Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Trailer

A new Kickstarter update #23 for Wasteland 2 is titled "Without Further Ado...," as it unveils the first gameplay trailer from Wasteland 2, inXile entertainment's upcoming RPG sequel (thanks Techie714 and nin). They provide a very detailed outline of what's in the clip and how it represents the current state of the project. Here's the introductory paragraph:

Without Further Ado... Update #23 · Feb. 09, 2013 · 190 comments We are very proud to provide the first gameplay video of Wasteland 2, which will allow our backers to see how far we've come and how everything is coming together. The usual way of doing things in this industry would see us create a demo specifically for displaying to the press or at game shows, but we're very glad to have been allowed the freedom to create a demo video from an actually playable area, which ensures there's no wasted code. This is a straight video capture of Development Director Chris Keenan playing the game. The only element that is not running in code is the sound effects, as it was faster to do in post, but as you will hear, there is nothing being done audio wise that isn't easily replicated in engine. In fact, we plan to have many more sound effects in the final game than what is heard here.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

18. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:35 DangerDog

Flatline wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:20:
You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.

I don't mind it, I filter it so when I have time I check out what's new.

unity engine looks like a good fit for this game, sort of photo realistic but no need to be ultra-shiny.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:33 Mad Max RW

Looks great. It's kind of like what I imagined a proper Fallout Tactics without the setting rape or half assed turnbased+realtime combat. Pure turnbased on a hex grid. Awsome. I'm not a big fan of the encyclopedia style dialogue, but it's manageable.  

16. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:32 Dev

John wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:30:
ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 18:14:
Looking pretty good. This is going to be one of the best RPGs next year, I'm sure. Can't wait.

Next year? I thought it was supposed to be out this October unless they pushed the date back. I don't mind because I want them to make it great, but I don't remember them say it was going to be out later than originally planned in the KS.
He's probably still thinking today's date is near the end of 2012

I haven't heard of anything other than October 2013 (this year) from the updates.

15. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:30 John

ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 18:14:
Looking pretty good. This is going to be one of the best RPGs next year, I'm sure. Can't wait.

Next year? I thought it was supposed to be out this October unless they pushed the date back. I don't mind because I want them to make it great, but I don't remember them say it was going to be out later than originally planned in the KS.

This space is available for rent

14. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:29 Dev

MajorD wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:12:
It is good to see they are holding true to the original style (top down, etc.), but I was hoping for something a la Fallout 3 (1st & 3rd Person). I'll have to wait for Fallout 4 for that I guess. Fallout 3, and soon New Vegas (haven't played it yet), will keep me entertained plenty until then I'm sure.
We have plenty of FPS type games for something like that. Ones that get huge amounts of funding. I'd much rather have a nice turn based combat top down view since those are pretty rare, and aren't getting much funded by publishers generally.

Why would you hoping that for this game anyway?
They were clear from DAY ONE of the kickstarter that wasn't the direction for this game. I'm very happy they kept their promise. I wouldn't be interested in backing it if it was just another FPS.

We’re going back to the original and building from there. No first person shooter, we’re going top down so you get a tactical feel for the situation. And we’re not ditching the party play to turn it into some hack-and-slash bloodfest. It’s turn based, tactical, with a storyline that will be deeper and broader.

We’re determined to keep the gritty, grim and satirical writing. We’re going to pitch those moral dilemmas at you. You’re going to be faced with the consequences of your actions.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

13. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:12 MajorD

It is good to see they are holding true to the original style (top down, etc.), but I was hoping for something a la Fallout 3 (1st & 3rd Person). I'll have to wait for Fallout 4 for that I guess. Fallout 3, and soon New Vegas (haven't played it yet), will keep me entertained plenty until then I'm sure.

12. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 18:39 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 17:52:
This is better than I hoped it would be. All the flavor text is going to be fun and the turn based combat is already giving me a just-one-more-turn itch.

Thats what I was thinking

Unless you are a text hater like the other person.
Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 18:38:
I'm happy with what I'm seeing here. I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown. And gods no! We don't need yet more updates. If anything we need less. I don't need to hear about every single friggin thing that crosses their minds ever day. And I mean that for all the KS' so far.

You know you can customize KS settings to not email you updates from projects that you choose? So if a particular project is getting on your nerves, turn off email updates, and look in on their KS page whenever you feel like finding out whats going on.
https://www.kickstarter.com/settings/notifications

11. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 18:38 Cutter

I'm happy with what I'm seeing here. I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown. And gods no! We don't need yet more updates. If anything we need less. I don't need to hear about every single friggin thing that crosses their minds ever day. And I mean that for all the KS' so far.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

10. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 18:14 ASeven

9. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 17:55 TheEmissary

The first look video is quite good. It would be nice if they would do project updates more often. They don't necessarily have to do it with the same frequency that the project eternity or some other kickstarter projects do. Just enough to show incremental progress.  

8. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 17:52 Silicon Avatar

This is better than I hoped it would be. All the flavor text is going to be fun and the turn based combat is already giving me a just-one-more-turn itch.

7. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 17:36 Dev

Blue,
This isn't really a "trailer" its a "first look gameplay" footage thats pre-alpha. Because its not even alpha yet, the sound engine isn't fully implemented and the sound was added in post.

All,
If you are in a hurry to see the gameplay footage, jump to about 2:30 on the video. The first two and a half mins are clips from the radio stations from different factions.

6. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 17:30 Dev

Summing up some stuff about the KS project if anyone hasn't been following it:

"For Wasteland 2, we’re getting the band back together again!. Brian Fargo who Executive Produced both Wasteland and Fallout will be heading the team. Alan Pavlish and Mike Stackpole—the original game’s primary designers—are coming back to put the project together, and we’re rounding up as many of the other designers, like Ken St. Andre, as we can. On top of that, we’ll have music by Mark Morgan of Fallout 1 and 2 fame. The storyline for Wasteland 2 was written by Jason Anderson who was the co-creator of Fallout. We have also enlisted the help of the amazing concept artist, Andree Wallin to help craft the Wasteland 2 world."
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2

Also, they announced they would be getting involved with Chris Avellone if they reached a certain funding goal (since he works for Obsidian now), and they reached it.
"Chris Avellone, “Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I’ve worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor.”"
RPS link
If you look at the KS update about this live gameplay video, they say that Chris was involved in this particular Ag mission design that was in the first look gameplay footage.

Update #7 and #8 contain more detail about Chris Avellone's involvement
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2/posts?page=4

And if you want still more info, they have a development blog with public updates (they've done most of their info updates through that, rather than private kickstarter updates like some projects)
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/blog/

One of the things that has really impressed me is how they've reached out to aspiring artists and asked for art/models to help fill out the game. And they not only are paying for what they use, but have arranged with unity folks to have such art put into the unity asset library where it will be available for other projects to purchase. Plus the artists get their name in a completed game project's credits. Some of those model assets even show up in this video.
Info on how they are doing that:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity

Its not too late to contribute to the game development (money and/or forum involvement with the devs themselves where you can influence the games development):
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store
Digital version pre-order is as low as $25.
Plus, funds from pre-orders go directly into the games development. Currently its scheduled for October release.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 17:49.

5. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 17:25 Dev

Techie714 © wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:46:
Looks really nice! I was a little hesitant on them using the "Unity" engine since I thought it was kind of a low budget option, but I was wrong it looks really nice. I wish the game would be fully voiced I hate all that reading..lol. But that's ok I knew going it that the game would have minimal voice acting. Can't wait!!!

Its because of the cost of doing so. See that star wars MMORPG for an example of a fully voiced RPG type game, one where they focused on the voice probably too much. If you want to give them another $10 million funding, they might be willing to fully voice it for you. Good voice acting is expensive (which is why so many games have crappy voice acting), and thats without even considering having celebrities like skyrim does.

They also mention in the video that it gives them much more flexibility in game design to be able to use just the text for most of it. They can revise and make conversations much more in depth with many additional paths than they could just voicing it.

Another option would be to ask them on forums to make sure it moddable enough to support adding voice. You could get involved with a project like that and record your own voice for parts, and try and get others to help.
Just depends on how motivated you are to get something like that
netnerd85 wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:23:
I was still expecting a 2d isometric game, maybe 3d models. So this is a bit different to what I was expecting. Looks good, the UI need work though.
As they mentioned in the video, they were planning to do fixed camera, but were able to deliver a camera that can rotate, because of the many community art/model contributions (ones they get paid for btw).
This isn't even alpha yet, so if you've backed the project, make your opinion known on their forums and it might well have an effect.
If you didn't back it, its not too late:
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/store
Digital version pre-order is as low as $25.
Plus, funds from pre-orders go directly into the games development. Currently its scheduled for October release.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 17:42.

4. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 16:46 Techie714 ©

Looks really nice! I was a little hesitant on them using the "Unity" engine since I thought it was kind of a low budget option, but I was wrong it looks really nice. I wish the game would be fully voiced I hate all that reading..lol. But that's ok I knew going it that the game would have minimal voice acting. Can't wait!!!

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

3. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 16:23 netnerd85

I was still expecting a 2d isometric game, maybe 3d models. So this is a bit different to what I was expecting. Looks good, the UI need work though.  

2. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 16:20 Flatline

You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.  

1. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 16:02 nin

Looks good, pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

I backed so many of these last year that I now have to go to their KS page and check the package I purchased, as I can't remember.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo