Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The Westminster Kennel Club dog show kicks off this evening. I mentioned several years ago this is something MrsBlue and I enjoyed watching, though I have to admit we don't actually catch to much of the broadcast any more, as it is just mind-bogglingly similar every year, with the same announcers saying the same things year after year, which combines with how the appearance of the dogs never changes to create this creepy feeling you've watched the exact same show before (though if you've seen Best in Show, this eventually inspires a lot of laughter). Anyway, watching or not, we will be rooting as hard as we can for the Airedale Terrier, in Honor of Hudson the wonder dog. Not that it will help: Airedales have won best in show at Westminster four times, but the last time was when FDR was president, and World War I was still "The Great War" because we had not yet had a World War II.

Best in Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Commando Rush.
Stories: To win at Westminster, dogs campaign like presidential candidates.
Adventurers re-enact Shackleton's Antarctic voyage.
Science: Window-washing Winbot. Thanks HARDOCP.
Media: ‘SNL’ mocks Super Bowl blackout.
Fix Your Own Digital Camera.
Two leopards encounter a mirror. Thanks brother19.

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 xXBatmanXx

Dont care what anyone says. Skyrim is the shit.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2013, 03:15 xXBatmanXx

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 12, 2013, 02:11:
Bats don't feel bad, I remember Creston and I posting about how we couldn't take everything out of Oblivion's tutorial/sewers due to weight issues.

The only cheat mod I've ever used in all of Beth's game is something to get rid of weight issues.

What I would really like to do (if I didn't have ADD) is to collect everything possible in the game and just fill up Whiterun with it. I mean ANYTHING not nailed down, all across the entire game.

There are house mods that give you enough bookshelves and fills them with every book in the game, so you can read them in order. Kind of cool.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2013, 02:11 The Half Elf

Bats don't feel bad, I remember Creston and I posting about how we couldn't take everything out of Oblivion's tutorial/sewers due to weight issues.

The only cheat mod I've ever used in all of Beth's game is something to get rid of weight issues.

What I would really like to do (if I didn't have ADD) is to collect everything possible in the game and just fill up Whiterun with it. I mean ANYTHING not nailed down, all across the entire game.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 12, 2013, 00:57 xXBatmanXx

Well, early on in Skyrim it is acceptable, I needed to buy the first house...so yea.....now I just keep anything over 100 gold )level 10).  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 21:50 nin

I'm playing through dead island right now and have the same issue. Staring at a screen of weapons and trying to compare them by mousing back and forth...wee? At least in BL2 (even with it's crappy menu system) there was a compare option.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 21:31 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 21:15:
How sad is it that Dustman's Carin takes me 2 hours cause i run in and out to sell stuff.....I am such a horder....

Hording/100%-ism is the reason I can't play CRPGs anymore... I just can't seem to train myself to play a game and enjoy it in a "normal" way. To be honest it's a problem in every game but the less there is to do and interact with the more progress I make. Damn conundrum, I want my games to be complex and have a lot to do but when they do I then feel overwhelmed. "Why bother playing right now? I only have 2 hours and I need 6."

Torchlight 2 is a good example of these OCD tendencies ruining my game. Spending 5 minutes deciding which combination of weapons (that I'm only going to use for another hour max) is better. Then deciding that I can't make a proper decision and carry them all along with me occasionally swapping them. It's torture! /

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 21:15 xXBatmanXx

How sad is it that Dustman's Carin takes me 2 hours cause i run in and out to sell stuff.....I am such a horder....  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 18:49 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 17:55:
Thanks to Bats I unlocked Aliens: CM early and so far it's not looking good.
Visuals look pretty dated, the AI is along the lines of a id software game (see player rush at them), the story is pretty piss poor, and haven't had a chance to try out the multiplayer. It seems Sega was just trying to make some money off of the game and pushed it out the door. I wonder what happened to all the extra time they had to work on the game went.

Based on early review numbers, I'm not surprised in the least.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 18:00 Beamer

The Half Elf wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 17:55:
Visuals look pretty dated, the AI is along the lines of a id software game (see player rush at them), the story is pretty piss poor, and haven't had a chance to try out the multiplayer. It seems Sega was just trying to make some money off of the game and pushed it out the door. I wonder what happened to all the extra time they had to work on the game went.

Given the reviews and what we know of the development, I'm assuming it went like this:
1) Sega acquires license, pays Gearbox to work on it
2) Sega stops paying Gearbox, project put on hiatus but not canceled
3) Sega begins paying Gearbox, project begins again, but the work done is dated
4) Gearbox finishes the now years-old game rather than starting from scratch, because the budget is low

Just a guess. But it appeared, disappeared for a while without being canceled, then reappeared and is being called something that feels like the product of when work started, not of release. I'd guess it was not worked on, or barely worked on, for years. Of course, this isn't something easy, as it's hard as hell to pick up a program you hadn't touched in months, let alone years, so who knows if I'm at all close or whether there's some other incompetence that may have led to this.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 17:55 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 17:15 Ahumado

Just like all the lame ass football baseball and bassetball announcers. Believe me it is not unique to westminster  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 16:54 Orphic Resonance

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 14:27:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 14:26:
Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 13:51:
Finally started playing Saints Row 3 on Friday.

Man, were they dumb with the plot here.

You were expecting Pride and Prejudice?

No, my problem is that they thought they just give us that so they made a huge, bold move for drama.
But no one wants it to be Pride and Prejudice.

... what?

does this make any sense to someone else around here?

its like some kind of babblefish attempt

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 16:19 LesCaster

And to think that in some countries these dogs are eaten.

I once prayed to god for a bike, but quickly found out he didnt work that way...so I stole a bike and prayed for his forgiveness.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 15:34 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 14:27:

Maybe not. But some people want Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Apparently.

Anyway, I was being facetious.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 14:27 Beamer

No, my problem is that they thought they just give us that so they made a huge, bold move for drama.

-------------

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 14:27 nin

Any game that starts with 2001: A Space Odyssey, is a winner!

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 14:26 jdreyer

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 14:24 jdreyer

Whenever someone mentions dog shows, I always remember this Ren and Stimpy episode.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 13:51 Beamer

Man, were they dumb with the plot here. I understand they made the decision they did "because they wanted you to really hate The Syndicate," but this is Saints Row. No one really hates anything or feels stakes in anything, and nothing will change that. We want to steal cars, customize them to look dumb, then take a fat naked avatar out shooting guys in the face from that car. We don't need motivation beyond putting a red triangle above a guy for us to want to kill it.

-------------

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 11:35 Wallshadows

For the other two who preordered Colonial Marines, it seems as though you can preload the game on to Steam.

This comment was edited on Feb 11, 2013, 12:39.

It says on your chart that you're fucked up. Ah, you talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo