Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow

GOG.com now features a countdown that will hit zero around 6:00 am EST tomorrow, saying "System found." This is a confirmation of recent rumors that the online store for DRM-free games will soon offer System Shock 2, the highly regarded action/RPG sequel. This is covered by a Q&A on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talking with Guillaume Rambourg of GOG.com about the news, and with Stephen Kick of Night Dive, who explains how this small developer was able to secure the rights to work on re-releasing the game in this manner. There has also been speculation that development would also commence on a new installment in the series, but according to Kick, Night Dive's next project after preparing SS2 for GOG.com will be an original intellectual property.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

18. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 13:33 nin

jdreyer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:14:
I played this again a few years ago. Such a great game, with multiple ways to play to achieve objectives. Great atmosphere, too. It does look really dated though.

What mods are there for this? UI, graphics, & resolution could all use improvements, even though the core gameplay is still completely solid.

There was a graphic mod I tried (at work, don't have the name in front of me) but I could never get it to work right, and some textures (signs and such) were missing. I may just stick with vanilla...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 13:27 Acleacius

A pig just flew past my window!  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

16. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 13:14 jdreyer

I played this again a few years ago. Such a great game, with multiple ways to play to achieve objectives. Great atmosphere, too. It does look really dated though.

What mods are there for this? UI, graphics, & resolution could all use improvements, even though the core gameplay is still completely solid.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 12:54 Riker

Cool. Not gonna get my hopes up on an SS3, though.  

14. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 12:31 Zanderat1

I am stunned. I truly thought this would never happen! Way to go GOG!  

13. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 12:14 PropheT

I love this game, but for some reason when going back to it years later it made me so motion sick to play it that I couldn't last 5 minutes without wanting to hurl. I'm still tempted to try it again anyway :p  

12. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:51 Raptor

ItBurn wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:30:
I played the game back when it got released. I gave up soon after the first few monkey men. The controls were pretty bad, the graphics were meh and it felt kinda broken. Same thing happened with Deus Ex. I loved Human Revolution though. I didn't like Bioshock.

Aha, the "press button for cool shit to happen" gaming expectation before it was even normal.

SS2 had a fantastic atmosphere, the audio logs were eerie and really told the story and the enemies were scary as hell.

Even the default grunt with its "I don't really want to kill you, but I must" voices was plain sick.

Still remember combining some science and minding my own business when one of those damn things just yelled from behind me "Ruuunnn" and then continued to beat me to death.
Didn't have a chance since I was already 3 meters away from the desk by that time.

And of course Shodan is the best bad guygirl ever

11. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 SirKnight

I remember SS2, but I don't think I ever played it. It looks pretty interesting.

I just noticed GOG has Diakatana now. LOL!

10. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:44 avianflu

Hands down one of my fave games of all time.

A++ for the sense that you are exploring 2 large derelict spaceships where anything can be just around the corner.

SS1 was rather exceptional too, and its a shame it doesnt get more love.

On the other hand, I've played SS2 3 times, so there's really no need to play it again.

9. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 ItBurn

I played the game back when it got released. I gave up soon after the first few monkey men. The controls were pretty bad, the graphics were meh and it felt kinda broken. Same thing happened with Deus Ex. I loved Human Revolution though. I didn't like Bioshock.  

8. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:15 Armengar

the xwing series were the first games that made me want to spend serious money on my PC (I think it was a rage 3d with extra 2Mb RAM onboard) - then an orchid righteous 3D when they were released. Decent speakers and a decent joystick kit made them a joy to play.

I played xwing alliance at a lan party not too long ago (with xbox controllers) - it was still a hoot having a squadron of xwings take on a variety of ships (+ some capital ship to ship for good measure)

no idea what has happened to my CDs, I can only find alliance cds now. (the xwing CD had a great audio CD playing in the background)

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

7. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 11:09 sauron

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:03:
Looks like the interview mentions steam, too...I may be gifting the fuck out of that at xmas...

The guy from GOG says towards the end of the interview that the next targets for signature are several LucasArts games. TIE fighter would be so awesome.

I already have it (even the 3D accelerated version), but that game and XWing would be great on GOG.

Kittens!

6. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 10:15 Kajetan

What about System Shock 1? Any word on that?  

5. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 10:03 nin

Looks like the interview mentions steam, too...I may be gifting the fuck out of that at xmas...

4. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 09:57 sauron

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 09:54:
Yeah, I dug out my cd last fall when the patch showed up, but getting this online is a great thing.

Yep, I also have this currently installed, along with the new patch and the Rebirth high-poly model mod. It's great that the game will now be available for everyone that doesn't already own it. It's a classic.

Kittens!

3. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 09:54 nin

Yeah, I dug out my cd last fall when the patch showed up, but getting this online is a great thing.

2. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 09:50 wtf_man

Although I already have it, and the new patch... this is great.

If they can somehow untangle the licensing mess for an SS3, or an SS1 remake... that'd be awesome!

I'd love to see Ultima Underworld remakes too.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 10:14.

1. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 09:30 nin

Wow! I've not checked lately, but it used to be that that was one of their most requested games.

Don't forget the recent patch!

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo