Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 22:29 Ant

Ray Marden wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 18:16:
Well, the market is stagnating - my current system is basically two years old and I have no reason to upgrade because everything is held back by the consoles. I am actually looking at getting a new GPU soon, but that is because I work out deals with other people that need to upgrade their systems (I get something shiny and my old card gets passed down.)

Having said that, my card is only a year old (due to an identical situation as that listed above) and the lack of drastic performance improvements are disheartening.

Meanwhile, ATI AMD does seem like the more immature of the two manufacturers. Though it generally comes out ahead on overall performance, it needs a few driver releases to get there, I managed to get my first Windows 8 errors with the newest beta drivers, the physics-acceleration game is being won by NVidia, and they have only recently begun to acknowledge the micro-stuttering issues, much less trying to fix them. ATI AMD just rolled out a new GPU promotion for its 78xx and 79xx series, but the Crossfire promotion is only currently being honored by two or three system builders.

I generally like the cards, but I wish it would address some of these ongoing issues.
And $1,000.00 cards? No thank you.
Totally suffering from first world problems ,
Ray
I still use my 4+ years old ATI Radeon 4870 video card (512 MB; PCIE) in Windows XP Pro. SP3!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 18:16 Ray Marden

Well, the market is stagnating - my current system is basically two years old and I have no reason to upgrade because everything is held back by the consoles. I am actually looking at getting a new GPU soon, but that is because I work out deals with other people that need to upgrade their systems (I get something shiny and my old card gets passed down.)

Having said that, my card is only a year old (due to an identical situation as that listed above) and the lack of drastic performance improvements are disheartening.

Meanwhile, ATI AMD does seem like the more immature of the two manufacturers. Though it generally comes out ahead on overall performance, it needs a few driver releases to get there, I managed to get my first Windows 8 errors with the newest beta drivers, the physics-acceleration game is being won by NVidia, and they have only recently begun to acknowledge the micro-stuttering issues, much less trying to fix them. ATI AMD just rolled out a new GPU promotion for its 78xx and 79xx series, but the Crossfire promotion is only currently being honored by two or three system builders.

I generally like the cards, but I wish it would address some of these ongoing issues.
And $1,000.00 cards? No thank you.
Totally suffering from first world problems ,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 15:47 Bhruic

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 13:39:
Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 11:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 11:40:
Buying ATI was the worse mistake AMD made.

Where do you get this stuff? ATI is one of the few things making AMD any money right now. Buying ATI was probably the only smart move they've made in a long time, their integrated graphics work is the only thing keeping the company relevant and suppliers happy.

When both companies go under because AMD can barely compete with Intel as it is before even acquiring ATI will it still be a good idea? What choice will we have for video cards then? Nivida or intergrated, yay.

You really should teach a course in logical fallacies. Classic moving the goal posts example here. Someone points out that AMD buying ATI wasn't their "worse" mistake, and you immediately switch gears to why it was bad for ATI, completely ignoring the fact you didn't say anything about it being bad for ATI in the first place.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 13:58 Verno

RollinThundr wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 13:39:
When both companies go under because AMD can barely compete with Intel as it is before even acquiring ATI will it still be a good idea? What choice will we have for video cards then? Nivida or intergrated, yay.

That makes no sense. Diversifying their revenue was a smart move and ATI got as much as AMD did out of the deal. Neither company on their own was well poised, together they are much stronger providing an integrated solution for low power devices, consoles and STB applications. AMD would be sold long before it ever went out of business and videocards won't stop being made unless they stop making money.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 13:39 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 11:55:

Where do you get this stuff? ATI is one of the few things making AMD any money right now. Buying ATI was probably the only smart move they've made in a long time, their integrated graphics work is the only thing keeping the company relevant and suppliers happy.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 12:34 Verno

wtf_man wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 12:19:
That is the segment they really need to concentrate on, since they are going for low power for mobile. Squeeze as much performance as possible without needing an extra PCIe power cable would benefit their Mobile R&D. It is also the segment that nVidia hasn't competed well in... the 7750 is significantly faster than the GT640... which is pretty impressive for a card that needs no extra power.

Indeed, they're very competitive in the mobile and integrated market segments. It's no surprise they got both contracts for the next gen consoles.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 12:19 wtf_man

Well... my 8800GTX lasted 5 years for me, and I expect my GTX680 will last at least that long... so I can't say that I'm all that surprised with either company slowing down how often they put out a new card.

That said, I was looking forward to getting an HD8750 for our guest room machine. I won't run out and buy a 7750 when I know that an 8750 is right around the corner.

That is the segment they really need to concentrate on, since they are going for low power for mobile. Squeeze as much performance as possible without needing an extra PCIe power cable would benefit their Mobile R&D. It is also the segment that nVidia hasn't competed well in... the 7750 is significantly faster than the GT640... which is pretty impressive for a card that needs no extra power.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 11:58 NegaDeath

I've read rumors that Nvidia's next gen of cards are pushed back to late this year or next year as well, aside from the $900 monster mentioned in a blues post a couple days back. Unfortunately the archaic consoles are holding the industry as a whole back, hopefully releasing new systems will get things moving again. There's only so many bells and whistles you can bolt onto a console port.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2013, 12:18.

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 11:55 Verno

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 11:40 RollinThundr

mag wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 11:20:
No new Radeon GPUs from AMD for most of 2013?

That can't be good news from AMD.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 11, 2013, 11:20 mag

No new Radeon GPUs from AMD for most of 2013?

That can't be good news from AMD.

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo