Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines

SEGA announces that Aliens: Colonial Marines is now available worldwide, offering a new first-person shooter set in the Aliens sci-fi setting for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3, with a WiiU edition coming at some future date. Here's the official launch trailer for the game, and here's word:

SEGA® of America, Inc., SEGA® Europe Ltd., Gearbox Software and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products® today announced that its highly buzzed-about blockbuster Aliens™: Colonial Marines video game is now available on store shelves across the globe for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows® PC. A release date for the announced Wii U™ version will be revealed at a later time.

Pitting players against the universe’s deadliest killing machine, the Xenomorph, Aliens: Colonial Marines is the official video game continuation to one of Sci-Fi’s most renowned movie franchises. As the authentic addition to the ALIENS canon, the game’s stunning visuals and adrenaline pumping action will deliver a breathtakingly immersive four-player drop-in drop-out cooperative campaign and four expansive competitive multiplayer modes – Escape, Team Deathmath, Survivor and Extermination.

The critical reception for the game so far has been pretty negative, and Eurogamer notes a this tweet and this one from sleuth superannuation pointing to this post from last year that he disregarded at the time. This includes a comment from someone claiming to be an ex-developer on the project saying at the time development had "been a total train wreck," and that Gearbox was only developing the multiplayer portion of a game primarily designed by TimeGate Studios.

View
172 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

92. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:39 netnerd85

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:25:
Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:55:
It was supposed to be a PS2 game, and that game was canceled with all work destroyed half a decade before Sega or Gearbox got involved.

This is why some think you troll - you seem to try to get every fact wrong.

PS1 PS2 same fucking thing, were you there when they destroyed the work? Do you work for Sega? Why are you so defensive anytime someone even says the slightest even remotely negative thing about a publisher or developer? FFS Beamer you're like a walking shill for every publisher in the industry.

I've actually seen PS2 titles that look better than any trailer of this game now that I think of it.
PS1 and PS2 are very different. No PS2 game looks better than any of the trailers. If you really think so, back it up with proof. Not defending the game, just tired of people like you spreading lies.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

91. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:34 Creston

I've actually found something quite redeemable about this game. Look at the trailer Blue linked above. Now look at the color and the font of the "CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM" bit.

It's the exact same look, color and font as what's used in XCOM!

See? It's not ALL bad!

Creston

90. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:31 Shataan

Ya know what Randy should have said? "We did our best with what we had to work with....and we hope the Fans like the game.". But his inner rock star got the best of him. And not forcing an as scam 3rd POV Aliens view would have helped as well. We pay good money for a game....not for any ego trippers.  

89. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:29 Creston

Shataan wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 13:36:
I feel as bad as Pitchford felt as he was hyping the crap out of this game to push sales..... knowing it wasn't exactly how he was hyping it to be. Maybe had he shot his canon off a little less?

Asking Randy Pitchford to keep his yap shut is like asking the sun to stop shining...

I think he's trying to become the next Peter Moleyeneneneyyxyxuxuxs.

Creston

88. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:25 RollinThundr

Beamer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:55:
It was supposed to be a PS2 game, and that game was canceled with all work destroyed half a decade before Sega or Gearbox got involved.

PS1 PS2 same fucking thing, were you there when they destroyed the work? Do you work for Sega? Why are you so defensive anytime someone even says the slightest even remotely negative thing about a publisher or developer? FFS Beamer you're like a walking shill for every publisher in the industry.

I've actually seen PS2 titles that look better than any trailer of this game now that I think of it.

87. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:25 netnerd85

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:18:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:04:
When all is said and done, Randy Pitchford can go eat a bag of dicks for praising this as the second coming of Christ.
Not much different from when Duke Nukem was coming out. I used to respect him but he became just another PR person these days. Don't believe a word he says.
Duke Nukem Forever was awesome though

The animations in Aliens do look really horrible though. I can handle bad or low res textures but animations must be fluid!

86. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:22 Beamer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:18:
When all is said and done, Randy Pitchford can go eat a bag of dicks for praising this as the second coming of Christ.
Not much different from when Duke Nukem was coming out. I used to respect him but he became just another PR person these days. Don't believe a word he says.

The whole situation is rough, though. I mean, he's the head of the studio. People repeatedly ask him about games. Is he supposed to say "yeah, well, it's actually not that good, I would advise you not to buy it." No one would ever give him money to make another game. Should he charge less for a game because it's bad? It's impossible to budget, then. Should he not talk? Then everyone knows the game is bad and, again, some of that blame is put on his shoulders for sending obvious indicators of his belief in the product.

The clear solution is "don't make a bad game," but if it was that easy no one would ever make a bad game. Hell, plenty of time people are so close to it, having made the decisions themselves, that they're not even aware of how bad it is.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

85. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:18 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

84. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 16:04 Wallshadows

Just to add some context to the .gif that's making rounds on the internet where an Alien herp derps around like an idiot, the concept is an Alien which only reacts to sound and wanders around trying to find you based on your footsteps.

It's kind of neat and one of the only kind of 'tension' I've encountered so far and, in spite of the many flaws which could fill a barn, the Hadley's Hope area is surprisingly well done which gives you a glimpse to what this game could have been before sucking you back in to realizing everything else is a resounding 'meh'.

I've played worse and I intend to beat the campaign but that'll likely be it. If we were still back in the mod-friendly era of PC gaming, I would say there is a lot of potential for the community to work out a proper experience but instead, we're stuck with what we got.

83. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:55 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

82. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:54 Panickd

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:27:
Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 13:32:
Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:56:
Eh I don't know why some of you take so much pleasure in this, people could lose their jobs and no one likes a crappy game. I'd much rather be proven wrong and have a cool Aliens game to play

Are you supposed to like people that rip other people off? How odd. That's not how it works for most people. Make a shitty product you deserve to be out of a job. No one - except you and netnerd it seems - is going to shed a single tear if that happens.

Ripped off? That would imply they didn't get what they paid for but they did. There were countless previews and features. They got exactly what was advertised. Lots of people didn't seem to like it then so they didn't buy it. Anyone that buys it get's what they bought, there is no "rip off". It's like saying you got ripped off going to the movies, you saw the trailer, you paid to see the full thing, just because it sucks doesn't mean anything. Don't go and see the next film, easy.

As for shedding tears. No. Have no plans on buying it.

Did you buy it Cutter?

I think he was saying that the game is a rip off because it was released by a developer and publisher who had full knowledge that it sucked and wasn't ready but let it out anyway because it was heavily anticipated (i.e. they made a cash grab). Just because you get something in exchange for your money doesn't mean you "got what you paid for".

81. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:48 RollinThundr

1AngryGamer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:36:
Xero wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:20:
I'm rather surprised by it's reception. I was one that was defending it's graphics whenever the crappy trailers hit and people didn't seem to realize it was from the console versions. But, graphics don't always make the game clearly and if they failed miserable on the gameplay, then it's their own downfall. Can't defend that.

Defending its graphics? More like graphical glitches. It looks terrible.

I don't know what people were expecting along the lines of visuals when the game was originally set to be a PS1 title, and judging by the videos I honestly don't think Gearbox did much work on the game if at all.

80. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:36 Angrius Maximis

Xero wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 15:20:
I'm rather surprised by it's reception. I was one that was defending it's graphics whenever the crappy trailers hit and people didn't seem to realize it was from the console versions. But, graphics don't always make the game clearly and if they failed miserable on the gameplay, then it's their own downfall. Can't defend that.

Defending its graphics? More like graphical glitches. It looks terrible.

79. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:27 netnerd85

Cutter wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 13:32:
Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:56:
Eh I don't know why some of you take so much pleasure in this, people could lose their jobs and no one likes a crappy game. I'd much rather be proven wrong and have a cool Aliens game to play

Are you supposed to like people that rip other people off? How odd. That's not how it works for most people. Make a shitty product you deserve to be out of a job. No one - except you and netnerd it seems - is going to shed a single tear if that happens.

Ripped off? That would imply they didn't get what they paid for but they did. There were countless previews and features. They got exactly what was advertised. Lots of people didn't seem to like it then so they didn't buy it. Anyone that buys it get's what they bought, there is no "rip off". It's like saying you got ripped off going to the movies, you saw the trailer, you paid to see the full thing, just because it sucks doesn't mean anything. Don't go and see the next film, easy.

As for shedding tears. No. Have no plans on buying it.

Did you buy it Cutter?

78. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 15:20 Xero

Currently playing: Skyrim

77. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:50 SpectralMeat

NegaDeath wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 14:06:
nin wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 13:53:
Sadly a parody account. Still made me chuckle.

And from a link in one of those comments here's a video showing a guy completing a level without firing a shot.

Wow and I thought CoD ai sucked

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 14:57.

Steam: SpectralMeat

76. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:40 PropheT

I played it for a little bit, and, wow. If anybody is nostalgic for games from around 15 years ago, here's a new game that's just like ones that came out 15 years ago.

Enemies spawning out of the walls, running at you in a stilted upright animation like they were enemies from DOOM, everything. This would probably have been pretty well received if it came out around the same time as Halo. The first one.

It's definitely bad, though, and impossible to recommend to anyone for full price. Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't having some fun with it...there's a little enjoy there, if you can get past it being made by a developer where I'm not sure they've touched a shooter since Goldeneye.

75. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:32 Verno

I didn't realize they butchered so much canon in the storyline for this, just finally got around to reading most of the reviews now. Gonna walk back my earlier opinion and say that deserve some flak for that alone. If your game is going to suck, at least don't murder fond memories and characters.  

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

74. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:24 Mad Max RW

After this disaster I don't think we'll be seeing another AAA developed Aliens game in a very long time. Consider whatever Creative Assembly has been working on canceled.  

73. Re: Ships Ahoy - Aliens: Colonial Marines Feb 12, 2013, 14:15 nin

Dagnamit wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 14:12:
Personally, I think Gearbox is being really smart about buying up struggling games from incompetant developers. They get first crack at developing a brand new Duke Nukem franchise that comes with a ton of name recognition, and the chance to make a proper Aliens game. Nothing like buying up quality franchises on the cheap. Makes business sense.

How do we know they now have the rights to make another one? And why would Sega...

Oh fuck, it's sega, who published the last AvP, fine, I'll give you that one!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

172 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo