Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 14, 2013, 17:35 NegaDeath

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 20:55:
Solution: Be a parent and take phones/electronics away at night. Boom.

As a kid I was pretty fortunate, had computer (highly unheard of), phone line (for BBS), consoles, tv, etc all in my room. My father let me be pretty independent. As I got older I paid for everything myself as soon as I was able to. That being said, I was smart enough to turn the ringer off on the phone, turn tv off and not sleep with it on, quit playing games, and go to bed.

I don't even sleep with my cell on the same floor. My sleep is pretty damn important, a call/text can wait. My wife will sometimes sleep with the tv on - it bothers me to no end. I hate dreaming about what is on the tv. Esp if it is an infomercial.

I think us 70's and 80's kids grew up during the "sweet spot" when it comes to using tech. Knowledgeable enough to be productive with it and intuitive enough to learn new tech unlike previous generations, but not so wired in that we need to be staring at a screen 24/7.

That's my little theory anyways.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 13, 2013, 20:55 xXBatmanXx

Crisis: Teens have started sleep-texting.

Solution: Be a parent and take phones/electronics away at night. Boom.

As a kid I was pretty fortunate, had computer (highly unheard of), phone line (for BBS), consoles, tv, etc all in my room. My father let me be pretty independent. As I got older I paid for everything myself as soon as I was able to. That being said, I was smart enough to turn the ringer off on the phone, turn tv off and not sleep with it on, quit playing games, and go to bed.

I don't even sleep with my cell on the same floor. My sleep is pretty damn important, a call/text can wait. My wife will sometimes sleep with the tv on - it bothers me to no end. I hate dreaming about what is on the tv. Esp if it is an infomercial.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 13, 2013, 14:15 jdreyer

It seems like they'll offer smaller, more tailored bundles, which is an improvment, but yeah, not a la carte. Also, there's this:

Intel plans to stream these channels over the Internet, using set-top boxes powered by the company’s own processors, and would also make the service available on other devices, such as PCs and tablets. As The Verge reports, Huggers said Intel’s devices would have a “beautiful industrial design,” and would come equipped with a camera, which could recognize individual users and recommend things to watch. In addition to streaming live television, the device will support DVR-style content, on-demand shows and apps.

Because, yeah, that's just what I want: an always on camera in my living room that's connected to the internet. No way that will ever be abused. Nope.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 13, 2013, 09:48 Verno

So the Intel TV thing is just yet another Channels offering without a la carte? People can already stream using other devices, I don't see this thing offering anything new other than form factor.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo