Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Q&As

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 15:38 jdreyer

@ Beamer, Supcom addresses that radar problem. Once you discover enemy forces/buildings, they remain on your map. But yeah, in the original TA, it would only track what your radar could actually see at present.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 13:16 Beamer

The scale of TA would have been fine had the fog of war been like other games. In other games when you discover something it stays there. In TA it would just disappear back into the fog of war. You'd send a plane out to locate the enemy base, find it, plane would get shot down, you'd click back to your base, then you'd completely fail to remember exactly where you saw those buildings.

A huge, huge, huge flaw.

My friends would never play with fog of war, in part for that reason, in part because they just wanted a huge war. Only one other guy would play with it on with me. Those battles, though, were intense, because the game had such an intricate radar system. Sending a huge attack part out with a bunch of jammers and surprising your enemy was a blast. Of course, if he was smart he had some planes patrolling around his base to try to make sure that didn't happen...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 12:56 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 06:39:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 03:09:
I didn't really like Supreme Commander that much. It was the scale, too big.
I thought that is what made it so unique and challenging.

Yeah, the scale is what I love about it. Just like the original TA. There are lots of small scale, tactical RTSs but very few with a vast scale. But I could see why not everyone would like it.

19. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 06:39 SpectralMeat

netnerd85 wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 03:09:
I thought that is what made it so unique and challenging.

Steam: SpectralMeat

18. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 03:09 netnerd85

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:07:
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:00:
Wallshadows wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 16:06:
Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough but everything I remember coming from GPG and Chris Taylor were over-hyped/under-delivered games such as the Dungeon Siege series.

He must have done something important pre-DS...
It's called Total Annihilation.

And Supreme Commander.

Seems like most of the brains behind both TA ans SC are now doing their own kickstarter Planetary Annihilation, which unsurprisingly met funding and blew past it.

Chris is going to have to shutdown GPG and rebuild his mini game making empire.
Wow. I hope that is not really the art style, that is horrible and childish. Not suited for an RTS at all, IMO.

17. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 01:14 cronik

Total Annihilation was great and Supreme Commander was a solid follow up, especially with the expansion.

Will be a shame if CT goes under.

16. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 11, 2013, 00:34 DangerDog

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:54:
If the kickstarter would have been Supreme Commander 3 I would have supported them. Wildman reminded me to Demigod, but most importantly it did not do anything for me. It did not look like a game I want to play.

Someone said that he sold Supreme Commander rights awhile back. PA fills that void and then some, even under a different name I'm not sure it would have caught on.

15. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 20:50 eRe4s3r

SpectralMeat wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:54:
It did not look like a game I want to play.

This is exactly what I feel about Wildman as well...

14. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 20:43 Golwar

It is kind of difficult, when you like the developer but lost the trust into his products. It saddens me to see the pain that he and his friends have to go through, but I actually believe that an end for GPG might the best solution for them too.  

13. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 19:54 SpectralMeat

DangerDog wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 18:07:
Maybe I'm just not thinking hard enough but everything I remember coming from GPG and Chris Taylor were over-hyped/under-delivered games such as the Dungeon Siege series.

And Supreme Commander.

Seems like most of the brains behind both TA ans SC are now doing their own kickstarter Planetary Annihilation, which unsurprisingly met funding and blew past it.

I can't wait for PA I happily supported them in the kickstarter.
On the PA forum the question came up if they would hire Chris if he close up shop and the general census was that they dont really need him to make PA awesome.
I feel bad for Chris but it was really him who screwed himself up. He has to make games people wants to play.
If the kickstarter would have been Supreme Commander 3 I would have supported them. Wildman reminded me to Demigod, but most importantly it did not do anything for me. It did not look like a game I want to play.

Steam: SpectralMeat

12. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 18:40 jdreyer

nin wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 14:49:
But what the f*ck is this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-Xdee1nN8

I'd take that over Wildman...

Chris addressed this. Kings and Castles was going to cost another $5m to finish, but they could do Wildman for just over a mil, so that's what they went for. This makes some sense as even Planetary Annihilation only got $2.2m from their kickstarter. This also sort of jibes with what Brad was talking about the other day when he mentioned how much easier DOTAs are on the hardware due to the fewer number of units on the screen. ARPGs and MOBAs are just simpler games to make. It's also the case that you can add content incrementally over time like LoL has done over the years.

Kings and Castles is a day one purchase for me, should it ever come out. I hope CT can get it made someday.

11. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 18:07 DangerDog

And Supreme Commander.

10. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 18:05 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 14:36:
His real problem is trying to do games nobody (not even most NICHE gamers) want. Heck, if a HARDCORE top-down, isometric RPG that laments back to a 10 year old franchise gets $1m in less than 24hours and $4.3m overall you know there is potential for stuff people actually want.

Yeah, and it baffles me that he doesn't get this. Chris, it isn't that people don't want to give you money. It's that they don't want to give you money for THIS (Wildman.)

And admittedly, firing your entire staff a few days after your Kickstarter launches, and then admit that even if you get the 1.1 million, you have no idea how you'll get it done, yeah... Not really smart things to do.

Just a wrong approach from day one. Had he done a nostalgia driven Kickstarter for a super-RTS, two weeks before he fired his staff, he'd have his million (and more) already.

Creston

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 18:13.

9. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 17:04 Orphic Resonance

i think the big thing fans talk about is TA and supreme commander

but im with you

regardless of viability, when it comes to cancellations, failures, etc. it doesnt really matter if anyone's product is awesome or not (think: firefly)... there are way too many other variables to consider - you cant hang your hat on "awesomeness"

8. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 17:00 netnerd85

And Supreme Commander.

7. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 16:06 Wallshadows

6. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 15:05 eRe4s3r

Hehe Well, actually it doesn't look so bad (Kings and Castles), but it does nothing new or unique... or at least it doesn't show anything new or unique.  

5. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 14:49 nin

But what the f*ck is this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-Xdee1nN8

I'd take that over Wildman...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 14:36 eRe4s3r

“We’ve gotten a lot of phone calls from people who are interested in publishing Wildman,” says Taylor. “But they would love to see us raise the money on Kickstarter, and then they’ll take us the rest of the way"

Yeah, and saying that a week before deadline is the fastest way there is to having a failed Kickstarter Project.

and this

“So a friend with way more experience in this business than me – 30 years – said, ‘You’ve got to shut the Kickstarter down. It’s gonna leak that you did the layoffs, and people are gonna wonder why the Kickstarter’s still going.’ But another friend of mine made a really impassioned point to me. He said, ‘You know, the people who backed you are going to be super upset. They’re gonna be pissed about this.’”

He should have listened. Shut the Kickstarter down, scrap this attempt at a dota clone mixed with RTS and do something his fans actually want with a *from scratch* kickstarter.

His real problem is trying to do games nobody (not even most NICHE gamers) want. Heck, if a HARDCORE top-down, isometric RPG that laments back to a 10 year old franchise gets $1m in less than 24hours and $4.3m overall you know there is potential for stuff people actually want.

But what the f*ck is this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB-Xdee1nN8 and Wildman when you have the god mother of all RTS games (ROME 2) coming out this year?

I don't hate the guy, in fact I like Chris Taylor, he seems like a good guy, wanting to make games he wants to play. But that is NOT what gets you a million on Kickstarter, especially when it's RTS games that only few people who play RTS games want.

Mhhh, sad.

3. Re: Sunday Q&As Feb 10, 2013, 14:13 EricFate

I'd support the project if I found it interesting in any way. It just looks like more of the same, which is why I kind of stopped playing their products in the first place.  

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo