Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Q&As

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 21:47 eRe4s3r

No I meant, it feels completely out of date as a phrase ^^

But yeah, it's even more hilarious that Gamasutra implies a EA suit leaks any information that was not 100% planned to be leaked...

Oh well, just wondering how people feel about the phrase really, I never use it. I feel it.. doesn't fit in our time.

The word they should have chosen is "leak" given that word is pretty modern and fits to the topic. Anyway, I have no real reason to ask or mention this, I just find using that phrase doesn't fit into a tech article.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 20:08 jacobvandy

That phrase has nothing to do with a kitchen or even food... It's common vernacular for "divulge something." So what they're really doing is implying they have some kind of scoop on precious information that people were dying to know, which I don't see here.  

7. Spills the beans Feb 13, 2013, 19:06 eRe4s3r

.. is that not a tiny bit outdated as a phrase? Why do writers put kitchen language in a TECH news article? To give it identity? To make it unique?

Anyway, just wondering. Not spilling any beans

6. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 16:56 Cutter

Unlike that clown I actually know of what I speak. That's been proven countless times around here.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 14:13 Orphic Resonance

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:43:
Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:50:
Everything he says tells me these net gen consoles aren't going to do well at all and they will certainly be the last consoles.

OK, Patcher.

puzzled for a sec.. but you mean Pachter..

and its entirely appropriate, especially if you throw in the modifier "wannabe"

4. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:50:
Everything he says tells me these net gen consoles aren't going to do well at all and they will certainly be the last consoles.

OK, Patcher.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 11:50 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 09:54 Beamer

Well, it just says "to have," not "to require." Steam has always-on connectivity, but it doesn't require it. It enjoys it, though, as it allows publishers to use Steamworks to really dive into how customers are playing their game. That's the kind of data a nerd like me lives for.

Also, why would you need to keep hundreds of games? I have hundreds of games on Steam. I don't "keep" them. I install them when I want them, uninstall them when I finish them, and possibly go back to them but, honestly, that's incredibly rare. 90% of games I'll never return to. 8% of that remainder are games like Civ that will live on my HDD. and that leaves maybe 2% of games I'll play through and actually go back to in a year or 5. These days that's even less common as I don't have enough time to play new stuff, let alone return to things I've played already.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Morning Q&As Feb 13, 2013, 09:41 Verno

Someone at EA with some sense? Regarding used games:

It's one of these classic double-edged swords. In one way the used game business has been critical for the health of the retail channel, and having a healthy retail channel is an important thing for us. The business will probably never be 100 percent digital. Bandwidths are a constraint, and will continue to be a constraint for many years to come, which hold back the ability to do full digital downloads of some games.

"So at the end of the day, it's storage capacity. Unless you've got a giant storage server in your house, keeping hundreds of games can tax your storage capacity. And so having a healthy retail channel out there like GameStop or Best Buy or others is important, and to the extent that used games is important to them, I think that's a positive.

"Would we like to sell everything at full price and not have a used game market? Sure. But I think the used game market's a little like any other kind of market where it creates liquidity. The fact is, that liquidity benefits us in some fashion. So if someone goes in and trades in a game, there's a good chance they're going to buy another one of our games. And so if there's a liquid market, I think that that's not a bad thing at all.

"I can't really comment on where the next generation boxes are going to be relative to used games. I will say that the trend in the business is to have that always-on connectivity and connect with a customer, and to the extent that the software identifies a certain customer is going to create some issues going down the road in the used game market. But I do believe that the consumer likes it, and it's been good for the retail channel."

The last bit about always on connectivity seems like a not so subtle hint about next gen console direction.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo