Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled

The Kickstarter Page for Wildman now shows a cancellation of the fundraising effort for this proposed hybrid of action/RPG and RTS gameplay from struggling developer Gas Powered Games that was just short of halfway to its $1.1 million goal with four days remaining (thanks Bob and nin). The game proposal came just ahead of layoffs, and this project was to save jobs and the company itself. This is indirectly addressed by the update about the cancellation:

We have some news today. We are canceling the Wildman Kickstarter.

At this point, it makes sense for us to focus our attention on other ways to keep Gas Powered Games running. Unfortunately, we are unable to share any specifics in public. When we have news to share, we will be posting it on our site. If you want status updates, or if you want to continue discussing Wildman and/or this Kickstarter, please consider migrating over to forums.gaspowered.com.

We are profoundly grateful to those of you who backed this project and Gas Powered Games. Your passion and hard work put us in a position to write this exciting new chapter in the history of GPG.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 12, 2013, 07:12 Tim

jdreyer wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 00:56:
Creston wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:55:
This makes no sense. You were going to cancel it, then let the people talk you into not cancelling it, then you cancel it BEFORE you get to the magical final 72 hours??

This has to be just about the worst-run Kickstarter campaign ever.

Creston

Meh, I donated, and I don't feel insulted. They weren't even at the halfway mark with only four days left. It was obvious they weren't going to make it.

Yeah, it could have been done better. It was a desperate attempt to right a sinking ship. There was bound to be drama. Also, Chris is a dev, he's not a slick salesman. He kept trying to do what he felt was right, not what he felt would generate the max return. If he was that latter person, he would have gone into stocks, not gaming.

This. I also backed it - wasn't sold on the concept of the game as such but some of the stuff behind it (mecury) and that of GPG itself. I agree, this could well be the start of something far better for them and given all the hours i've spent with SupCom FA alone a few quid to support them didn't present a major issue to me.

It's tempting to kick 'em when they're down but I have to say I felt that Chris was a honest guy - he's crap at PR, he's not good a bull like the industry king pins but heck he's done some great stuff in gaming (and that's to say for the games I like not you) and seems remarkably *human* in his follies and his emotions.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 12, 2013, 00:56 jdreyer

This makes no sense. You were going to cancel it, then let the people talk you into not cancelling it, then you cancel it BEFORE you get to the magical final 72 hours??

Creston

Meh, I donated, and I don't feel insulted. They weren't even at the halfway mark with only four days left. It was obvious they weren't going to make it.

Yeah, it could have been done better. It was a desperate attempt to right a sinking ship. There was bound to be drama. Also, Chris is a dev, he's not a slick salesman. He kept trying to do what he felt was right, not what he felt would generate the max return. If he was that latter person, he would have gone into stocks, not gaming.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 12, 2013, 00:14 jdreyer

Sho wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 18:23:
For me it was pretty simple: I wasn't interested in the game they were pitching.

Chris was a purist. If you weren't interested in the game, then he didn't want you to pledge. I admit, I wasn't that interested in the game, but I pledged anyway. Hopefully GPG and CT can continue.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 12, 2013, 00:13 netnerd85

Creston
Bit of a slap in the face to the backers. Maybe there is a personal issue with him seeing a "failed to fund" notice.

18. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 23:10 nin

Like say, a publisher stepping in? Or offering them another job?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 23:01 Quboid

Creston

It's had the stench of failure almost from the get go. Even if it looked interesting, I wouldn't have backed them because even if it met the target and I got charged, I'd have had little faith in the game being delivered.

- Quboid

16. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 22:55 Creston

Creston

15. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 21:03 Saboth

DS1 has an 86 on Metacritic and 8.4 on Gamespot. It did not have poor reception. Some people took a look at it and assigned it to another "diablo clone" category. It was a good game, and 2 was as well. 3 was terrible. SupCom of course was good, and I enjoyed 2.  

14. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 19:44 wtf_man

Never played any of his games, and if I remember correctly... the first dungeon siege had poor reception, so I skipped it.... and all his other games are either RTS or ARPGs... which I'm not into.

However, I aree that using kickstarter isn't an appropriate way to try to save a company.

13. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 19:22 Ray Marden

It is too bad this did not work out, though...maybe he stumbled into another good opportunity? Or at least an opportunity without too many strings attached?

I initially wrote off Wildman, I just labeled it a dumb action game, but then I watched the long interview on MC182 and I gave it another glance. From the passion Taylor had and this being a type of game I wouldn't normally consider, I figured I could part with a few dollars.
KnC after all?
Waiting for additional information,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

12. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 19:19 ASeven

They handled this kickstarter very badly from the start and each time they updated they seemed to give more reasons not to back this up.

A shame it had to come to this.

11. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 19:07 Golwar

Hehe, my English must be far worse than I thought. Or you guys must seriously wish them to be dead.
Or could there be any other reason why our interpretations differ so much?

10. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:58 Orphic Resonance

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 18:53:
"He's dead, Jim. Dead."

Xmastree

9. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:55 Orphic Resonance

it was incredibly silly for them to try to use kickstarter as a hail mary to "save their company".. it shouldnt work that way and im very glad it didnt

i know the fanboys arent happy but life is like that sometimes - also, im sure you will hear from Taylor again at some point

8. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:53 Cutter

"He's dead, Jim. Dead."

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

7. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:35 DangerDog

There have been a lot of kickstarter projects that should have made funding but didn't.

at least they didn't take the game to market only to discover not enough people wanted it.

6. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:26 Redmask

Sho wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 18:23:
For me it was pretty simple: I wasn't interested in the game they were pitching.

Same here. I just didn't care about Wildman and I don't feel obligated to kick money in because CT used to make games I played alot.

5. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:25 Saboth

Gas Bandit wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 18:17:
This is a real bummer. I'm a huge fan of the first Supreme Commander and Demigod. I hope they can bounce back on this, but it is sounding like Chris Taylor put all his eggs in Wildman's basket.

Me too. I pretty much enjoyed all of their games. This one sounded like a couple of genres that I enjoy, combined. Oh well, the next Call of Dooty will rake in 1.2 billion dollars, but an innovative project fails to generate 500k.

4. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:23 Sho

3. Re: Wildman Kickstarter Cancelled Feb 11, 2013, 18:22 Golwar

That's no bummer, it actually sounds (to me) as if they wouldn't need the Kickstarter anymore and found another alternative future for GPG.

Especially the part about "put us in a position to write this exciting new chapter in the history of GPG" hints imho that this isn't end, but the beginning of something new.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo