Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today

The official website for Star Wars: The Old Republic has a couple of posts detailing plans for the upcoming version 1.7 update for the free-to-play Star Wars MMORPG. There's a developer blog with details on Relics of the Gree, a limited-time recurring in-game event, accompanied by another post with a sneak peek video of what this involves. The site and game are currently undergoing scheduled maintenance to install the new update, and the details LucasArts provides indicate players should be able to access this new event beginning today:

• Relics of the Gree – Discover the mysteries behind the Grey Secant, an ancient Gree starship that has suddenly appeared over Ilum’s Western Ice Shelf. From February 12 to February 26, players can visit the in-game News Terminals located on Carrick Station or Vaiken Spacedock to begin their adventure. The Gree have promised advanced technology, including powerful weapons and armor, to anyone who is brave enough to aid them against an insidious foe who has taken control at the heart of their ship.
  • Galactic Reputation – This new system enables players to earn Reputation points by completing missions for factions such as the Gree, or for military divisions within the Republic and the Empire. The Galactic Reputation system advances characters through six ranks of increasing prestige: “Outsider”, "Newcomer", "Friend", "Hero", "Champion", and "Legend". Galactic Reputation is also tied to a character’s Legacy, so Reputation points and ranks are shared across all the characters within the same Legacy.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 13, 2013, 19:50 Nacelle

The problem with your point is, you can pay with in-game credits, or real money. In an earlier post I mentioned that I have not spent any more that my sub price. So everything I said you can buy, can be paid for with credits that are earned in the game. f2p is not a problem. It has brought in more players and makes it possible for Bioware to keep adding content and fixing the game. Also, an MMO has to have credit sinks, otherwise the economy gets too flooded with money and inflation kills it.

You know you don't have to do every single quest given to you. If you don't want to run back across an area you just went through, you don't have to. Hit the "Abandon" button in the quest log. It's more likely the reason you have to run an area twice is because you missed picking up that quest. I've done it myself. I forgot to turn in a quest and the next leg of it was in an area I just went through. It's not the devs fault I did that.

Maybe I am a fanboy, but I've never seen such bunch of anti-fanboys. Whining about every little thing for no reason other than they think they look cool doing it. All the cool kids are bashing SWTOR, why shouldn't I?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 13, 2013, 11:48 Bhruic

Nacelle wrote on Feb 13, 2013, 07:25:
What do you mean then? You take a speeder to the nearest explored zone, collect your quests, run out and explore, do quests, find another speeder hub. How's this any different than any other MMO? You can quicktravel to any previously explored hub and you can pay to have that cooldown shortened. So what's the problem?

Again, because of the amount of times they send you back to the same out-of-the-way area for a single quest. The travel system itself isn't a problem, it's the way they force its use constantly as a time sink.

Canard or not, it's what it sounds like to me. Especially since you're still harping on launch problems and not how game is now.

Of course that's how we sound to you, you're being a fanboy. Any criticism of a game sounds like whining to a fanboy.

And the problems that have been described are still present in the game. You've even admitted yourself that you can't run/use a speeder in the game without paying for it. Having to pay for something that fundamental in a game is a great indicator of poor f2p design.

18. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 13, 2013, 07:25 Nacelle

Bhruic wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 22:49:
Sure, I had fun when I was playing it too, for the most part. The didn't mean I was blind to the faults in the game.

There's a difference between being blind to something and not thinking it's that bad. Don't like it, move on. Bashing it every time there is update is just childish.

"Run" is being used generically. Yes, you don't necessarily literally run for all that time.

What do you mean then? You take a speeder to the nearest explored zone, collect your quests, run out and explore, do quests, find another speeder hub. How's this any different than any other MMO? You can quicktravel to any previously explored hub and you can pay to have that cooldown shortened. So what's the problem?

And as someone who's played since launch, why not be honest about it? For the first couple months, you didn't even start with the ability to run (or "sprint"), you didn't get that until level 15. And you couldn't buy a speeder until level 25.

But that is not the state of the game now. Was Wow the game it is now, at launch?

Ah yes, the old "if you dislike a game I like, you're a whiner!" canard.

Canard or not, it's what it sounds like to me. Especially since you're still harping on launch problems and not how game is now.

This comment was edited on Feb 13, 2013, 07:33.

17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 13, 2013, 01:18 Beelzebud

I love this game. No joke.

It is the game that finally made me realize that MMO's were a good concept that got completely ruined by greedy publishers trying to chase the success of WoW.

I *might* play an MMO when someone comes along and puts something totally new on the table, but until then, I'm done with MMO's.

16. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 13, 2013, 00:31 edaciousx

the crappy end game is what did me in... supposedly its a wow clone at end game which explains why i never got into wow. I will return for the single player aspect of it, that stuff was RAD and VERY awesome imo.  

15. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 22:49 Bhruic

Nacelle wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:55:
SWTOR is the only game I've played since launch. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in it. I'm having fun. That's all that matters.

Sure, I had fun when I was playing it too, for the most part. The didn't mean I was blind to the faults in the game.

I'm not sure what game you are playing, but I run very little. At level 10 you can get speeder piloting. Before then, rocket boots (boost) gets you around pretty fast.

"Run" is being used generically. Yes, you don't necessarily literally run for all that time.

And as someone who's played since launch, why not be honest about it? For the first couple months, you didn't even start with the ability to run (or "sprint"), you didn't get that until level 15. And you couldn't buy a speeder until level 25.

I am thankful that all you whiners aren't playing anymore. The rest of us that like the game don't care to hear what you all think of it while we're playing.

Ah yes, the old "if you dislike a game I like, you're a whiner!" canard.

Regardless, if you are having fun, by all means, keep playing. That's the beauty of having lots of different games to choose from.

14. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:55 Nacelle

SWTOR is the only game I've played since launch. I have hundreds and hundreds of hours in it. I'm having fun. That's all that matters. I'm not sure what game you are playing, but I run very little. At level 10 you can get speeder piloting. Before then, rocket boots (boost) gets you around pretty fast. Of course these things aren't just given to you. You have to buy them with either in-game credits or real money. I pay my monthly sub only and have everything. I've never payed any extra real money for anything. There are people who will spend real money for stuff and sell them for credits. So it works out for everyone. I am thankful that all you whiners aren't playing anymore. The rest of us that like the game don't care to hear what you all think of it while we're playing.  

13. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:22 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 19:11:
MattyC wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 16:51:
When did the walking get bad? I rarely found it much of an issue, but then I think I never got past level 10 or so (whatever the free 2 play cap was at the time).

It's not really the walking that's the problem, it's the way they handle some of the quests. Basically they keep giving you ones that require you to re-visit areas you'd already been to, most often having to go the farthest away from the planet entry point. They did have travel stations to help out, and personal vehicles, but it still was a lot of time wasted simply on traveling.

Oh jesus I remember that... Here in the northwestern corner of the map go pick this item up and bring it back... to the south-eastern corner of the map. Now do that seven more times.

12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:12 Flatline

Elessar wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 11:59:
Theo wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:29:
Ahhhh EA's cross country sci-fi running simulator. didnt realise it was still going.
While playing, I often referred to it as Star Wars Jogging Simulator, but I like this one too.

When did the walking get bad? I rarely found it much of an issue, but then I think I never got past level 10 or so (whatever the free 2 play cap was at the time).

Whatever world it is just before you qualify for your first speeder, so around level 25 or so. It takes jogging sim to a whole new level. And later levels, like Hoth, are simply white on pale blue skies, forever... And Tattooine, which is tan on blue skies forever... It may only be 300 yards you're jogging, but it feels like 30 parsecs.

11. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 19:11 Bhruic

It's not really the walking that's the problem, it's the way they handle some of the quests. Basically they keep giving you ones that require you to re-visit areas you'd already been to, most often having to go the farthest away from the planet entry point. They did have travel stations to help out, and personal vehicles, but it still was a lot of time wasted simply on traveling.

10. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 18:01 Asmo

It's honestly embarrassing to see the Star Wars IP thrashing around like this (kinda like watching Ep 1, 2 and 3).

The promo email for this crap rolled in this morning, and it's just a big ad sheet for cartel coins. On yeah, now you can get a big Ep1 pod racer speeder for about 15 bucks or w/e... /eyeroll

edit: And even more hilarious, the splash screen for my top level bounty hunter claims I'm one of the most famous and notorious BH's in the galaxy (the same thing all top levels get) but suddenly I'm an outsider with a big rep grind ahead of me. It took me 10 mins of perusing the "f2p" offering before signing out forever.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 18:22.

9. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 16:51 MattyC

Elessar wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 11:59:
Ahhhh EA's cross country sci-fi running simulator. didnt realise it was still going.
While playing, I often referred to it as Star Wars Jogging Simulator, but I like this one too.

8. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 14:59 WyldKat

Oh a Rep grind, that's exactly what this game needed... I'm sure subscribers will come flocking back!  

7. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 14:38 NKD

nin wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:32:
It would be helpful if everyone who worked on this got a tattoo. That way we could see from a distance who's the blame. The Scarlet TOR, if you will.

Given the long development cycle and large team, it's likely you'd never buy a game again.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 sauron

Is this the patch that makes it goo....

Eh nevermind.

Kittens!

5. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 11:59 Elessar

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

4. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 10:41 Orphic Resonance

Acleacius wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 10:38:
Love the idea of Tagging designers and mocking their shitty design decisions in public. Bonus points for cleverly attaching their name to specific bad design! Bloodthirsty

yeh this is the kind of crowd i would expect to be playing a star wars MMO

3. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 10:38 Acleacius

Love the idea of Tagging designers and mocking their shitty design decisions in public. Bonus points for cleverly attaching their name to specific bad design! Bloodthirsty  
The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

2. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 09:32 nin

It would be helpful if everyone who worked on this got a tattoo. That way we could see from a distance who's the blame. The Scarlet TOR, if you will.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Update Today Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 Theo

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo