Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wasteland 2 Trailer

A new Kickstarter update #23 for Wasteland 2 is titled "Without Further Ado...," as it unveils the first gameplay trailer from Wasteland 2, inXile entertainment's upcoming RPG sequel (thanks Techie714 and nin). They provide a very detailed outline of what's in the clip and how it represents the current state of the project. Here's the introductory paragraph:

Without Further Ado... Update #23 Feb. 09, 2013 190 comments We are very proud to provide the first gameplay video of Wasteland 2, which will allow our backers to see how far we've come and how everything is coming together. The usual way of doing things in this industry would see us create a demo specifically for displaying to the press or at game shows, but we're very glad to have been allowed the freedom to create a demo video from an actually playable area, which ensures there's no wasted code. This is a straight video capture of Development Director Chris Keenan playing the game. The only element that is not running in code is the sound effects, as it was faster to do in post, but as you will hear, there is nothing being done audio wise that isn't easily replicated in engine. In fact, we plan to have many more sound effects in the final game than what is heard here.

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

38. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 10:08 Riker

Ugly interface... I hope it's placeholder. But it looks like the game has potential.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 10:06 dj LiTh

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 08:28:
Ugh, turn based anything, we are not back in the 70's, hello!

I see your delemma, turn based is a thinking mans game. Clearly not your forte.

36. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 09:59 El Pit

...said the furry little guy under the bridge, completely ignoring that TROLLING is sooo stone age.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

35. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 08:44 netnerd85

late 80's actually.

I played my first turn based game around 2007, it was Domination. Bought it for really cheap, I didn't actually know if was turn based until I got home and installed it. Glad I made the mistake of stumbling into the genre.

Sad to say that I've only recently learnt to branch out into unknown genres and just try anything. Maybe it just comes with age?

34. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 08:28 Jonjonz

33. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 06:43 Dev

Cutter wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 04:49:
Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 03:00:
Edit: Part of my problem is that these games are working on razor thin budgets, and each update does have an actual, monetary cost associated with it. We've seen 20+ post-kickstarter updates for Star Citizen, and if each took an hour to generate, that's a significant amount of work-hours spent on talking about the game instead of making the game.

If I have a choice, I'll take the devs giving us monthly updates as opposed to weekly ones. Concentrate on the work. Please.

^This. My sentiments exactly.
Monthly is fine with me.

Its when a project goes 6 months without an update I start to wonder.

32. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 04:49 Cutter

Flatline wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 03:00:
Edit: Part of my problem is that these games are working on razor thin budgets, and each update does have an actual, monetary cost associated with it. We've seen 20+ post-kickstarter updates for Star Citizen, and if each took an hour to generate, that's a significant amount of work-hours spent on talking about the game instead of making the game.

If I have a choice, I'll take the devs giving us monthly updates as opposed to weekly ones. Concentrate on the work. Please.

^This. My sentiments exactly.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

31. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 03:00 Flatline

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 22:01:
eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 21:44:
Flatline wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 16:20:
You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.

It was an request of MANY backers in the Forums to get email updates, most of us can't be arsed to check dozens of sites every day to see what is new. I wish all Kickstarters would do it actually.. or at least give you an option. And the mails come only once every 7 days, hardly every 17 hours ;p
I agree, and I'd rather see too many updates than too few. With too many, one can just ignore or turn them off (in kickstarter settings). With too few, there's no way to get more information if that information isn't there in the first place.

Also, many email accounts/programs (such as gmail) should be able to do things like filter into other folders if its from a certain email address. It would be the work of probably less than 1 minute to setup a filter for such email that would send it to a kickstarter folder, or directly to trash if desired.

Since I really don't care an awful lot I didn't pay super-close attention to Star Citizen updates. I backed it, and the first thing that comes out after I sign up for the forum is an incredibly elaborate system of asking for more money, and the first several updates seemed geared towards getting me to sink more into the game. So I kind of tuned it out and only read subjects that are interesting to me. So I went back to gmail and looked, and what's happening is that I get every update at least twice: once from kickstarter and once from the forum. Usually about 4 or 5 hours apart. And totally different subjects of times. Which is where my impression that they update multiple times a day comes from.

30. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 02:46 nin

My KS page shows I gave them (Wasteland 2) my addy last May.

Where do you see that? Thanks!

edit: Ah, think I found it...they don't make it obvious.

This comment was edited on Feb 10, 2013, 02:55.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

29. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 02:13 John

ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 20:31:
Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:32:
He's probably still thinking today's date is near the end of 2012

I haven't heard of anything other than October 2013 (this year) from the updates.

Yeap, was with my 2012 mentality on.
Good, I was hoping it was still coming out this year!

This space is available for rent

28. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 02:11 jacobvandy

Yes, very awesome video. I'm looking forward to the steady stream of fruit from this Kickstarter tree I've planted...

Creston wrote on Feb 10, 2013, 01:40:
Which reminds me, have the Wasteland 2 guys asked for addresses etc yet for the physical goodies? I don't think the Shadowrun guys have either, and their stuff was supposed to ship already? (the gifts anyway)

My KS page shows I gave them (Wasteland 2) my addy last May.

27. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 01:55 Orphic Resonance

looks awesome.. although ive never been a big fan of keyword style dialog, they seem to be doing a fairly complex version

ready to explode some dudes like a blood sausage

26. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 01:42 nin

It's going to be awesome.

I hope so, as well. I'm pleased we're seeing projects like this, and that KS helps stuff like this happen.

Between this, Project Eternity, and Shadowrun Returns, I think we're going to have a blast!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 01:40 Creston

Cutter wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 18:38:
I'm happy with what I'm seeing here. I'm down like a clown, Charlie Brown. And gods no! We don't need yet more updates. If anything we need less. I don't need to hear about every single friggin thing that crosses their minds ever day. And I mean that for all the KS' so far.

Nah, I do wish Wasteland 2 and Shadowrun would do some more updates. I'd rather them do more updates that I can choose not to read as opposed to them just being quiet and people having no news whatsoever. I guess in that aspect I'm as bad as a fucking publisher...

And I know they do a lot more updates on the game's site itself, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered to check all these different sites for my updates. Which reminds me, have the Wasteland 2 guys asked for addresses etc yet for the physical goodies? I don't think the Shadowrun guys have either, and their stuff was supposed to ship already? (the gifts anyway)

Creston

24. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 10, 2013, 01:36 Creston

It looks very nice so far. Obviously still very much a work in progress, especially detail wise, but I like the complexity of the turn-based combat, the default view is at a good level, and I love the flavor text as you're exploring.

It's going to be awesome.

Creston

23. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 22:01 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 21:44:
You don't need to do that for Star Citizen. They make sure they email you every 17 hours to let you know that they're still working on it. It actually is getting to be annoying.

It was an request of MANY backers in the Forums to get email updates, most of us can't be arsed to check dozens of sites every day to see what is new. I wish all Kickstarters would do it actually.. or at least give you an option. And the mails come only once every 7 days, hardly every 17 hours ;p
I agree, and I'd rather see too many updates than too few. With too many, one can just ignore or turn them off (in kickstarter settings). With too few, there's no way to get more information if that information isn't there in the first place.

Also, many email accounts/programs (such as gmail) should be able to do things like filter into other folders if its from a certain email address. It would be the work of probably less than 1 minute to setup a filter for such email that would send it to a kickstarter folder, or directly to trash if desired.

22. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 21:44 eRe4s3r

21. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 21:39 Midnight

Looking damn good so far, I'm glad I backed this  
http://www.crimsondark.com

20. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 20:31 ASeven

Dev wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:32:
John wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:30:
ASeven wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 18:14:
Looking pretty good. This is going to be one of the best RPGs next year, I'm sure. Can't wait.

Next year? I thought it was supposed to be out this October unless they pushed the date back. I don't mind because I want them to make it great, but I don't remember them say it was going to be out later than originally planned in the KS.
He's probably still thinking today's date is near the end of 2012

I haven't heard of anything other than October 2013 (this year) from the updates.

Yeap, was with my 2012 mentality on.

19. Re: Wasteland 2 Trailer Feb 9, 2013, 19:44 Dev

DangerDog wrote on Feb 9, 2013, 19:35:
unity engine looks like a good fit for this game, sort of photo realistic but no need to be ultra-shiny.
Yeah, plus it has a lot of cross platform compatibility. My understanding is that it didn't used to offer linux, but that this project (among some other big kickstarters) was a big part of the impetus that got them to officially add it to unity. Linux was one of those things alot of kickstarters were promising to backers and they couldn't use unity if it didn't offer it.

Per wiki: "Unity 4.0 currently supports development for iOS, Android, Windows, OS X, Linux, web browsers, Flash, PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U."

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2013, 20:11.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo