Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Did you know that skunks can be active in the winter? I sure didn't, until today at least. The dogs were out as I made the coffee this morning when they began barking, something they don't usually do at the crack of dawn. I called them back in, but they were clearly agitated, and Hudson the wonder dog was in full-on war mode, barking at the back fence (apologies to sleeping neighbors) and resisting my recall. Then I caught a whiff of the skunk spray, and knew just what happened, but thankfully, it seems the skunk was safely in the other yard when my guys encountered him, because nobody actually got spray on them, a lucky outcome to be sure. After I got the dogs inside I spotted Mr. Smelly in front of the house, by far the biggest looking skunk I had ever seen (though much of that was likely winter coat), waddling down the street, clearly put off by his encounter with unbridled canine aggression. Hopefully he found he way back home without getting hit by a car.

Today is Ash Wednesday. I don't think it's supposed to be "happy" Ash Wednesday, so good luck to those fasting or doing other forms of penance.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: TNT Zombies: Level Pack.
Stories: Earth-Buzzing Asteroid Worth $195 Billion, Space Miners Say. Space miners?
IOC cuts wrestling from 2020 Olympics. Thanks Cutter.
Science: A quantum shell game that street hustlers would hate.
Missouri bill redefines science, gives equal time to Intelligent Design.
New case of SARS-like virus shows person-to-person transmission.
Media: Aliens Colonial Marines- All Singing, All Dancing. Ludicrous speed! Thanks Fantaz.
The One Thing to See on the East Coast Before You Die.
Jeremy Clarkson trapped in a toilet. Fame is so awesome.
Follow-up: Scientist Explains the Weird Shiny Thing on Mars. Thanks j.c.f.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2013, 12:25 Creston

1badmf wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 19:21:
Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 18:39:
A far better video from Videosoft than Jeremy Clarkson being his grumpy bitchy self: Michelle Jenneke!

(smoking hot girl in bikini. up to you whether that's NSFW or not.)

Creston

/day

nothing else is needed today, i'm going back to sleep. for all her shapely features, i think her best might be her megawatt smile. but, DAMN, is she tasty lookin', and not all skin'n bones like the top VS/SI models. all curvy and meaty and athletic, now THATs a perfect body.

Yep. She will very likely compete in Brazil in 2016 (no idea why she didn't compete in London), and once she goes to the beach there, forget about it. The internet will just detonate.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2013, 02:11 Rigs

So, uh, who here has watched the live-action Far Cry 3 series? Even though I love FC3 and play it often, I never watched it until today. I didn't think I'd like it. The guy that does Vaas, though, man, there's some talent. The guy you see in the game is the same in the series. Same actor. It's good stuff, a little morbid, yes? I'm watching it thinking, 'I'm going to hell for enjoying this'...

'I feel like I'm pissing on Hollywood!'

Haha, that's so bad...shows society has gotten almost as bad as the Romans. I expect to see gladiatorial arenas pop up here in the next 30 years...God help me, I'll be in the front row wearing a foam finger that says 'Spartacus!'...

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 19:21 1badmf

A far better video from Videosoft than Jeremy Clarkson being his grumpy bitchy self: Michelle Jenneke!

Creston

/day

nothing else is needed today, i'm going back to sleep. for all her shapely features, i think her best might be her megawatt smile. but, DAMN, is she tasty lookin', and not all skin'n bones like the top VS/SI models. all curvy and meaty and athletic, now THATs a perfect body.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 19:00 xXBatmanXx

Creston

yum.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 18:39 Creston

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 18:13 Creston

1badmf wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:57:
is it just a eurocentrism thing? i sorta suspected it when they cut baseball and softball, citing american dominance. but they never cut basketball for the first 50 or so years it was played; they actually like bball. wrestling's never been strong in most of continental europe either. that's just a travesty though. i mean, what were the cited reasons?

Baseball and softball were solely cut so that London wouldn't have to build two stadiums for a sport in which the British people have zero interest. They had admitted that fairly early on. Which is still a stupid reason, but at least you can kind of see the mentality behind it.

There is no reason for cutting wrestling. None. There is no real dominance in the sport that lasts beyond one or two games, it has plenty of great stories (albeit none as incredible as the Rulon Gardner story), it draws good crowds... The IOC is just filled with all these old fucking bags of waste that serve no purpose.

Creston

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 17:57 1badmf

is it just a eurocentrism thing? i sorta suspected it when they cut baseball and softball, citing american dominance. but they never cut basketball for the first 50 or so years it was played; they actually like bball. wrestling's never been strong in most of continental europe either. that's just a travesty though. i mean, what were the cited reasons?  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 17:54 NegaDeath

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 17:40:
And yeah, that boggles my mind they're cutting wrestling. It's been a mainstay of the Olympics since the get go! No, it's far more important they keep the really tough sports like golf, ping pong, and badminton! And clearly 75 different gymnastic competitions aren't enough! Yes, we need more chicks twirling ribbons and tossing balls around as they dance.

Saw this image earlier that sums up my thoughts exactly.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 17:40 Cutter

Yeah, cash is king, man. A man's credit is never as good as his cash. In god we trust, all others pay cash, etc. etc.

And yeah, that boggles my mind they're cutting wrestling. It's been a mainstay of the Olympics since the get go! No, it's far more important they keep the really tough sports like golf, ping pong, and badminton! And clearly 75 different gymnastic competitions aren't enough! Yes, we need more chicks twirling ribbons and tossing balls around as they dance.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: gonna have to check this place out Feb 13, 2013, 17:19 Orphic Resonance

Creston wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:59:
Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:38:
"Cynical people might think this is funny," Basso said at the time of River's death.

Actually, it's more likely 100% of people think it's fucking stupid that people are dying from eating at your restaurant.

Creston

some dude had a heart attack WHILE eating in the restaurant

and dont forget - fat asses that are over 350 lbs eat free

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 17:00 Creston

nin wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 16:58:
Yeah, there's plenty of skunks in the field across from my house. On clear winter nights, there's always that delicious skunk smell everywhere... I've thought of setting fire to that entire fucking field, but my luck knowing the little bastards would just move into my yard.

Fucking skunks. useless fucking critters. My wife hit one with her car a few years ago, and it took WEEKS to get that fucking stink off of it.

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these muthafuckin SKUNKS in that muthafuckin FIELD!"

*queue the montage of a angry, heavy white man going fucking nuts with a flamethrower, with Hells Bells blaring in the background.*

Creston

14. Re: gonna have to check this place out Feb 13, 2013, 16:59 Creston

Orphic Resonance wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:38:
"Cynical people might think this is funny," Basso said at the time of River's death.

Actually, it's more likely 100% of people think it's fucking stupid that people are dying from eating at your restaurant.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 16:58 nin

Yeah, there's plenty of skunks in the field across from my house. On clear winter nights, there's always that delicious skunk smell everywhere... I've thought of setting fire to that entire fucking field, but my luck knowing the little bastards would just move into my yard.

Fucking skunks. useless fucking critters. My wife hit one with her car a few years ago, and it took WEEKS to get that fucking stink off of it.

"Enough is enough! I have had it with these muthafuckin SKUNKS in that muthafuckin FIELD!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 16:56 Creston

In other news, the IOC continues to get more fucking retarded every single time we hear from them. I thought once that imbecile Rogge retired we might get a change in intelligence there, but sadly no such luck. Hey, let's cancel wrestling, which has only been one of the fucking founding sports of the Olympics. I marginally understood their reasons for canceling baseball and softball (London didn't want to build two stadiums it would have zero use for afterwards), but this is just fucking stupid.

Set those morons on fire.

Creston

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 13:31 nin

Honestly, it's probably more paranoia than anything on my part. But if someone maxes out a regular credit card, I still have my checking account to pay for things in the meantime, until it's straightened out. But if they do that with my debit card that deducts directly from my checking account, I could be royally screwed until it's straightened out, unless I want to dive into my savings account.

The odds of it happening are extremely low. But it never hurts to protect yourself. I've known a coworker who had to dispute a tip amount charged to a card, and you still hear about it happening from time to time. Similar to what Cutter said the other day, I just hit the ATM for $100 here and there, as needed.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 13:23 Hoop

Hey nin you posted a couple of days ago about paying mostly in cash for things as you were concerned about card swiping.
I think here we are the are the biggest users of cards for payment of any country, very little cash transactions. We often get used for test implementation of new payment methods being such a small isolated population. But what you said made me realise why most supermarkets, garages & shops of late have recently moved to having card machines out in front of the customer. It never dawned on me until reading your post that this is happening so the card is never handed over risking liability or suspicion of card swiping.
Anyway yeah it all makes sense now.

Um .. Behind you...

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 12:56 nin

Is it Friday yet?

Fuck, I wish...not a great work week here.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 12:23 Hoop

What a pissed Skunk may look like.
http://goo.gl/oxQ2P

Is it Friday yet?

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 12:49.

Um .. Behind you...

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 12:16  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 12:06:
Same with my rotty.

I Googled skunks this morning to see how unusual it was to see them active in winter. The funniest thing I saw in my reading is that apparently only two creatures in nature willingly go after skunks: Great horned owls, as they apparently have little to no sense of smell, and dogs, because as the Wikipedia put it, they are "reckless predators whose attacks fail once they are sprayed."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 13, 2013, 12:06 Cutter

Jivaro wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 11:07:
My family had an Irish Setter when I was a kid. She was a fun dog with a great disposition...but she was dumb as a dumb gets when it comes to wild animals. Porcupines? Yeah, we pulled MANY a quill from her nose and paws. She is to this day still the only dog I have ever known that got chased and bitten by a possum. Skunks...well they apparently held a special place in her heart. It was like she LIKED being sprayed. She would run up to the hind quarters of a skunk and start sniffing, and then when the skunk propped itself up on it's front two legs she would start running around in circles excitedly as if to say "YAY!! SPRAY ME! SPRAY ME!!" And then the skunk would oblige her. Like 6 times a year or more. The first couple of times we tried to clean her up a bit, after that we just gave up.

Same with my rotty. I don't know how me manged it but it was like he was going out of his way to fucking find them. He's dissapear, then show up a while later whimpering and reeking of skunk spray and I'd be all like "Berkely, you motherfucker!" and drag him into the backyard for tomato baths and repeated shampoos. Neither one of us was too happy about it.

And its funny Mash mentions bears. I've seen several in my wilderness adventures over the years but never close enough to be a threat. Except one time when one wandered through our campsite one night. Strangest damn thing, he just sort of snuffled around for a minute, checked us out and mosied off back into the bush. Almost shat my pants! And we did not go to sleep until the dawn.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo