Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards

Game Developers Choice Awards announce that BioWare founders Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk will be honored at the 2013 GDC Awards with an honor for their lifetime achievement in video games. Word is Double Fine's Tim Shafer will return as host:

SAN FRANCISCO — Feb. 11, 2013 — The 13th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards (GDCAs), the leading peer-based awards celebrating game development, will honor Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk, co-founders of the award-winning BioWare™ studio, with the Lifetime Achievement Award for their contributions to the art and science of games. The Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony takes place Wednesday, March 27th at 6:30 pm at the Moscone Convention Center during the 2013 Game Developers Conference® (GDC) in San Francisco.

Both Choice and IGF Awards will see the return of industry-favorite hosts with Tim Schafer, the LucasArts veteran and President and CEO of Double Fine Productions (Brutal Legend, Costume Quest, The Cave), hosting the Choice Awards ceremony and Pocketwatch Games’ Andy Schatz, creator of 2010 Independent Games Festival Grand Prize winner Monaco, returning as host of the Independent Games Festival awards.

Lifetime Achievement Award honorees Muzyka and Zeschuk, known throughout the game development community as the ‘BioWare Doctors’, met while in medical school at the University of Alberta where they learned they shared a passion for video game development. They each continued to moonlight as doctors during the early years of BioWare but then transitioned to the videogame industry full time as they and their passionate teams at BioWare went on to create some of the industry’s most influential, highly praised and critically acclaimed role-playing games such as Baldur's Gate™, Neverwinter Nights™, Star Wars™: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire™, Mass Effect™, Dragon Age™ and Star Wars™: The Old Republic.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 11:05 Creston

InBlack wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 03:26:
Are they going to retire now? Fuck they are.

Actually, both of them have already retired. Unless you meant Bioware as a whole, in which case, no, they aren't going to retire. Their games still sell millions of copies (and weirdly, their crappiest DLCs seem to sell even more...)

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 08:28 RollinThundr

Acleacius wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 07:40:
Sad about what's happened over the years but they deserve it overall.

The scary part is I'm not sure how much would be different even if riccitiello's borderline-legal (the word 'legal' is being used loosely here), corporate takeover maneuvers. Bioware seemed all too willing to lower quality for consoles over the years.

I have no issue with the docs getting appreciated for what they've contributed, especially the earlier BW titles.

It wouldn't be any different. Bioware was already moving towards the consoles before EA acquired them. I was a little more surprised just how quick their quality dropped however from DA2 on. Seemed a bit quick.

11. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 Acleacius

Sad about what's happened over the years but they deserve it overall.

The scary part is I'm not sure how much would be different even if riccitiello's borderline-legal (the word 'legal' is being used loosely here), corporate takeover maneuvers. Bioware seemed all too willing to lower quality for consoles over the years.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

10. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 04:36 hello newman

People usually get inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame long after they are incapable of releasing a decent album...

I guess it also applies to the Video Game Hall of Fame

9. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 03:26 InBlack

NKD wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 01:24:
They deserve these awards. If for no other reason than the fact that they set the bar so high that they can release games that, while disappointing in comparison, are better than probably 90% of the drek released, and people still want to burn them at the stake and enslave their families as serfs.

Did I read this right? Dragon Age 2 is better than 90% of what? How bout The Old Republic, what is it exactly better than? What about Mass Effect 3, is it better than Mass Effect 2? These guys have been great gaming innovators and back when they used to build games that they themselves wanted to play, thats when they did their best work. Sorry but Im not going to give them slack for riding on the coatails of their past glory and for selling out. Fuck that shit.
Im not saying they dont deserve the reward, Im saying that the reward means DICK. Are they going to retire now? Fuck they are. They are going to outsource and mass produce new and infinitely retarded games for the masses the likes of which will make Dragon Age 2 and the Old Republic look like pinnacles of human creativity......

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 12, 2013, 01:24 NKD

They deserve these awards. If for no other reason than the fact that they set the bar so high that they can release games that, while disappointing in comparison, are better than probably 90% of the drek released, and people still want to burn them at the stake and enslave their families as serfs.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

7. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 22:47 Creston

Awards people: "Dr Muzyka, Dr Zeschuk, we are honored to present to you these awards for your role in founding and establishing Bioware, which for a significant amount of time was one of the PC's premier developers. Congratulations."

Doctors: "Thank you, thank you so much!"

Awards people: "And now, we're taking these awards away again, because you sold Bioware to EA, which for all intents and purposes was worse than just killing it outright. Both of you suck. Please leave through the side entrance. Goodbye."

Creston

6. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 21:54 Optional Nickname!

nin wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:26:
I think the original Dragon Age was their swan song, and even then I'm not sure how well it stacks up to BG2 (and how much of that is just rose colored glasses).

Still on my 1st run-through with Dragon's Age: Origins (and umpteenth BG2 run-through).

Dragon's Age has a mediocre soundtrack and feels like a console game with a very wonky camera and vastly over-complicated (but interesting) tactics system. There is nothing noteworthy or memorable about any of the characters so far. They all seem too put-out to be adventuring in a fantasy RPG whereas Baldur's Gate has Minsc and Boo.

"Evil 'round every corner, careful not to step in any!" "Squeek!"

No comparison.

5. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 21:26 nin

There was a time if it had "Bioware" on it, I'd buy it on faith. That ended a couple years ago.

I think the original Dragon Age was their swan song, and even then I'm not sure how well it stacks up to BG2 (and how much of that is just rose colored glasses).

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 21:00 croll

Spot on. There was a time if it had "Bioware" on it, I'd buy it on faith. That ended a couple years ago. With sincere respect to their past accomplishments, I think the good doctors started to phone it in after the sale to EA (or at least the products with their company's name went downhill in terms of what I consider to be a good game). The award is deserved (and timely).  

3. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 20:57 Bhruic

I played and liked all the games on that list (although SW:TOR was a letdown). That just makes the Bioware of today more of a shame. But ignoring the fact they sold out to EA, they definitely contributed a lot to quality RPGs over the years, so this is well deserved.  

2. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 20:50 Fletch

^Was going to make a similar comment. Bioware was awesome. EA is the suck.  

1. Re: BioWare Founders Honored by GDC Awards Feb 11, 2013, 20:41 Jivaro

Despite the more recent letdowns, I think this is well earned. Many Bioware games are on my shelf and the overwhelming vast majority of them were fantastic games.

Just a shame the end of the ride wasn't that great.

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo