Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Games for Windows LIVE Issue

An issue with Games for Windows LIVE has prevented some customers from playing games that rely on Microsoft's online services for a few days now. This forum thread has collected reports about this since Friday, most mentioning either Dark Souls or Age of Empires Online, which Joystiq notes (thanks nin) may be because these are the most popular games using GFWL. A reply from Microsoft support on Friday said: "As stated we are aware of this issue and are looking into what is causing it and for a resolution." That post was updated today with some new information:

Users are still experiencing this issue, there has been some progress; the Games for Windows Marketplace should now be correctly showing the Games Activation Keys and Live Access Codes.

We are still looking into the connection issues with various games. Some users are reporting success by running the following four commands in an admininstrator command prompt (right click on the command propt and select run as administrator)
- bitsadmin /reset
- ipconfig /flushdns
- netsh int ip reset
- netsh winsock reset

then restarting their computers, starting their game up and selecting "Sign-in with another account" and re-entering their log-in information.

This is not working for everyone and we are looking into a complete resolution for all of our users.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 12, 2013, 18:17 KilrathiAce

I learn my lesson with original dow2, ever since then NEVER BUY A GAME THAT USES GFWL, teach my kids this wisdom as well.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 12, 2013, 16:08 Theo

YAWN  

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

20. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 12, 2013, 09:28 sauron

Tom wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 17:48:
Was thinking about picking up *insert name of game here* on sale but GFWL was the dealbreaker.

Fixed for truth. If it has GFWL on the (virtual) box it does not enter my house. Too much potential for software-related nonsense.

Kittens!

19. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 12, 2013, 02:29 Rea1One

I have never played Dark Souls or Age of Empires Online but the 20 other GFWL games I do own work fine with no dramas  

18. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 22:58 Creston

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:24:
Flushing your DNS should be mandatory for all games.

I love how they're implying that it's your computer's fault that it can't talk to their fucked up GfMFWL servers.

I will never, ever, ever again buy a game with that crap on it. I will support EA's "always-on" bullshit before I give another dime to Microsoft's whoreware.

Creston

17. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 22:53 NegaDeath

Wallshadows wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 22:24:

GFWL2 will require all games to be run from the command prompt. We don't take kindly to your "graphical user interfaces" around these parts!

16. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 22:24 Wallshadows

15. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 20:22 deqer

See? This is what the current generation has to deal with. DRM shit; and they're buying into it because they aren't wise enough to realize.

Just because a game exists, doesn't mean you should get it. But, what's the companies are doing; taking their brand names and making DRM shit and quietly shoving it down your throats without you realizing until it's too late.

14. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 20:01 Straylight

YES i do remember, I remember buying Kane and Lynch (I know i know) and only being able to play anyone online via GFWL PAID version.  

13. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 19:21 Beamer

Like I said the other day, I'm pretty certain this is dead. There's zero reason to have this AND Windows Store AND Xbox Live Store.

I think I only played two games using this, BioShock 2 and Flatout Whatever. I had zero issues with it, and it was fairly seamless, if more than a bit ugly, but it never got the investment it needed to provide any usefulness or even to overcome the bugs others experienced.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 19:19 Slashman

DangerDog wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 19:08:
Games for Windows LIVE tech support.

Is your computer plugged in?

DOH! Dunce

11. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 19:08 DangerDog

Games for Windows LIVE tech support.

Is your computer plugged in?

10. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 18:28 jacobvandy

This kind of shitty online service/DRM actually does encourage piracy... Because there are more people out there motivated to get around it. GJ MS!  

9. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:54 nin

I'm going to celebrate this news by playing some GTA4 - with xliveless!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:53 NegaDeath

I've only purchased a couple GFWL games, I avoid it as much as I can. Every time I've installed those games GFWL borks its own installation somehow and requires trips to forums for fixes. What a piece of crap. Microsoft isn't even trying to hide its disdain for PC gaming anymore. Developers, use GFWL at the risk of losing sales and customer respect.

Queue the "GFWL works fine for me yur PC sux" guy.

Edit: totally forgot about this, anyone else remember when MS tried to charge money to use this garbage? Lol!

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2013, 18:03.

7. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:52 mag

Redmask wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 17:38:
I bought Dark Souls on the steam sales at Christmas and couldn't even play it without some magical bullshit involving reinstalling 2 different GFWL versions in a specific order while uninstalling some other service. Never again.

I never had any of those problems, but I was hit with the GFWL problems all this weekend. Booooo. BOOOOO.

6. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:48 Tom

Was thinking about picking up Dark Souls on sale but GFWL was the dealbreaker. Glad I didn't bother.  

5. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:38 Redmask

I bought Dark Souls on the steam sales at Christmas and couldn't even play it without some magical bullshit involving reinstalling 2 different GFWL versions in a specific order while uninstalling some other service. Never again.  

4. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:29 Orphic Resonance

Cutter wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 17:22:
Easiest resolution for all concerned is to just kill that POS (dis)service already.

the man with the plan!

go for it, dude - save us from GFWL!

be a hero

while you are at it, kill golf as well - you hate that shit, right? good, now get out there and make it happen

3. Re: Games for Windows LIVE Issue Feb 11, 2013, 17:22 Cutter

Easiest resolution for all concerned is to just kill that POS (dis)service already.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo