Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary

A new podcast for Rise of the Triad discusses Environmental Art and Design in the upcoming shooter remake, hearing from some of the artists involved in the game's production. Podcast #3 is accompanied by Developer Blog #3 which covers the same topics, and offers some concept art as a visual aid. The main topics include the concepts behind modular environmental design, and the challenges of recreating classic ROTT maps for the modern remake.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 12, 2013, 14:42 descender

The semi-realistic weapons in the game were actually a result of ROTT originally being a Wold3D sequel.

Those other things you list seem a lot more like technical limitations than actual game design... and ROTT actually had destructible environments.

So does it no longer classify as an "old school shooter"?

I think the problem here stems from trying to wedge the new games into subgenre's and pretending like they are not also very generic FPS games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 12, 2013, 12:45 jdreyer

descender wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 20:56:
How do those games you listed actually qualify as new ideas?

CoD/BF/FarCry/Serious Sam... all sequels to niche but well established styles of FPS... which you rattled off along with the games. BL2 is the third or fourth attempt at first person loot grinding (calling these games ARPG is just depressing). Where are the new ideas there?

Better production and graphics don't equate to new ideas in my eyes.

My original point was that the child who originally posted suggests this game is somehow an "old school shooter". What does that even mean? Does it simply mean "just like the old one"? All of the old FPS games had extremely different feels and play-styles to them, so grouping together as some style to be replicated now seems odd.

If he meant, as you put it a "mindless shooter", then what is that? Mindless is a word justified only by your level of involvement, or commitment to achieving something at a high difficulty. There is nothing mindless about trying to beat something like SS3 on the highest difficulty levels, especially in co-op. Any of these games can be played in a mindless fashion, though your level of satisfaction may vary.

ROTT is from the 90s. None of those games and their gameplay styles existed in the 90s. The attributes of such a game:over the top shooting, you carry 9 or 10 weapons all the time, game play is fast, there are usually secret areas, envs are not destructible, weapons are variations of real weapons but usually have some fantastical elements as well, "chapters" often end with a boss battle, etc.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

13. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 20:56 descender

How do those games you listed actually qualify as new ideas?

CoD/BF/FarCry/Serious Sam... all sequels to niche but well established styles of FPS... which you rattled off along with the games. BL2 is the third or fourth attempt at first person loot grinding (calling these games ARPG is just depressing). Where are the new ideas there?

Better production and graphics don't equate to new ideas in my eyes.

My original point was that the child who originally posted suggests this game is somehow an "old school shooter". What does that even mean? Does it simply mean "just like the old one"? All of the old FPS games had extremely different feels and play-styles to them, so grouping together as some style to be replicated now seems odd.

If he meant, as you put it a "mindless shooter", then what is that? Mindless is a word justified only by your level of involvement, or commitment to achieving something at a high difficulty. There is nothing mindless about trying to beat something like SS3 on the highest difficulty levels, especially in co-op. Any of these games can be played in a mindless fashion, though your level of satisfaction may vary.

12. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 17:24 mag

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 03:12:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 00:32:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 00:23:
You are forgetting Hard Reset

Oh, yeah. I picked it up on sale a couple months ago, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably why it's not front n center.
GO PLAY IT NOW! The rest can wait.

It's lacking multiplayer, though, unfortunately. That was my favorite part about Serious Sam. Four guys running around fending off waves and waves of baddies.

11. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 09:07 Mad Max RW

Hard Reset is nice, but it still suffers the modern tropes of slowed down limited controls, short bursts of sprinting, directed levels, and scripted waves of enemy attacks. They did a good job with keeping the action fast paced, lots of explosions, and secret areas. And it's also surprisingly beautiful to look at and runs better than any AAA game. They did a good job, however not quite as good as the first Painkiller.  

10. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 03:12 netnerd85

jdreyer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 00:32:

Oh, yeah. I picked it up on sale a couple months ago, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably why it's not front n center.
GO PLAY IT NOW! The rest can wait.

9. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 01:26 Krizzen

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:58:
The only modern one that comes to mind is Serious Sam (Oh, and Duke 3D ).

I'm looking fwd to the new ROTT. Looks like awesome mindless fun.

Serious Sam was amazing, and even more so co-op. Something about blasting seemingly endless waves of challenging enemies is exhilarating. I don't think modern shooters are really too far from that concept. It's the shield/regen mechanic that ruins it for me. In the old school shooters, the damage you take is the damage you have to deal with until you can find some medkits. There was no hiding in the corner to turn your god mode back on; you were forced to face the unknown and use your noggin to survive. Oh, and surely their design will discourage saving mid-level, and it won't have "checkpoints".

Anyway, looks like the new ROTT will deliver!

8. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 00:32 jdreyer

7. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 11, 2013, 00:23 netnerd85

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:58:
descender wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:13:
Mad Max RW wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 15:28:
Even though fresch is a douche I still hope this game turns out ok. Somebody needs to fill the gap of old school shooters.

You suggest we need re-tread FPS games because no one can come up with new ideas?

I think he's implying the opposite: that almost all modern games are new ideas (BL2 is the ARPG-shooter, CoD is the arcadey Michael Bay shooter, BF3 is the vehicle shooter, ARMA is the sim shooter, FC3 is the open world shooter, etc.) and that there is a dearth of modern old school shooters. The only modern one that comes to mind is Serious Sam (Oh, and Duke 3D ).

6. removed Feb 10, 2013, 20:04 Mad Max RW

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Feb 11, 2013, 20:31.

5. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 10, 2013, 18:08 nin

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:03:
This is suppose to be on Steam for $14.95

I'd pick it up for that price.

No doubt. They seem like a good group of folks, and it'll be a day one purchase for me.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 10, 2013, 18:03 DangerDog

This is suppose to be on Steam for $14.95

I'd pick it up for that price.

3. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 10, 2013, 17:58 jdreyer

descender wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:13:
Even though fresch is a douche I still hope this game turns out ok. Somebody needs to fill the gap of old school shooters.

You suggest we need re-tread FPS games because no one can come up with new ideas?

I think he's implying the opposite: that almost all modern games are new ideas (BL2 is the ARPG-shooter, CoD is the arcadey Michael Bay shooter, BF3 is the vehicle shooter, ARMA is the sim shooter, FC3 is the open world shooter, etc.) and that there is a dearth of modern old school shooters. The only modern one that comes to mind is Serious Sam (Oh, and Duke 3D ).

2. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 10, 2013, 17:13 descender

1. Re: Rise of the Triad Podcast & Diary Feb 10, 2013, 15:28 Mad Max RW

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo