Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Happy Chinese New Year! That's right, today is the first day of the Year of the Snake, though knowing myself, I'll still absent-mindedly be writing Year of the Dragon on my checks for a couple more weeks.

Traditional Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Renegade Racing.
Science: Um, What's This Weird Hunk of Metal We Just Found on Mars? Thanks HARDOCP.
Wind tops U.S. sources of new electricity generation in 2012.
Media: Faces of Gaming.
Too much snow for scooter. Thanks reddit.
Driving In Russia (Week 1 - January - 2013). Thanks nin.

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 13:21 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 22:18:
I never use debit. It's mainly cash for me. If I don't at least have $100 on me at all times I feel naked.
Yeah, I carry significant cash too. Probably more than I should actually, but whatever. If you are 6'2" and don't live in a major metro area, the chances of being mugged are pretty damn low.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 13:18 Mr. Tact

1badmf wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 19:06:
i still occasionally run into people in the supermarket line that write checks. i always roll my eyes as loudly as possible.
I saw someone doing this recently and found it interesting. Hadn't seen it happen in years and now you can give the cashier a blank check, it gets put into the register, prints the amount on the check for you, and you don't have to sign it. They just hand it back to you and get the funds electronically. Smart. Always nice to see useful advances in technology.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 11, 2013, 00:57 ^Drag0n^

#Random musing:

Now for my pennance:

Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr. Pepper **oops!!** Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper Dr Pepper

Do you remember?

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 22:18 Cutter

I never use debit. It's mainly cash for me. If I don't at least have $100 on me at all times I feel naked. That comes from working in a cash business though. I really only use my CC for groceries - as I get points for free groceries - and online purchases - and I don't run a balance on it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 21:58 PHJF

I use a debit card for almost everything, except there is a shitty local grocery chain which only takes cash, check, or discover. Fucking barbarians. If certain things weren't so much cheaper there I'd burn the establishment to the ground.

The "lower class" (a heavily populated group) of Americans have a mistrust of banks or are too lazy/indifferent to use them.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 20:41 1badmf

Kosumo wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 20:16:
Do you guys (in north America) have much in the way of eft-pos (electroic funds transfer - place of sales, not credit) cards there?

How big is cash still in America?

sounds like you're referring to check cards aka atm cards aka debit cards, like previous poster said, draw directly from bank accounts. everyone that has a bank account has one, but personally i only use my credit card because i don't have to worry about overdrawing my account and i have a really good interest rate.

most of the time i don't even carry cash cuz cards are so much easier and so i don't have to lie when a bum asks me for change. half those fucks are liars anyway.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 20:32 nin

Can't speak for everyone, but I use the rule of:

cash - for fast food, grocery, gas, or misc purchases, or any place where I don't feel comfortable trusting the person with my card (aka that 16 YO kid behind the register whos on their first job).

actual credit card - places I deal with frequently and know people, feel relatively comfortable they won't rip me off.

debit card - branded credit card but withdraws from my checking account - only extremely trusted places, where I'm familiar with people or have done business a lot (and used cash or CC previously).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 20:16 Kosumo

Do you guys (in north America) have much in the way of eft-pos (electroic funds transfer - place of sales, not credit) cards there?

How big is cash still in America?

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 19:08 Sepharo

Damn apartment complex only takes a check for the rent. I also just recently finished my first check book... Only 12 years after I got it. 1 down 3 more to go and I'll finally need to buy new checks.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 19:06 1badmf

i still occasionally run into people in the supermarket line that write checks. i always roll my eyes as loudly as possible.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 18:07 nin

Quboid wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 17:17:
Ha! Cheques. I remember those, just about.

No kidding. I can think of one single thing I still have to pay check by, and it's certainly not a monthly bill...

But the joke is still great.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 18:03 Kosumo

Too much snow for scooter is misleading - But a lot of fun still, check it out.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 17:17 Quboid

Ha! Cheques. I remember those, just about.  

- Quboid

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 17:17 xXBatmanXx

Alamar wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 13:50:
Blue,

Year after year... That joke never gets old...

Thanks for the good times ; )

-Alamar

There are 2 jokes I look forward too every year, and think about how funny they will be all thorough out the year.....today and Groundhog day.

In my nerd cheesy like way, I attempted to share a slice of my world with my wife - who looked at me like I am a dumbass and went back to her facebooks.....whatever....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 17:13 Orphic Resonance

Travel

Travel is developmental when small; if travel is correct, it leads to good fortune.

Travel means passing through and not lingering. As to the qualities of the hexagram, above is fire (luminous), and below is mountain (still): Using illumination with stability, illumination being based on stillness, one stabilizes the illumination and does not use it carelessly. Therefore this is called travel.

This hexagram represents nurturing the fire and transcending the world; it follows on the previous hexagram making a young girl marry. In making a young girl marry, there is uncontrolled action based on emotion, obeying the mundane energy of conditioning and burying the primal celestial energy, taking the artificial to be real, taking misery for pleasure.

Practitioners of Tao should first see through worldly things, looking upon all conditions, all existents, as passing by, not injuring the real by delighting in the false, not disturbing the inward because of the outward. Understanding stillness and staying in the proper place, stabilizing illumination so that it is not damaged, when illumination and stillness are used together one can thereby transcend the world while in the world. Therefore travel is developmental when small, and travel leads to good fortune when correct.

In general, travel as a path means just passing through once — you should not remain attached to the realm you pass through. If you are concerned with externals, you forget the inward; by pursuing ramifications you abandon the root. When illumination is called for, then be aware; but while aware still remain calm. When stillness is called for, be still; but while still, remain aware.

Shooting pheasant, one arrow is lost; eventually one is entitled, because of good repute.

Being flexible and receptive, open and balanced, is like "shooting pheasant, one arrow is lost." "Shooting pheasant" means not using illumination; "one arrow is lost" means not using strength. Not using illumination, illumination is replete; not using strength, strength is complete—the whole psycho-physical being is sublimated, and one lets things be as they are. Not losing oneself, neither does one turn away from others. One's virtue is sufficient to move people, and eventually one is entitled because of good repute. This is travel with flexibility and ability to integrate.

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 14:14 jdreyer

Year after year? I've been reading this site since the 90s, but I don't ever recall that. I admit I chuckled.

Lego Death Star versus Lego Alderaan. Too soon?

Well, it was a long, long time ago, as well as far, far away...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 13:50 Alamar

Blue,

Year after year... That joke never gets old...

Thanks for the good times ; )

-Alamar

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 13:32 Cutter

Ahahaha! Never gets old!

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2013, 12:56 Hoop

Drummer ............... *tish*  

Um .. Behind you...

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.