Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched

Gearbox Software Support offers details on a patch for the PC edition of Aliens: Colonial Marines that's now automatically available through Steam. This offers a number of single-player and multiplayer bug-fixes, as outlined in this change list:

General

• General user interface improvements.
  • Various performance improvements.
  • Fixed issue where a door may not function properly if a Xeno was killed while opening it.
  • Addressed issue where players could become stuck in a close encounter after killing a Lurker that had pounced them.
  • Fixed collision issue where bullets would not pass through certain open doorways.

• Fixed an issue related to clients incorrectly interrupting Xeno melee encounters.
  • Addressed an issue where doors would sometimes not open properly.
  • Addressed an exploit where players could melee while throwing a grenade or placing a claymore.
  • Fixed some collision detection issues that could result from a close encounter.
  • Prevented campaign pop-ups from appearing outside of campaign.

Campaign

• Fixed an issue that could prevent NPCs from getting on the elevator in the Sulaco.
  • NPCs no longer attempt to open doors while being welded.
  • Fixed issue where Raven could sometimes pass through welded door.
  • Implementing a message to warn players that campaign progress will be overwritten if they try to start an offline campaign game from within the co-op campaign UI.
  • Adjusted the distance between players before they're warped to the location of furthest player in co-op.
  • Fixed issue where torch would sometimes appear incorrectly to co-op clients.
  • Fixed issue where difficulty could sometimes become stuck incorrectly after switching modes.
  • Fixed issue where co-op player would not recover properly after being saved from a close encounter.
  • Fixed issue where Russian players could not drop into a co-op match in some missions.
  • Updated late-game close encounter moment to disable player input, which could cause them to become stuck.

Multiplayer

• Resolved issue where campaign Motion Tracker could incorrectly in multiplayer loadouts.
  • Fixed issue where clients would sometimes be invisible after spawning in No Hope in Hadleys.
  • Multiplayer teams are now randomized (parties excluded) if percentage difference in scores is greater than 15%
  • 'Switch Teams' option removed from the Pause menu.
  • Corrected issue where server and client could get out-of-sync when switching out of a power-up while firing.
  • Fixed issue where controller would vibrate during the scores screen if Rage ability was active upon match end.
  • Fixed issue where Cloak ability would not conceal the Lurker when walking or jogging.
  • Corrected bug where clients appeared to spawn outside of world before match start.
  • Removed placeholder text from appearing on scoreboard in certain situations.
  • Improved camera transition when Xeno enters a vent.
  • Fixed issue where Xenomorph HUD could sometimes appear in the wrong color.
  • Fixed issue with Spitter acid sometimes preventing players from deploying a Sentry Turret for a short while.
  • Spitter's "Acid Spray" now originates from the mouth.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Xenos could spawn in unplayable space.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Xeno players could lose functionality if warped to next area while in a vent.
  • Escape: Addressed issues where players would spawn with no weapon if they were the last Marine to die in Escape.
  • Escape: Fixed issue where Cat-Like Reflexes ability would not properly complete in an Escape match.
  • Escape: Improved timing and placement of warp locations in Emergency Evac map.

View
112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

92. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 13:35 Beamer

Here's Far Cry 3 looking better at E3 than release.

Nowhere near as dramatic, but for those of you that don't believe that games often look better when they're around beta than after they've been polished...
Better graphics, better lighting, different animations, etc.

Here's the same thing with Oblivion.

Simple fact: as features get cut from games, graphical touches do, too. I have no clue how netnerd denies this. This is a separate argument from "Gearbox screwed us."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 11:48 eRe4s3r

Well as others have said, the postmortem is gonna be an interesting read.. if we ever get to read it.

I feel like you might actually be right because that certainly would explain a lot.. mhh, oh well.

In the end, t'is history. In 6 months nobody will talk about it anymore, but everyone will remember it as the worst Aliens game ever made, and most definitely not part of the canon.

I don't agree with that one by the way -> Gearbox clearly knows how to make polished

3 Words.. DUKE NUKEM FOREVER

Borderlands 2 is only borderline acceptable. It is not bad, or unpolished as such, but it is not mind blowing awesome either.

So yeah, next game by Gearbox is a 100% not buy for me. Wait and see, and all that.

90. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 11:38 Jivaro

Just noticed this....

"Spitter's "Acid Spray" now originates from the mouth."

....where the hell was it coming from before?

89. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 09:58 Beamer

Yeah, AvP was fun because you knew your place. You were a fragile meatbag that just happened to be armed to the teeth. The thing was you needed to be careful with that weaponry and use it well. One false step was death.

Aliens should kind of be meatbags, in that in the movies they somewhat resemble ants in that they'll willingly sacrifice themselves, but they're smart, too. They flank. They hide. They stalk. You can do so many things with that. Have some rush from the front, seeming like an easy kill, but actually pushing you into and distracting you from the ones flanking.

The first game isn't perfect by today's standards (at the very least the lack of a save ability made some levels incredibly tense but also incredibly annoying), but it got it right:
- Humans were loud, plentiful, noisy, violent, easy to kill but could kill anything easily, too
- Aliens were quick, quiet, plentiful, somewhat harder to kill but plenty needed to be killed, and could kill a human with one hit. 3 different vision modes to replicate different senses, and a high FOV to really make it feel fast and close to the wals
- Predators mostly sucked. Slow, stealthy, powerful weapons that weren't much fun, but always a surprise when you encountered one in SP (not that I remember them from the human side, where they seemed to die before I realized they were there, but I remember stalking them as aliens)

-------------

88. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 09:50 Verno

This CVG review represents pretty much what I think of the game after playing for 3 hours last night playing on Ult. Badass. It seems like they just didn't understand what makes Aliens great, they aren't cannon fodder for gung-ho Gears of War bros, they are cunning and deadly creatures in the film. From what I saw, this game fails at story pacing, has some bizarre inconsistencies contrasted with the movies and there are bugs/glitches galore. The AI work in this game is dreadful and definitely its weakest point, things just mindlessly run at the player directly and outside of prescripted events, there is no real flanking going on and most of the corridors are too small to accommodate it anyway. Whether the game is pretty or not is subjective, personally I found it pretty tame and bland with everything dialed up, like a console port where they forgot to toggle on some graphical options for the PC version.

Based on my time with it I can't recommend buying it for more than $10. We did some co-op which was "ok" in the sense that anything is more fun with friends but not really noteworthy in any way. The hour of multiplayer and two modes we checked out were glitchy and we constantly got booted out to the landing screen (stable computer, fios connection before anyone goes there). I can see it being a little nostalgia trip for people who like Aliens but the treatment of everything is likely to leave a sour taste in most fans mouthes.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

87. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 09:20 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 09:03:
They had the money to waste 6 years on this though. And DX10 features would at least have made it a really pretty .. bad shooter.. on pc at least ;p

Still I think you are right, except I don't think Gearbox was money starved, they just didn't give a damn about the PC version, like always.

I really, really don't believe this took 6 years because they had a lot of money.
Sega isn't exactly doing well, 6 years is a ridiculous time for any game, this game looks like one 6 years old, and Gearbox clearly knows how to make polished games that run well on consoles and look better on PCs.

I would place $50 on development having had stalled out and a skeleton crew working on this, at best, for most of those 6 years. That the project was put on hold due to financial issues and resumed from where it left off rather than restarted, again due to financial issues.

This is a project that looks cash starved, not cash strapped.

-------------

86. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 09:03 eRe4s3r

They had the money to waste 6 years on this though. And DX10 features would at least have made it a really pretty .. bad shooter.. on pc at least ;p

Still I think you are right, except I don't think Gearbox was money starved, they just didn't give a damn about the PC version, like always.

85. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 07:47 Beamer

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 01:15:
Indeed, they would never make animations that they don't need but they definitely make some that they don't use...

Though there is no excuse for removing actual graphic features again. If they are in the tech demo, the shaders were done, the maps made so that these features work right.

Removing them is completely absurd, especially if you could make them extra features for PC...

No. Again, no. This is so untrue.
For one, this wasn't a demo, it was a demonstration on a controlled environment showing a tiny part of the game.
Remember fucking Milo? When he was demonstrated for the Kinect launch? That's what this was the equivalent of!

And just because something is in the game doesn't mean it works. Features are cut last minute all the time because they just do not work. In this case there was a DX11 version. Gearbox trumpeted the DX11 version all the time.
Did they release the DX11 version?
NO!

IT WAS NOT FINISHED!
This demonstration, with all the fog, is almost definitely DX11. They had a running DX11 version. At some point they decided not to finish it and everything got downgraded.
This sounds like a cash-strapped production so odds are they simply did not have the cash to do a version not everyone could play so they cut it and never mentioned it to us.

This does not excuse what they did. I am not saying Gearbox didn't do something pretty underhanded and dishonest, nor am I saying anyone should buy this game, nor am I saying it isn't probably one of the worst AAA games of all time.
But this explains why we saw such a better version.

-------------

84. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 07:43 Beamer

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 14, 2013, 00:00:
Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 23:19:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 21:24:
Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:50:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:09:
Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:59:
Demo footage often looks better. The guys in that video are wrong to say otherwise. Part of optimizing a game is often cutting back on level of detail.

But this is insane.
What a complete load of shit.

Really?
Most games look better at E3 than they do when released. It depends on how close to release, but games demoed at E3 are often shown when not much is put in. It's easier to have higher polygon counts or higher textures when you haven't fully put the physics or scripting in. Or when you haven't optimized for a wider range of systems.

No one ever wants to reduce texture size or poly count. That's done throughout the process. You make a game, you figure out that you can't get it to run at the right frame rate, you reduce polygons.

Call it bullshit, but it's standard.

However, it being done to the degree shown here is insane. And, I don't know, but I assume that footage is all pretty recent. Not 2 E3s out but more like 6 months out, to the point that you have trouble figuring out how they rebuilt those levels in time...
So you think they make everything high detail and then butcher it for performance increases? lol, oh dear. Mate. No.

Show me some of the magical E3 games that are better. They (the E3 videos) may look better nowadays due to FALSE marketing but that's not how games are made.

This is why HD texture packs come out after the game is released.

You need to aim for a level of detail and keep performance in mind while developing, most of the time it's the Xbox 360. They aren't going to go beyond that by much. Why spend ALL the hours developing something high quality if it's 1) not support by the tech and 2) not going to be shipped.

What?
No, that IS how games are made.

Seriously?
This is how games are made:
1) A very low poly version is made. We're talking rectangular cubes on top of each other. This is placeholder just to get a feel for where things go
2) This is used to make an extremely poly model
3) That model is pared down to a low-mid poly model

Step 2 is hard and time consuming. Step 3 is less so, because you're basing it on Step 2. But it's typically easier to go from a model that's too high a poly count than to increase the poly count of a lower poly model. And, since you want your game to look as good as possible, when you're running through the pre-alpha and alpha stages you often are using higher poly models than you end up with. No optimization has been done, so it's what you're hoping you use. If you can't get the frame rate where you want it, you reduce. Occasionally you have overhead, and you increase, but most companies prefer to reduce, not increase, because most artists find it less time consuming to reduce polygons from models than increase.

Go to any 3d modelers desk and you'll likely see models for in-game assets that are exponentially higher in quality. Helps for bump/normal mapping, too.
Poly count in 3d models doesn't really matter these days (for detail or look of detail, obviously we aren't talking quake style models). Animations/textures/lighting is what it's all about. See the Alien videos. The models are pretty much the same.

Again, why make hi-res textures and animations just to remove them later? They don't.

Yes. You do.

95% of the time it's easier to downgrade quality than upgrade it. You design a level around really cool dynamic lighting, but you can't get the engine to handle it, so you cut it. Features get CUT in final months. They do not get added.

Ever.

Dynamic light is such a feature. If you can't get a decent frame rate you cut it. It doesn't really change gameplay, except in a game like Doom 3 or AvP, and it makes the game run smoother.
Poly count gets cut in levels.
Particles get cut, like in that exploding spaceship.
Animation gets the number of frames reduced, because that can be done with a mouse click.
Textures get reduced, because that can be done with a mouse click.

You're flat out wrong about this. No company goes into the final six months of a game and says "hey, Barry, we need you to take those 600x600 textures and completely redo them to be sharper and 1600x1600, and we need you to add dynamic lighting everywhere." But they do say "hey, Barry, our textures are slowing us down, we need you to reduce them (which is easy and doesn't require completely redoing them) and we need you to change most of the dynamic lighting to be static."

Want proof? Fine. Open Photoshop and create a 600x600 image. Now make it look like a sharp 1600x1600 image and tell me how long it takes you. Then reduce that to 600x600 and tell me how long it takes you. Which would a company prefer to be doing when they're in the final months of a product?

Honestly, just think about what the final months of a product are. It's never, ever, "add more!" it's always "don't have time for that, or to fix that, remove it!"

-------------

83. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 03:49 Fantaz

I'll wait for the patch that makes the game good...  

82. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 01:15 eRe4s3r

Indeed, they would never make animations that they don't need but they definitely make some that they don't use...

Though there is no excuse for removing actual graphic features again. If they are in the tech demo, the shaders were done, the maps made so that these features work right.

Removing them is completely absurd, especially if you could make them extra features for PC...

81. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 14, 2013, 00:00 netnerd85

Beamer wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 23:19:
Demo footage often looks better. The guys in that video are wrong to say otherwise. Part of optimizing a game is often cutting back on level of detail.

But this is insane.

Really?
Most games look better at E3 than they do when released. It depends on how close to release, but games demoed at E3 are often shown when not much is put in. It's easier to have higher polygon counts or higher textures when you haven't fully put the physics or scripting in. Or when you haven't optimized for a wider range of systems.

No one ever wants to reduce texture size or poly count. That's done throughout the process. You make a game, you figure out that you can't get it to run at the right frame rate, you reduce polygons.

However, it being done to the degree shown here is insane. And, I don't know, but I assume that footage is all pretty recent. Not 2 E3s out but more like 6 months out, to the point that you have trouble figuring out how they rebuilt those levels in time...
So you think they make everything high detail and then butcher it for performance increases? lol, oh dear. Mate. No.

Show me some of the magical E3 games that are better. They (the E3 videos) may look better nowadays due to FALSE marketing but that's not how games are made.

You need to aim for a level of detail and keep performance in mind while developing, most of the time it's the Xbox 360. They aren't going to go beyond that by much. Why spend ALL the hours developing something high quality if it's 1) not support by the tech and 2) not going to be shipped.

What?

Seriously?
1) A very low poly version is made. We're talking rectangular cubes on top of each other. This is placeholder just to get a feel for where things go

Step 2 is hard and time consuming. Step 3 is less so, because you're basing it on Step 2. But it's typically easier to go from a model that's too high a poly count than to increase the poly count of a lower poly model. And, since you want your game to look as good as possible, when you're running through the pre-alpha and alpha stages you often are using higher poly models than you end up with. No optimization has been done, so it's what you're hoping you use. If you can't get the frame rate where you want it, you reduce. Occasionally you have overhead, and you increase, but most companies prefer to reduce, not increase, because most artists find it less time consuming to reduce polygons from models than increase.

Go to any 3d modelers desk and you'll likely see models for in-game assets that are exponentially higher in quality. Helps for bump/normal mapping, too.
Poly count in 3d models doesn't really matter these days (for detail or look of detail, obviously we aren't talking quake style models). Animations/textures/lighting is what it's all about. See the Alien videos. The models are pretty much the same.

Again, why make hi-res textures and animations just to remove them later? They don't.

80. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 23:19 Beamer

But this is insane.

Really?

What?

Seriously?

-------------

79. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 23:15 Yosemite Sam

Heh I just noticed this patch *fix*

Spitter's "Acid Spray" now originates from the mouth.

LOL where was it originating from before the fix?
Same place as where this game originated from?
Somethings derriere.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

78. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 22:51 vrok

Did a full playthrough (except the intro part up until the space corridor falls apart, missed recording that) in singleplayer on ultimate badass in one sitting while streaming for friends if anyone is still interested in seeing how stupid the game is, haha. Even with approximately zero help from AI companions it's still very doable (read: too easy). Most deaths are just stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRbSZLkr_4

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2013, 03:17.

77. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 22:03 NegaDeath

It gets more interesting. This video of the unreleased WiiU version looks like it takes after the demo version. The docking corridor for sure looks like the demo version. And the video says its all in-game. This video was released in September.  

76. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 22:02 eRe4s3r

This is why you should only watch youtube first looks of SMALL channels to base opinion on if you haven't played the game ^^ All of them released videos when it released, some of COOP, some of SP on PC and all of them ground this game into dust.

And you can find out which channels you should skip. Like the ones that hyped this game in a huge PR video before release.....

Here is a good video for the guys who think this game doesn't totally suck.. (In MP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX7MPUTSMtg

If someone says the game is good, he or she is plain and simply trolling and lying.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 22:24.

75. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 22:01 DangerDog

bigspender wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 18:18:
Anyone else think this is the 80s Atari ET of 2013? This might even cause a video game crash haha

There most certainly will be a landfill full of unsold copies of this game from consoles.

74. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 21:58 DangerDog

MattyC wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:52:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:38:
nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:23:
Honestly, after seeing the difference in quality between the "demo" and the "final" I will never order a gearbox product until there's a clear consensus on what the final game looks like.

that is extremely shocking, absolutely disgusting.

Does it ever show anything 'shocking'? I moved on after they talked about minor lighting changes for 2 minutes. I thought the well lit glass tunnel looked better than the one from the demo anyway.

From reviews I have seen there doesn't seem to be any reason to get the game either way.

this video breaks it down a little bit more.

http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-a-lie-ns-colonial-marines-244882.phtml

granted this is all from the E3 Demo but this same footage was used in advertising and labeled as "100% in game footage".

bait and switch, simple as that.

73. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Patched Feb 13, 2013, 21:24 Lorcin

Good thing is this made DMC and Dead Space 3 look like Oscar winners in comparison.

Still it WILL make money - I saw people picking it up in the supermarket today and wanted to scream "NOOOO the aggregate score is only 42/100" then I remembered I was in Asda (UK arm of Walmart) and people would not understand the word "aggregate".

112 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo