Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched

Gearbox Software Support offers details on a patch for the PC edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines that's now automatically available through Steam. This offers a number of single-player and multiplayer bug-fixes, as outlined in this change list:

General

• General user interface improvements.
  • Various performance improvements.
  • Fixed issue where a door may not function properly if a Xeno was killed while opening it.
  • Addressed issue where players could become stuck in a close encounter after killing a Lurker that had pounced them.
  • Fixed collision issue where bullets would not pass through certain open doorways.

• Fixed an issue related to clients incorrectly interrupting Xeno melee encounters.
  • Addressed an issue where doors would sometimes not open properly.
  • Addressed an exploit where players could melee while throwing a grenade or placing a claymore.
  • Fixed some collision detection issues that could result from a close encounter.
  • Prevented campaign pop-ups from appearing outside of campaign.

Campaign

• Fixed an issue that could prevent NPCs from getting on the elevator in the Sulaco.
  • NPCs no longer attempt to open doors while being welded.
  • Fixed issue where Raven could sometimes pass through welded door.
  • Implementing a message to warn players that campaign progress will be overwritten if they try to start an offline campaign game from within the co-op campaign UI.
  • Adjusted the distance between players before they're warped to the location of furthest player in co-op.
  • Fixed issue where torch would sometimes appear incorrectly to co-op clients.
  • Fixed issue where difficulty could sometimes become stuck incorrectly after switching modes.
  • Fixed issue where co-op player would not recover properly after being saved from a close encounter.
  • Fixed issue where Russian players could not drop into a co-op match in some missions.
  • Updated late-game close encounter moment to disable player input, which could cause them to become stuck.

Multiplayer

• Resolved issue where campaign Motion Tracker could incorrectly in multiplayer loadouts.
  • Fixed issue where clients would sometimes be invisible after spawning in No Hope in Hadleys.
  • Multiplayer teams are now randomized (parties excluded) if percentage difference in scores is greater than 15%
  • 'Switch Teams' option removed from the Pause menu.
  • Corrected issue where server and client could get out-of-sync when switching out of a power-up while firing.
  • Fixed issue where controller would vibrate during the scores screen if Rage ability was active upon match end.
  • Fixed issue where Cloak ability would not conceal the Lurker when walking or jogging.
  • Corrected bug where clients appeared to spawn outside of world before match start.
  • Removed placeholder text from appearing on scoreboard in certain situations.
  • Improved camera transition when Xeno enters a vent.
  • Fixed issue where Xenomorph HUD could sometimes appear in the wrong color.
  • Fixed issue with Spitter acid sometimes preventing players from deploying a Sentry Turret for a short while.
  • Spitter's "Acid Spray" now originates from the mouth.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Xenos could spawn in unplayable space.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Xeno players could lose functionality if warped to next area while in a vent.
  • Escape: Addressed issues where players would spawn with no weapon if they were the last Marine to die in Escape.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Cat-Like Reflexes ability would not properly complete in an Escape match.
  • Escape: Improved timing and placement of warp locations in Emergency Evac map.

View
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

52. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 17:43 Tumbler

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:23:
Honestly, after seeing the difference in quality between the "demo" and the "final" I will never order a gearbox product until there's a clear consensus on what the final game looks like.

Well that is pretty amazing. I don't remember watching any of that, no wonder people are upset.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 17:41 Yosemite Sam

Trevellian wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:18:
To Summarize:
It's not the best game ever, but it certainly deserves better than what it's being given by review sites that are looking for Call of Duty in Space and have no appreciation for the Aliens IP. In fact I am sure half of the reviewers who review it are to young to have even grown up with Aliens enough to even understand what the atmosphere should be like, and if they're playing on anything other than Ultimate Badass they're doing it wrong.

Heh, only thing NOT CoD about this game is the state of the game at release, at least CoD games are polished. It's laughable that you are defending this game with the notion that the reviewers are the ones who have no clue about Aliens atmosphere. A:CM has you fighting hordes of aliens 10 min into the game and has you fighting humans 30 mins into the experience, that's not Alien atmosphere, it's pure twitch shooter IE CoD to the core with ranking and uber weapon upgrades... and LOL f****** melee attacks.

PSN id PR345(PS3) PST Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

Looking for an active crew in GTA 5? I'm a Crew lieutenant for VCCM, adults only, 500+ members.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

50. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 17:38 netnerd85

Honestly, after seeing the difference in quality between the "demo" and the "final" I will never order a gearbox product until there's a clear consensus on what the final game looks like.

that is extremely shocking, absolutely disgusting.

49. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:54 nin

And I think the post mortem on it is going to be fascinating (if anyone alive will ever admit to having worked on it).

I'd LOVE to hear what happened, but the silence from gearbox so far is hardly surprising.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

48. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:46 Panickd

Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:51:
Again, you seem to think I'm saying it's a good game. I'm not. I'm just saying that there's clearly a review feeding frenzy going on. Whenever reviewers are tripping over themselves to demonstrate how bad something is it rarely turns out to be that bad.

Which doesn't mean it's good. It doesn't mean it's worth $60, or even $10. It just means it isn't going to eat your babies. Unless it's a pet landshark, that might eat your babies.

Well of course there is a review frenzy going on. It's the same frenzy that happens with every high profile release. Because for some reason every site out there seems to think that if they manage to get their review online a tenth of a second before anyone else they'll win a prize. And I get that you're not saying it's good, you're just saying "it can't as bad as all that". What I'm saying is that when even the game review sites that are well known to have their lips firmly glued to the asses of the development/publishing houses can't bring themselves to give a game above a "meh" rating, it probably is as bad as all that. Maybe they patch it into something worth playing (which is what actually happened to Homefront) in the future, but they have surely shot themselves in the foot releasing it in this state.

And maybe there is some fun to be had with it. I can't wait for the day me and some friends will be able to drop $10 total on it and have a few co-op laughs. And I think the post mortem on it is going to be fascinating (if anyone alive will ever admit to having worked on it).

47. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:35 Beamer

The stills people show as comparisons look very similar, in some cases better in Final.

This video is really a good indication, though. I wonder if they had a DX11 version out there and just had to cut it for either technical, time, or money reasons (all 3?) and direct port the 360 version instead. Then again, apparently the consoles struggle, so who knows?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:19 DangerDog

You can feel the rage swell if you go back and watch videos of Randy "pitchman" Pitchford showing off the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiemSUKczA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZuUQy_T2I4&NR=1&feature=endscreen

and of course you have exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWwyDrcywyE

I'm no lawyer but if you put "actual gameplay footage" in your advertisement isn't it fair to say that this could be considered bait and switch?

Even though it says "demo" in this image, the "demo" scene is what they've purported as actual in game footage.

http://i.imgur.com/kAyIhMi.jpg

44. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:13 Nighthawk

I didn't pick the game up, and from what I've seen I won't be, but didn't this game come out YESTERDAY? That would mean they pushed out a product that wasn't finished.
There's no excuse for this, and we as gamers need to stand up and stop buying crap like this.
Combined with this new "seasons pass" trend, and day 1 DLC's, enough is enough.

43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 16:08 siapnar

Thanks fellas (about Homefront)

I'll try the book

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

42. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:51 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:48:
Homefront was really mediocre overall, I thought the MP was merely ok and didn't really offer much new to the genre. The SP campaign was a train wreck and very derivative, the story didn't have a lot punch with me but I've never read the book.

It's one of those things where if you paid $5 it might seem decent but if you paid $60 I'm sure it was a let down for most. People claim otherwise but money definitely affects expectations. I'm sure I'll think this game is a decent B-movie level romp in a few months when it's $5 on Steam but if I paid $60 I would expect a lot more for my money.

Homefront just felt unfinished in regards to the SP. The story felt very disjointed and didn't feel like it had any sort of flow or resolution. Never even tried the MP.

41. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:51 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:47:
Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:04:
There ARE good reviews of this game - I've seen 3.

And how many of those are reviews that are disagreeing with other reviews either to A) drive more traffic to their site or B) ingratiate themselves with the publisher/developer? If even IGN (kings of game review circle jerking) couldn't manage to squeeze out at least a 7 on a title, it's pretty bad.

John Carter was another example of this. John Carter wasn't a good movie. But it wasn't the trainwreck it was made out to be, and its reviews trended upward over time. Still a bad, bland movie, but a bad marketing campaign combined with enormous hype via its budget made it a project people actively rooted to fail.

Whenever a movie critic opens a review of a movie noting the budget, they instantly lose all credibility. Nearly every review of John Carter did exactly that. I really don't give a flying monkey fart that it cost Disney a quarter billion dollars to make it. It still only cost me $8 to see it and you know what? It was worth the $8.

Colonial Marines, on the other hand, not worth $60. Not even close (admittedly I think few games are). A game that was clearly the work of the Gearbox interns does not warrant a triple-A release or a triple-A pricetag.

Now maybe they'll patch it into a "playable" state and bring it's quality level up, but if they could do that, why not just delay it a few months more and bring it out in that state to begin with? Either way though, the damage has been done.

That being said, I still look forward to it's inevitable $2 sale price during the next Steam sale.

Again, you seem to think I'm saying it's a good game. I'm not. I'm just saying that there's clearly a review feeding frenzy going on. Whenever reviewers are tripping over themselves to demonstrate how bad something is it rarely turns out to be that bad.

Which doesn't mean it's good. It doesn't mean it's worth $60, or even $10. It just means it isn't going to eat your babies. Unless it's a pet landshark, that might eat your babies.

-------------

40. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:49 Drayth

Darks wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:47:
Tumbler wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:58:
Watched the Giantbomb quicklook and while the game didn't look amazing I thought it looked acceptable. Maybe a point less than homefront. Homefront had a lot of the same issues I'm seeing in this game but that was a while ago so maybe this one is being judged more harshly.

Looking at Metacritic Homefront got a 70 and this game seems to be getting a 45-50. Seems like a 50-60 might be more fair but meh, can't say I really care one way or the other.

I thought I saw a comment on destructoid that the press had been shown a "demo" that shows gameplay that isn't in the game? Wasn't clear if he was saying they created a demo specifically to fool the press and then sold a totally different game? Or if it's just content that isn't in the full game?

This is not the first company to put up a tech demo and not have any of that in a game. Itís done all of the time. When will people stop over reactive when something is not in a game that you saw in a demo. Movies do the same thing all the time too. How many times have you watched a preview and never seen that scene in a movie? Lots!!

GB was just showing off the game and what it can do, this is NOT something that new or that they are trying to deceive the public about. Read the fine print, there are clauses in there about how this is review material and is subject to change.

I remember an early gameplay video for Halo 2 that was a huge, intricate sequence that never happens anywhere in the game.

edit- This..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax1nvd8DF1Q

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 14:55.

39. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:48 Verno

Homefront was really mediocre overall, I thought the MP was merely ok and didn't really offer much new to the genre. The SP campaign was a train wreck and very derivative, the story didn't have a lot punch with me but I've never read the book.

It's one of those things where if you paid $5 it might seem decent but if you paid $60 I'm sure it was a let down for most. People claim otherwise but money definitely affects expectations. I'm sure I'll think this game is a decent B-movie level romp in a few months when it's $5 on Steam but if I paid $60 I would expect a lot more for my money.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

38. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:47 Panickd

And how many of those are reviews that are disagreeing with other reviews either to A) drive more traffic to their site or B) ingratiate themselves with the publisher/developer? If even IGN (kings of game review circle jerking) couldn't manage to squeeze out at least a 7 on a title, it's pretty bad.

John Carter was another example of this. John Carter wasn't a good movie. But it wasn't the trainwreck it was made out to be, and its reviews trended upward over time. Still a bad, bland movie, but a bad marketing campaign combined with enormous hype via its budget made it a project people actively rooted to fail.

Whenever a movie critic opens a review of a movie noting the budget, they instantly lose all credibility. Nearly every review of John Carter did exactly that. I really don't give a flying monkey fart that it cost Disney a quarter billion dollars to make it. It still only cost me $8 to see it and you know what? It was worth the $8.

Colonial Marines, on the other hand, not worth $60. Not even close (admittedly I think few games are). A game that was clearly the work of the Gearbox interns does not warrant a triple-A release or a triple-A pricetag.

Now maybe they'll patch it into a "playable" state and bring it's quality level up, but if they could do that, why not just delay it a few months more and bring it out in that state to begin with? Either way though, the damage has been done.

That being said, I still look forward to it's inevitable $2 sale price during the next Steam sale.

37. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:32 SpectralMeat

siapnar wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:17:
Speaking of Homefront - somewhat off topic - it did get pretty mediocre reviews (by today's weird standards), but from what I've read the story seems to be really dark and immersive.

I saw a clip of the opening sequence which looks pretty damn intense.

Anyone played it? Thoughts?
I did play it and liked the game however I did not put much time into the single player, I was interested in the MP.
If you care for the story of the game read the book, it is really good!

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:19 vrok

The aliens are ridiculously slow and can't kill anything (rifle stocks are the aliens' great weakness apparently) even on ultimate badass, much like AvP 2010, so don't believe the apologists. Awful game.  

35. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:19 SimplyMonk

John Carter was another example of this. John Carter wasn't a good movie.

John Carter also suffered from the fact that the original books worked to define the genre and so many films since then have taken elements from them that the John Carter movie looked unoriginal and bland.

A:CM had too high of an expectation due to the movies and Gearbox's success with Borderlands. The franchise hasn't produced a solid game since the original AvP (although some of the arcade games were fun) and SEGA hasn't published anything redeemable since Bayonetta.

34. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:17 siapnar

Speaking of Homefront - somewhat off topic - it did get pretty mediocre reviews (by today's weird standards), but from what I've read the story seems to be really dark and immersive.

I saw a clip of the opening sequence which looks pretty damn intense.

Anyone played it? Thoughts?

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

33. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 14:04 Beamer

Panickd wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 13:52:
Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 10:56:
There's no denying that reviewers often get on bandwagons to see who can out-bad-review each other and products get unfairly slaughtered.

Maybe this is one of those cases. Maybe it's not a 3.5/10. Maybe it's more a 5 or 5.5.

The hyperbole from its developer and the illustriousness of its license kind of gave it that, though. Plus its glitchiness - this isn't a dull mediocre product it's a hysterical mediocre product. From the gifs and video clips, but that's all most of us will see.

Ummm.... no. Usually if a game gets "unfairly slaughtered", as you put it, there are a few reviewers out there who will do it justice and say what they really feel about it. I haven't seen a good review of this game from anyone yet and even the middling reviews are really struggling to find anything good that they can say to try and offset the reality of all that is wrong with this title ("hey the guns sound like they were taken from the movie, so that's something, right?"). This game is, by all accounts, a massive train wreck. No amount of pyrovision can change that.

Give it a few weeks. Whenever something like this happens it's a feeding frenzy of reviewers trying to outdo each other (good or bad), and it settles down after a while.

The bottom line is, given the hyperbole in all the reviews, it's unlikely this is as godawful as it's being called. Please note I'm not saying it's good, or even acceptable. Just saying this is a perfect storm situation where people really, really want to see this fail and are taking a lot of joy in that.

This is the same. Again, this is not a defense of the game. I haven't played it, I probably won't, and the clips I've seen are hysterically glitchy and look terrible. But people are throwing Homefront out there, and this is probably only slightly worse than Homefront. I've no problem believing that. But Homefront was a boring title not much hyped and it came and went without much fanfare (though it sold pretty solidly.) This is a huge license with a huge development time backed by a huge mouth. It's being judged against that as much as on its own merit.

Again, I'm sure the game is a glitchy mess. But people seem to be piling on now, rather than being fair. This isn't uncommon.

-------------

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo