Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 20:54 netnerd85

NKD wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 14:35:
Creston's take on things usually has me pegging him as a manic-depressive who has gone off his meds, but he's right on this one.
lol, so that explains it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 16:40 BazzaLB

Kickstarter fatigue doesn't seem to have affected Dreamfall Chapters. What a load of crap.  
Lurking on Blues since mid nineties

17. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 14:35 NKD

Creston's take on things usually has me pegging him as a manic-depressive who has gone off his meds, but he's right on this one.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

16. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 09:22 Cutter

Suck it up buttercup. Put on your big boy pants and stop crying.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 09:15 Orphic Resonance

pity pity pity pity.. oh poor poor baby

what a fucking chump

14. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 05:22 eRe4s3r

Totally agree with you Creston...

There is no fatigue, there is just a very limited amount of really interesting projects so far. Dreamfall is the first one this year I even took note of... will fund that once they got paypal up.

13. Re: etc., etc. Feb 13, 2013, 02:11 jdreyer

@Creston, yeah, I didn't want to go that negative, but I can't dispute a word of what you said.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

12. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:55 Sepharo

That's the post I'm too lazy to write Creston.

Reading that interview kind of pissed me off. He approached Kickstarter as if it was free money and now derides it as a lottery. People just weren't interested and then you sabotaged it.

11. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:48 Creston

For fuck's sake Chris Taylor, open your fucking eyes. Kickstarter fatigue? This game got more in five days than you did in the entire Wildman kickstarter. Man, those gamers sure are fatigued, aren't they?

Every single interview with the guy, he's whining that "my numbers are off by an order of magnitude (when compared to Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Eternity, Space Citizen, etc,)" and how he was already planning on "spending the stretch goal money" from day one, and never, ever, EVER does he seem to have a clue that it's because:

A) You are Chris Taylor, and other than Total Annihilation / Supcom, nothing you have made resonates with gamers the way those other developers / projects did.

B) Every single one of those projects is a nostalgia kickstarter, where gamers know full well that Kickstarter is the ONLY way they will EVER get to play a game like that (the ones they kickstarted) ever again.

C) You did a Kickstarter for a weird-ass RTS/ARPG/MOBA hybrid that nobody understood, AND you made it about cavemen, which is about as uninteresting a setting as is probably possible to make.

D) A few days after your Kickstarter began, you fired your entire company, and started talking about how the Kickstarter was the only hope you had left of staying afloat, to be followed about a week later by admissions that "Even if we get the 1.1 million, I have no idea how we're going to deliver Wildman." Before the firing, Wildman had made 300K in a few days. After that, it drizzled down to almost nothing.

E) And then near the end, you started talking about how you had people interested in funding the game, but only if you got the KS money already. So yeah, that is EXACTLY what people who fund Kickstarter games want: A publisher to interfere and fuck up a game! Because we can't get that anywhere else!

F) You never even waited for the final 72 hours to see how "Fatigued" people really were.

But hey, keep deluding yourself. You're absolutely right, Chris; Wildman was a fucking GREAT game, and at any other time, it would probably have made 29 million dollars on day one! You ran the perfect Kickstarter campaign.

"People had spent a lot of money on other Kickstarters and were waiting for those games to arrive,"

Funny how you know how "people" were planning on spending their money. Had you kickstarted something that, I don't know, people were actually INTERESTED IN PLAYING, you might have gotten quite a bit more money. In any case, like you said, there is no free lunch. The gaming industry is doomed, because Chris Taylor couldn't get a free one million dollars to make a weird game nobody was waiting for. Rolleyes

Creston

10. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:38 nin

I'm not sure I agree with 2, but I totally agree with 3 and 4. It's kind of a catch 22: As a KS supporter, you hope the people you're backing are honest in what they can accomplish. But Chris was almost too honest. I didn't follow every update, but I believe he said (based on others comments here) that even IF they made their goal, they still weren't positive they could pull it off? Between that, the general murky way the game was presented, and the layoffs, it's no surprise people didn't hop on board.

I'm all for honesty, don't get me wrong. And I certainly appreciate it when it's potentially my and others money we're talking about. But based on what was said...

Hopefully the reason he halted the KS is a publisher either stepped in with money, or a project to keep them afloat for now. As I said before, I feel bad for Chris and everyone at GPS, both current and former. I totally see his enthusiasm and love of gaming (it's contagious!), and it hurts when things don't pan out. But the project could have been presented better, and IMO, it shouldn't have been launched on the eve of layoffs.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

9. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:33 jdreyer

PropheT wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 22:40:
Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:50:
But then they did Demigod and Space Siege and that was all she wrote.

What was wrong with Demigod? I thought it was pretty decent.

Besides, didn't they get something like $500k on the kickstarter before it was canceled? That isn't exactly something to sneeze at, I just think their expectation of $1.1m was a little unreasonable. I mean, Child's Play raised $5 million last year; they were asking for a solid 20% of what helping little kids with cancer was able to raise from gamers last year, and then they're upset that it didn't happen. The thing about successful kickstarters so far is that they didn't shoot for $1.1 million, they shot for something real and then were ecstatic when the results shot to that unreal point.

Well, I think he started off too optimistically. He saw project Eternity make $4m after setting a goal of 1.1, and thought he might be able to replicate part of that. Thing is, Project Eternity made all that money on the nostalgia of gamers wanting an old-school party-based RPG, and exploded with the involvement of Obsidian and Chris Avellone. Chris Taylor would have made his funding goal if he had played on nostalgia too. Planetary Annihilation made $2.2m after all. But there's no nostalgia for Wildman.

Chris could have made $1.1 easily for Kings and Castles, maybe even $2m, but he claims it will cost $5m to finish it, so that was out of the question. SupCom 1 & 2 cost about $10m each to make, so I don't doubt his estimates. Hindsight is always 20/20, but if he could have funded K & C for $1.1, and gotten other publishers to pitch in cash if he made his goal (since the successful KS would have shown how much interest there was), maybe that would have put GPG on track. I dunno. I just think he could have gotten a lot more interest in a KS that played off the goodwill that exists toward his beloved franchises instead of something that he'd never done before.

8. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:29 mag

For me... there actually is some kickstarter fatigue. I threw in for a number of projects, and now I'm waiting for results before I throw in any more. Though the Longest Journey kickstarter is pulling me back in.

But Wildman, yeah. Just didn't seem like a game I wanted to play.

7. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:16 jdreyer

As much as I've supported Chris on this site, I'll say a few things:

1. It was not Kickstarter fatigue. If that had any effect, it was minuscule.

2. It was not the post Christmas lack of funds. If that had any effect, it was minuscule.

3. Wildman was simply not a compelling pitch. Who knows, as time went on, it got more interesting, and may have turned out to be pretty cool. But as a sales pitch, it did not grab people's interest. And I say that as someone who supported the KS.

4. All the drama destroyed people's confidence in whether you could deliver. To ask for a $1m on KS, you need to show that you are rock solid in your commitment to getting the project done.

I really hope CT pulls GPG out of the flames and keeps making good games. He makes great games and has more in him to make, but this was simply the wrong project.

6. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 23:14 netnerd85

I know everyone in the industry. They didn't help me. It's about whether you have a blockbuster that can ship 10 million units.

Hard truth

5. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 22:40 PropheT

Agent.X7 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 21:50:
But then they did Demigod and Space Siege and that was all she wrote.

What was wrong with Demigod? I thought it was pretty decent.

Besides, didn't they get something like $500k on the kickstarter before it was canceled? That isn't exactly something to sneeze at, I just think their expectation of $1.1m was a little unreasonable. I mean, Child's Play raised $5 million last year; they were asking for a solid 20% of what helping little kids with cancer was able to raise from gamers last year, and then they're upset that it didn't happen. The thing about successful kickstarters so far is that they didn't shoot for $1.1 million, they shot for something real and then were ecstatic when the results shot to that unreal point.

4. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 21:50 Agent.X7

Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 = Good. Sup COm I guess was good, not my cup of tea. But then they did Demigod and Space Siege and that was all she wrote. It's not that people have Kickstarter fatigue, it's that they have GPG fatigue.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 21:36 killer_roach

ASeven wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 20:24:
Kickstarter fatigue? More like your terrible behaviour throughout the ks campaign, Chris. You managed to drive many away.

Beyond that, the money's there for projects that people want.

Wildman... not so much.

I've enjoyed a few of GPG's games in the past, but Wildman gave me a feeling of "run away, and quickly".

2. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 20:27 nin

ASeven wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 20:24:
Kickstarter fatigue? More like your terrible behaviour throughout the ks campaign, Chris. You managed to drive many away.

Pretty much that exactly. He started a KS, and then laid off people. That doesn't instill confidence.

If he wants to blame anyone, he needs to look in the mirror first.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: etc., etc. Feb 12, 2013, 20:24 ASeven

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo