelicPenguin

Axis wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:28:
Actually we're all better now, but ya I do LOVE elmo! And he... "loves" me!

Awesome! Here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9WiuJPnNA

11. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:29 Orphic Resonance

AngelicPenguin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:26:
Axis wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:59:
Nice try saving face Verno.

At least you finally admitted the truth in a round-about way despite knowing I was right all along about virtually everything I've bothered to post...

I think somebody needs a timeout. We'll watch your elmo videos after you behave.

yeh please give us some lessons on maturity

10. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:28 Axis

Actually we're all better now, but ya I do LOVE elmo! And he... "loves" me!  

Yours truly,

Axis

9. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:26 AngelicPenguin

Nice try saving face Verno.

At least you finally admitted the truth in a round-about way despite knowing I was right all along about virtually everything I've bothered to post...

I think somebody needs a timeout. We'll watch your elmo videos after you behave.

8. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:23 Axis

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:17:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:10:
I really like this game, so much better than Diablo 3.
Does it really have no gold?

However, yesterday when playing it I got the first bluescreen in 2 years.

There is no gold, it's entirely a barter system based on user valuation and in-game application of items. This is good for the games longevity, bad for trading because everyone thinks their apple is worth a horse. Some things have inherently more value (build completing uniques, GCBs, etc). One mistake most new players seem to make is using a lot of "currency" items like Orbs on low level items, I'd suggest hanging onto them for awhile. It's really easy to blow through a stack trying to link a low level item or get specific socket colors.

Can ya point out the 'uppity and hostile' parts please?

Also I'd be glad to inform you that yes, I was among the first if not the first person to say all the good things about PoE here on BN. This while a small group of brown newsers called me a troll for not saying equally great things about GW2 and D3 before they were released.

Nah I'm not going digging through old posts to e-fight. For the record I think you were right on D3, wrong on GW2 but I don't expect to agree on everything. If I was a dick about it, I apologize. Can we move on now though? It is kind of silly to be dragging baggage from entirely different topics into discussions months later.

Honestly, thank you Verno. That was much appreciated and I agree lets move on.

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:17 Verno

Muscular Beaver wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:10:

There is no gold, it's entirely a barter system based on user valuation and in-game application of items. This is good for the games longevity, bad for trading because everyone thinks their apple is worth a horse. Some things have inherently more value (build completing uniques, GCBs, etc). One mistake most new players seem to make is using a lot of "currency" items like Orbs on low level items, I'd suggest hanging onto them for awhile. It's really easy to blow through a stack trying to link a low level item or get specific socket colors.

Also I'd be glad to inform you that yes, I was among the first if not the first person to say all the good things about PoE here on BN. This while a small group of brown newsers called me a troll for not saying equally great things about GW2 and D3 before they were released.

Nah I'm not going digging through old posts to e-fight. For the record I think you were right on D3, wrong on GW2 but I don't expect to agree on everything. If I was a dick about it, I apologize. Can we move on now though? It is kind of silly to be dragging baggage from entirely different topics into discussions months later.

6. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:15 Axis

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:10:
Nice try saving face Verno

People were posting and talking about POE before you even registered here, you're the not first person to say good or bad things about it or show an interest. I didn't care for the game before, you get all uppity and hostile. I like what they've done with it since, you get all smug and ridiculous. In the adult world, I make up my own mind about games, I don't let some passive aggressive fanboy who bears a grudge over a months old disagreement do it for me

Also, I thought you had me on ignore, can ya do that again for me please...

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Path of Exile Patched Feb 13, 2013, 13:10 Muscular Beaver

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo