Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 12, 2013, 07:22 Beamer

swedishfriend wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 04:11:
How many low budget downloadable games have demos? 100% or so. How many disc only games are there and how many of them have demos? Not as many. What we really are seeing is that there are more shitty games that have demos than quality games with demos. There is no general rule that makes having a demo absolutely detrimental to sales. If your game isn't worth buying then a demo will hurt sales otherwise it will help.

I'm not sure if he counts XBLA games, but yeah, mostly.

The biggest games, like CoD or ME, don't bother with demos because they're unnecessary. Smaller games do because they are more desperate to find an audience.

So it's no surprise that games without demos sell better - they often don't have demos simply because they know they'll sell better.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 12, 2013, 05:46 fawker

How many low budget downloadable games have demos?

minecraft is the biggest one i can thing of, although there are many others

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 12, 2013, 04:11 swedishfriend

How many low budget downloadable games have demos? 100% or so. How many disc only games are there and how many of them have demos? Not as many. What we really are seeing is that there are more shitty games that have demos than quality games with demos. There is no general rule that makes having a demo absolutely detrimental to sales. If your game isn't worth buying then a demo will hurt sales otherwise it will help.  

1. Re: Games without demos sell better on Xbox 360. Feb 11, 2013, 23:10 SirKnight

"You mean we spent all this money making a demo and getting it out there, and it cut our sales in half?" said Schell, paraphrasing the hypothetical publisher looking at these figures. "Yes, that's exactly what happened to you."

Yeah the sales get cut in half because people find out from the demo that the game sucks.

"People see the trailer and they're like 'that's cool!' and they made a plan. 'I gotta try that game!'" explained Schell. "And then when they play the demo [and they think] 'alright I've tried that game. That was cool. I'm done.' But the things with no demo, you've got to buy it if you want to try it."

No, they did not buy the full game because they think "I did it I'm done." They did not buy it from previously, the demo showed the game sucked balls.

How about making a game that's worth a shit? No we can't do that, doing that takes time and real effort and makes no money.

4 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo