Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Tomb Raider Trailer

This trailer offers almost 11 minutes of gameplay from the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot, showing combat, exploration, and environments featuring the new more anatomically correct Lara Croft. The clip is accompanied by narration from Noah Hughes, as the creative director on the upcoming action/adventure reboot walks us through what we're seeing.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 13, 2013, 00:55 saluk

Boring.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 18:15 jdreyer

Basically, I agree with everything Jerykk said, but I still think this looks like fun. Give that's it's probably a 6-7 hour play through, it's a wait and buy on sale purchase.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

27. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 12:38 Creston

Okay, this video would have been more entertaining without the creepily breathing dude who does the narration. It's almost like he's getting off on watching a young woman being tortured...

Visually, I think it looks great. The new look Lara is cool, and the environments are awesome. Everything moves smoothly, animation is very nice, and enemies actually respond to being hit as opposed to the standard bullet sponges who takes 18 rounds without flinching, then keel over dead with the 19th round.

There are some minor nitpicks overall (no human can ever reload a bow that quickly, not even Mike Powell in his prime could ever jump as far as Lara does, and arrows sure as fuck don't make barrels explode), but I'll take those as simple gaming tropes and ignore them.

What's harder to ignore, however, is their insistance on railroading you to where they want you to go, which makes me think this is an absolutely linear experience, and the absolutely braindead AI. Several times Lara runs up to a guy behind cover who doesn't do anything but wait for her to shoot him, and that small part where she avoids the guys running up the mountain path and drops behind them, she then shoots some barrels and apparently those two guys are deaf because once avoided, they never return...

And I'm sorry, but if you go through so much effort to "inhibit gameplay" because Lara has open wounds, then don't make her able to still leap 40 feet with a jump, or yank open a helicopter with a rope WHILE SHE HAS A BLEEDING ABDOMINAL WOUND.

I also saw zero puzzles.

Looks great, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the gameplay all that much.

Creston

26. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 12:33 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 08:34:
Jerykk wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 23:28:
So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.
We don't know that yet. Obviously they're showing off the new gameplay elements, like combat, as something new but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot of traditional puzzle solving. Underworld increased the amount of combat but it was still a very good TR game.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between gameplay and story. Lara is supposed to be inexperienced, yet she runs around murdering hardened killers left and right.
But we don't know how far into the game this section is, nor do we know what's come before. The earlier videos show her to be weak and vulnerable, so it's not all like this.

I didn't watch much of the video because I didn't want to spoil the game as I've already got it preordered but the graphics look decent (like the previous games were) and it looks like they're changed things up enough to keep it fresh. Hopefully there's plenty in the way of tomb raiding, as otherwise the franchise has jumped the shark - I'm not interested in the combat, more the narrative and puzzles.

They've already released a significant amount of video footage of the game. This is the third walkthrough demo. In all the walkthrough videos, there's a clear emphasis on combat (and QTEs and cutscenes) and a distinct lack of skill-based platforming and challenging puzzle-solving. The only puzzle they've shown to completion was a very rudimentary one. In addition to the videos, there have been plenty of previews and interviews that reaffirm my criticisms of the game. They've even released a list of achievements, the bulk of which pertain to killing things.

It's odd that the platforming is the memorable part, because its linear and basically "push the awesome button."

I hope you're not referring to the previous TR games because you couldn't be more wrong. The platforming and puzzle-solving in the previous games required skill and thought. The exact opposite of "push the awesome button."

Being a little more combat focused does two things; 1, it gives more replayability to a game, since very few puzzles are genuinely fun the second time around, and 2 it gives them a chance to implement upgrades to your character as you play, giving you a carrot to chase while you explore or gain achievements or whatever else throughout the game.

Or they could just add upgrades that actually help you with platforming and puzzle-solving, which should be the focus of the game. New acrobatic maneuvers, for example. Compared to Underworld, Lara's new moveset is thoroughly underwhelming. She can't balance or swing on poles, she can't swing around with her grappling hook, she can't wall-run, she can't dive... removing traversal abilities is the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Besides, at this point in gaming...how many different key combination, move this block to that spot, push this wheel, discover this symbol combination puzzles, or whatever other content that passes for a "puzzle" in a game, actually gives you even the slightest pause anymore?

That's the whole problem with modern gaming. The vast majority of games don't have puzzles and the ones that do are generally dumbed down. Anniversary had great puzzles and this new game could have followed that trend. Instead, it decided to follow the other trend and dumbed everything down.

Also, complaining about dumbing games down for the CoD kiddies is really becoming the gaming forum equivalent of shaking your fist at those damn kids on your lawn. It's just silly completely accurate.

Fixed. Ignoring the obvious impact of CoD's success is silly. Lamenting how that impact is turning every genre into a watered-down shooter is completely valid.

Fair enough. I dunno I haven't played a TR in forever and I'm now actually considering picking this one up based on this video, so I guess it did something right, considering I generally don't like platform/puzzle games either.

This is the exact problem. They aren't designing this game to appeal to fans of the series. They're designing it to appeal to people who never liked the series in the first place. Essentially screwing their existing audience in favor of a new one. Splinter Cell: Conviction, R6: Vegas and GRAW did the same thing.

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 12:47.

25. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 12:06 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 11:51:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:24:
So an 11 min clip tells you the majority of the game is combat? Because it didn't look that way to me. Tomb Raider came long before Uncharted, if anything Uncharted is more a TR ripoff than the other way around.

People are just commenting based on the clip, not writing a full game review. When they have more info I'm sure they will weigh everything together. I also said that in my previous post and commented why Uncharted is not Tomb Raider. You asked what the bitching was about and I explained what I thought people might be complaining about.

Fair enough. I dunno I haven't played a TR in forever and I'm now actually considering picking this one up based on this video, so I guess it did something right, considering I generally don't like platform/puzzle games either.

24. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 11:51 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 09:24:
So an 11 min clip tells you the majority of the game is combat? Because it didn't look that way to me. Tomb Raider came long before Uncharted, if anything Uncharted is more a TR ripoff than the other way around.

People are just commenting based on the clip, not writing a full game review. When they have more info I'm sure they will weigh everything together. I also said that in my previous post and commented why Uncharted is not Tomb Raider. You asked what the bitching was about and I explained what I thought people might be complaining about.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

23. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 11:32 loomy

what game is this? mortal kombat? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NjZtEiosgA&hd=1#t=4m10s  

22. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 09:24 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 08:38:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 08:23:
I don't see what the bitching is about. This game looks fun, and I am not at all a Tomb Raider fan, last one I played was 1, on the playstation.

Tomb Raider is historically a platformer and the focus on combat was more of an afterthought. It looks like they're just trying to ape a poor mans Uncharted. Ironically the platforming and story parts are the standouts of Uncharted and the combat is pretty ho-hum and forgettable. Maybe they will make something that is a nice in between but they seem to be focusing pretty heavily on the combat. I guess time will tell as they show off more of the game.

21. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 09:13 Verno

Uncharted is more like an Indiana Jones game than it is a Tomb Raider rip off IMHO. They share similar elements but I don't think they went in there with the intent of "lets make a Tomb Raider game" because Tomb Raider games weren't doing well at all back then. I don't think Tomb Raider going that route is necessarily a bad thing since the PC and Xbox lack Uncharted games, it's a savvy business decision.  

20. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 09:12 Beamer

Verno wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 08:38:
I don't see what the bitching is about. This game looks fun, and I am not at all a Tomb Raider fan, last one I played was 1, on the playstation.

Tomb Raider is historically a platformer and the focus on combat was more of an afterthought. It looks like they're just trying to ape a poor mans Uncharted. Ironically the platforming and story parts are the standouts of Uncharted and the combat is pretty ho-hum and forgettable. Maybe they will make something that is a nice in between but they seem to be focusing pretty heavily on the combat. I guess time will tell as they show off more of the game.

It's odd that the platforming is the memorable part, because its linear and basically "push the awesome button."
But it's fun.

Combat is fun, too, but not perfect.
The game is best when you don't do either too long. And that sounds like a put down, but it's a game much better than the sum of its parts, mostly due to its personality.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

19. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 Xero

I find it funny when people say it's ripping off Uncharted when Uncharted was not even in the WOMB of a console when the original Tomb Raider hit. If anything it's the other way around with Uncharted adding more ideas to the concept.
Tomb Raider is back to now reclaim whatever it never had and Uncharted took, lol.
I honestly think this looks great and I'm not the biggest Tomb Raider fan with the exception of Underworld which I thought was fantastic. This one looks like it has the right mixture of combat/puzzles but will favor more the action than puzzles this time around. Honestly, if it's done right, what is there to complain? It's a game!

Currently playing: Skyrim

18. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 08:38 Verno

17. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 08:34 theyarecomingforyou

So much focus on combat. The TR series has always been known for platforming and puzzles, not combat, so why is this one focusing on combat and dumbing down the platforming and puzzle-solving? Oh, right, gotta appeal to the CoD demographic.
We don't know that yet. Obviously they're showing off the new gameplay elements, like combat, as something new but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot of traditional puzzle solving. Underworld increased the amount of combat but it was still a very good TR game.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any correlation between gameplay and story. Lara is supposed to be inexperienced, yet she runs around murdering hardened killers left and right.
But we don't know how far into the game this section is, nor do we know what's come before. The earlier videos show her to be weak and vulnerable, so it's not all like this.

I didn't watch much of the video because I didn't want to spoil the game as I've already got it preordered but the graphics look decent (like the previous games were) and it looks like they're changed things up enough to keep it fresh. Hopefully there's plenty in the way of tomb raiding, as otherwise the franchise has jumped the shark - I'm not interested in the combat, more the narrative and puzzles.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

16. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 08:23 RollinThundr

15. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 06:22 Kajetan

Yep, this is ... not very smart. But i guess the new Tomb Raider is not aimed at "smart" people.

14. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 eRe4s3r

Looks like a Gears of War clone except we trade manly super machos to super fembot... but nothing else was expected from Square Enix...

And before you feminists come out of the woods... that was not meant negative.. I could do with a good Gears of Wars clone, or Uncharted clone I guess, but that was never on PC.. so I guess I'll just say, it looks ok...

This comment was edited on Feb 12, 2013, 05:19.

13. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 02:32 cronik

Tanto Edge wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 01:16:
Well Uncharted 4 looks great. Where's Tomb Raider?

HAHAHAHA

12. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 02:04 jdreyer

I agree with Jerykk that this would have been more interesting, more related to the story, and more Tomb-Raidery as more of a stealth/survival game than an imitation of Uncharted. Croft's acrobatic ability and gadgets are perfect for avoiding combat than engaging in it. Make the enemies more lethal, and force Lara to really have to pick her battles.

Still, for what it is it looks pretty good. We haven't really had an Uncharted game for PC yet, so this one will be worth checking out.

Also, is it just me, or does Lara really look half Asian/half Caucasian? Is that to get the game to appeal to a wider audience?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: More Big Picture Details Feb 12, 2013, 02:02 PropheT

I'm hoping the game sells poorly so that Square and CD reassess this new direction.

Did you watch past the first 2 minutes of the video?

Besides, at this point in gaming...how many different key combination, move this block to that spot, push this wheel, discover this symbol combination puzzles, or whatever other content that passes for a "puzzle" in a game, actually gives you even the slightest pause anymore?

Tomb Raider games have always had a pretty good mix of combat and exploration. Really, other than the first and Anniversary (which I'm not sure counts, then) they've all had a lot of combat in them or replaced certain combat elements with puzzles that were just QTE's that I don't think anyone really enjoyed a great deal.

Being a little more combat focused does two things; 1, it gives more replayability to a game, since very few puzzles are genuinely fun the second time around, and 2 it gives them a chance to implement upgrades to your character as you play, giving you a carrot to chase while you explore or gain achievements or whatever else throughout the game. It's also worth noting that the way games are made these days means that if this direction doesn't sell, the franchise is probably shelved...not remade into a different vision, one that I argue never really existed in the first place, based on past games. If a game this big doesn't sell the studio dies, there's stories about it happening posted here almost daily.

Also, complaining about dumbing games down for the CoD kiddies is really becoming the gaming forum equivalent of shaking your fist at those damn kids on your lawn. It's just silly.

10. Re: Tomb Raider Trailer Feb 12, 2013, 01:16 Tanto Edge

Well Uncharted 4 looks great. Where's Tomb Raider?  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo