Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow

GOG.com now features a countdown that will hit zero around 6:00 am EST tomorrow, saying "System found." This is a confirmation of recent rumors that the online store for DRM-free games will soon offer System Shock 2, the highly regarded action/RPG sequel. This is covered by a Q&A on Rock, Paper, Shotgun talking with Guillaume Rambourg of GOG.com about the news, and with Stephen Kick of Night Dive, who explains how this small developer was able to secure the rights to work on re-releasing the game in this manner. There has also been speculation that development would also commence on a new installment in the series, but according to Kick, Night Dive's next project after preparing SS2 for GOG.com will be an original intellectual property.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:46 nin

sauron wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:44:
nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:57:
Speaking of creepy! We need to get Undying on gog!

I still have that lying around somewhere. Couldn't finish it - too scary!

I agree. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to scary games, and that one was spoooooky!

edit: I'm assuming this is where you can vote, if you've not already.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:44 sauron

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:57:

I still have that lying around somewhere. Couldn't finish it - too scary!

Kittens!

36. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:41 noman

Rosco wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:09:
Sadly, SS1 is one game I never got a chance to enjoy. Would love to try it though if GOG can get this as well.

I'd count SS1 alongside the original DOOM as the greatest FPS ever.

SS1 however suffers from a control-interface that wasn't mouselook/WASD based. DOOM didn't have mouselook either, but its gameplay also didn't have enough knobs and controls, which were there in SS.

Compared to its sequel (SS2), System Shock had much much better level design, where the space station actually felt like a vast expansive space rather than the more restrictive maps of SS2. The overall quality was consistent throughout unlike SS2, which got increasingly less impressive in the last third of the game.

SS2 is still a great game, and I'll be buying a copy on GoG, but the first one was phenomenal.

There is a mod out now, which adds WASD/mouselook to System Shock. While not perfec, it's certainly a huge improvement on the original's interface.

Definitely get SS1 when it becomes available on GoG.

35. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:39 sauron

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:51:
It can't read my CD anymore. It's got that weird thing where it looks like moisture seeped into the CD, which makes it unreadable.

/sympathies. Well, now you can play it again!

And nin, the graphics mod you referred to in an earlier post was probably Reborn. It has some glitches (eg the wrench model vanishes) but the overall impact is excellent.

My main gripe with the game is the infinite respawns - wish I could turn them off. I know it adds to the tension but I already finished it more than once and at this point I'm just playing to take in details I missed previously.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 19:45.

Kittens!

34. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:19 saluk

Complaining about clunky SS2 controls and then praising SS1 in the next sentance? Come on Creston

SS2 is probably my favorite coop memory. It was obviously buggy and a couple times very frustrating as going through transitions tended to mess with our characters, but the RPG synergy worked REALLY well. It's fun to split up and try and accomplish your tasks in an efficient way.

And surprisingly, the scares don't really decrease the way you usually expect.

I wonder if the coop technical issues have been sorted out, I'd love to give it another go.

33. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:09 Rosco

Sadly, SS1 is one game I never got a chance to enjoy. Would love to try it though if GOG can get this as well.

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:53:
Kajetan wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:15:
What about System Shock 1? Any word on that?

There apparently is something called System Shock Portable, which is a "free" download (it's called abandonware, so hell, if you can find it, go for it.)

I actually even have my original System Shock box still. God I loved that game. (far more than I loved SS2, to be honest.)

L-l-l-l-look at you h-h-h-hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bones, running through my c-c-c-corridors.

Creston

Consoles are schwag.

32. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 19:07 Rosco

LOL! I have the original CD, the jewel case that it was in, and the box that it all came together in! I could never get this to run in XP or Vista. I got it to run in Win 7 with that latest unofficial patch, even though none of the in game videos would work it was still immensely great fun. I will certainly be in line to get this from GOG.

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:49:
Dammit, all you young whippersnappers and your GOGs! REAL GAMING MEN HAVE THE ORIGINAL SS2 CD STILL!

(it fails to install for me, but hey! AT LEAST I HAVE IT!!!)

Anyway, this is awesome.

Creston

Consoles are schwag.

31. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 17:35 Flatline

panbient wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:02:
Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
I think best atmosphere ever made in a game, but I found the game itself to always be a bit clunky. It was in many ways a step back from the original System Shock,

This.

SS2 was super awesome until you left the ships and entered The Many at which point it felt like Half Life / Xen all over again. Although stepping -out- of The Many and into the SS2 endgame stands as one of the absolute greatest videogame moments I've ever experienced.

Now if only we could get a proper updated version of the original System Shock, then I'd honestly be satisfied.

And no enemy in SS2 creeped me out quite the same as the Cortex Reavers in the original.

They were rushing by the time they did The Many, which is why the final fight against SHODAN can be beaten in 10 seconds if you saved some ICE picks.

But I agree, one of the best games ever. SS1 was great, but the control scheme was painful because of how old it was.

30. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 17:02 panbient

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:01:
I think best atmosphere ever made in a game, but I found the game itself to always be a bit clunky. It was in many ways a step back from the original System Shock,

This.

SS2 was super awesome until you left the ships and entered The Many at which point it felt like Half Life / Xen all over again. Although stepping -out- of The Many and into the SS2 endgame stands as one of the absolute greatest videogame moments I've ever experienced.

Now if only we could get a proper updated version of the original System Shock, then I'd honestly be satisfied.

And no enemy in SS2 creeped me out quite the same as the Cortex Reavers in the original.

29. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 16:55 Cutter

I still have the original laying around here somewhere. Goddamned great game!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

28. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 16:01 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:54:
Best... game... ever... made...

I think best atmosphere ever made in a game, but I found the game itself to always be a bit clunky. It was in many ways a step back from the original System Shock, I felt (even though SS2 added psionics, there were more ways to deal with things in System Shock, including being able to take incredible sniping shots from halfway across level 8 (the one with the open elevators) to take out those scary-ass robots,) and didn't quite have the same sense of urgency as the original did. (which someone once justifiably called "Die Hard on a Space Station.)

But holy shit was System Shock 2 scary. Those fucking creepy-ass spiders, and that hungry, almost growling, skittery noise they made... Brrrrr... :-shiver-:

Creston

27. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:57 nin

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:54:
nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:51:

What OS are you running? I installed it on Win7/64, and while I was a little surprised it worked, it did.

It can't read my CD anymore. It's got that weird thing where it looks like moisture seeped into the CD, which makes it unreadable.

Creston

Ah, that sucks! Well, at least you can play it again now!

I'd say it easily makes my top 10. There was something genuinely creepy about it...

26. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:54 Fantaz

25. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:54 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:51:

What OS are you running? I installed it on Win7/64, and while I was a little surprised it worked, it did.

Creston

24. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:53 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:15:
What about System Shock 1? Any word on that?

There apparently is something called System Shock Portable, which is a "free" download (it's called abandonware, so hell, if you can find it, go for it.)

I actually even have my original System Shock box still. God I loved that game. (far more than I loved SS2, to be honest.)

L-l-l-l-look at you h-h-h-hacker... a pathetic creature of meat and bones, running through my c-c-c-corridors.

Creston

23. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:51 nin

22. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:50 Creston

PropheT wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:14:
I love this game, but for some reason when going back to it years later it made me so motion sick to play it that I couldn't last 5 minutes without wanting to hurl. I'm still tempted to try it again anyway :p

I think it has an FOV of like... 50. Sadly...

Creston

21. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:49 Creston

Dammit, all you young whippersnappers and your GOGs! REAL GAMING MEN HAVE THE ORIGINAL SS2 CD STILL!

Anyway, this is awesome.

Creston

20. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 14:21 CrimsonPaw

Never played it (came out during my "I'm too poor to buy a computer" phase) but will probably see what all the hubb and bubb are about. If GOG releases Tie Fighter or X-Wing Alliance it will be a day/hour/minute 1 purchase for me, regardless of the price.  
~~Crim~~

19. Re: System Shock 2 on GOG.com Tomorrow Feb 13, 2013, 13:37 zombiefan

My second favorite game of all time; Half-Life (1) being my first. Still got my original SS2 CD too, but am really glad they are making this available online finally.

Still got my original X-wing, TIE and Rebel Alliance CD's too.

LucasArts is seriously fucked in the head, imho. With today's graphic capabilities, can you imagine how well a new X-wing/TIE game would sell? Like fucking hotcakes. Not just hotcakes...hotcakes that actually get down and blow you. You know, fucking hotcakes.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo