Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 22:37 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 20:29:
Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 08:19:
Read between the lines here.

Epic releases tech demos for their engine every so often. Without fail, they've become games.
Cliff left Epic. The 2011 has not become an announced game.

Likely answer: it was a sign of a game in development, they were having trouble with the development, game was possibly canceled and Cliff quit, having been drained, or Cliff quit, having been drained, and game was then canceled.

We know Epic has one team working on FortNite, which I think is probably a smaller team than the Gears game got. So that leaves a good chunk of their staff working on something else. I'd figured it was whatever that demo was, looking at a 2014 release date on the new consoles, but maybe it's DOA and maybe they don't have as much in the pipeline as I would have expected.

Rod, Mike and Cliff all left. Probably something fairly traumatic behind it. A "doozy" could connect some of those dots.

Isn't Epic one of the companies you have some insider info on? Actually I think you had said earlier that you've finally exhausted all that.

Yeah, I no longer have any insider info of value.

Though I have an interview coming up this week to get back into games, but the real benefit for you guys in that is that I'd probably have to stop posting, haha.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 20:29 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Feb 11, 2013, 08:19:

Epic releases tech demos for their engine every so often. Without fail, they've become games.

Likely answer: it was a sign of a game in development, they were having trouble with the development, game was possibly canceled and Cliff quit, having been drained, or Cliff quit, having been drained, and game was then canceled.

We know Epic has one team working on FortNite, which I think is probably a smaller team than the Gears game got. So that leaves a good chunk of their staff working on something else. I'd figured it was whatever that demo was, looking at a 2014 release date on the new consoles, but maybe it's DOA and maybe they don't have as much in the pipeline as I would have expected.

Rod, Mike and Cliff all left. Probably something fairly traumatic behind it. A "doozy" could connect some of those dots.

Isn't Epic one of the companies you have some insider info on? Actually I think you had said earlier that you've finally exhausted all that.

8. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 12:55 jdreyer

Nice analysis by the Beam. That sounds like a pretty reasonable explanation.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

7. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 08:19 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

6. Re: etc. Feb 11, 2013, 04:00 .Drifter

jdreyer wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 20:16:
Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:28:
That demo didn't really look any better tjam UT3, which is still the best-looking UE3 game.

What the hell is Tjam UT3?

Guessing it was meant to be "better than UT3."

5. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 20:16 jdreyer

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:28:
That demo didn't really look any better tjam UT3, which is still the best-looking UE3 game.

What the hell is Tjam UT3?

4. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 19:28 Dr. D. Schreber

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

3. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 17:33 Cutter

Usually contracts with these companies have NDA and anti-competition clauses that remain in effect for anywhere from several months to a few years. And Cliff is smart enough not to burn any bridges. All that aside, I seriously doubt there's any real story behind it anyway. They were doing to jack off MS and Sony for the new consoles and that is all.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

2. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

I think that demo is also a case of "If we only had to develop for PCs we could make some pretty amazing shit, but we don't want you to know that since our games also have to run on gimped console hardware."

I still play UT3, and hope they make UT4 when they release the Unreal Engine 4.

But yeah, that article title is clickbait. It tells you absolutely nothing.

And lastly, why is Cliffy B playing coy even though he left Epic and has millions of $?

1. Re: etc. Feb 10, 2013, 14:09 Fion

Epic tech demo's are always cool but they are an illusion that generally features a handful of separate, static scenes that use bitmaps and low-poly backgrounds filled with two or three very high poly characters with all the bells and whistles that would be entirely unfeasible in an actual game because real games have a budget based on hardware constraints.

That particular one was cool as hell, but no less an illusion.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 14:16.

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo